It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Tremors felt 45 miles away from Bayou Corne Sinkhole!

page: 15
<< 12  13  14    16  17  18 >>

join
share:

posted on Oct, 27 2012 @ 02:04 PM
link   
reply to post by AuntB

AuntB, I don't think that there will be a compromise of the entire dome. I believe it is just localized on that 1 cavern. If more was compromised you will see the hole with a waterfall like on Lake Peigneur. Lake Peigneur is a great example of salt dome failure but it is not exactly like this sinkhole. With the Lake a drill bit went right into an active salt mine. The rushing water into the mine kept washing out the salt until the mine reached equilibrium. You are also correct in your assumption on the heavy machinery. A lot of the area is industrial and LA 70 has a lot of heavy truck traffic. LOL I used assumption in there. Get it Assumption Parish. Sorry lol

As for the Bayou Corne sinkhole, it has reached equilibrium already due to it was already filled with a liquid. So there would not be any moving water to wash away that salt. What we see now is the sinkhole growing due to the land around it settling. Of course there is still some displacement that will need to be filled, but now it is in natures hands to finish it off.

To Brie, I really REALLY appreciate your love for the great state of Louisiana. We are unique in so many aspects, from our swamps and wetlands to our form of government (Napoleonic Code). Hey, some of us are not all that smart, but what we lack in intelligence we make up in common sense. We have been getting boned by the oil companies since the dawn of hydrocarbons. They dug canals through the swamps and accelerated coastal erosion. We learned from this and they are no longer allowed to do that. The last big industrial canal I recall being dug was the MrGo in NOLA. They have now had that sealed off and sediments are starting to build up again.

Even with good intentions building levees we learned it harmed us more than helped. I myself live on Bayou Lafourche, the longest bayou in the world. Well it is a stagnet ditch now because they dammed it off from the Mississippi and they only pump water in. We are starting to realize it is causing much harm in Barataria Bay now because the Mississippi sediments are not reaching there. It is trail and error down here, but this land can not afford that. We can get the land back, we just have to start reversing all that is harmful and only time will repair it.

We should hold oil companies accountable for the damages they do, but I do not believe we should demonize the whole industry. There is many other smaller contract companies that are contracted by Chevron, Exxon, and BP that employ thousands of workers. At the end of the day, it hurts them just as much and this is my family, friends, neighbors. I really do not want to see that... Trust me, no one else does either, you probably seen angry Cajuns, you never want to see a hoard of them.
edit on 27-10-2012 by CajunBoy because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 28 2012 @ 09:34 AM
link   
Morning ATSers. New news on the hole front.

theadvocate.com...

It seems that pressure decreased in the aquifer dramatically, but in turn clogged the vent's perforation holes. Though they know for now the gas pressure is low, if it were to rise again,they got a clogged vent pipe.

“I am here tonight to tell you I was wrong on that because what we found subsequent to that, all the perforations in those wells are clogged up, so we were reading low pressure, but it didn’t mean anything because the perforations were clogged up,” Hecox said.

Dr. Hecox is a great man and admits when he is wrong! But what does he do? He looks for another solution, and doesn't give up.

Despite the questions about the extent of the gas, Shaw scientists have been able to determine that some of the natural gas bubble sites in area waterways are from natural decomposition and not underground formations, including some found at more remote sites nearer to Pierre Part, a Shaw map shows.

Also, I knew some of those "bubble sites" were natural. It is natural in swamps and bayous.

“While the pressures of the natural gas accumulations in the aquifer near the observation/vent wells have not yet been directly measured, they are believed to be much lower than the pressures observed during the 2003 Gulf South facility natural gas event,” Courreges said in an email.

I am trying to find info on the 2003 Gulf South event. It may show us how high the pressures really can go. This makes me want to do more and more research on a biotic oil theory....

Also, I read last night of the 7.7 magnitude earthquake in Canada. You will see it on the seismographs placed in Bayou Corne. Just to give everyone a heads up.

edit on 28-10-2012 by CajunBoy because: (no reason given)

edit on 28-10-2012 by CajunBoy because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 30 2012 @ 08:57 AM
link   
Well I think this could be good news. If no new oil seems to be collecting then this area may eventually heal in the far future.

The gathering of oil to one side of the sinkhole has provided some indication that at least the oil could be from a finite source that would not be constantly feeding the sinkhole. Mark Cartwright, a Texas Brine company president, told residents last week in Pierre Part that workers were able to divide the sinkhole in half with oil retardant boom. The side where oil was no longer located showed no re-accumulation of oil, Cartwright said.
theadvocate.com... ses-no

I am feeling optimistic today.

edit on 30-10-2012 by AuntB because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 30 2012 @ 09:00 AM
link   
reply to post by AuntB

You should AuntB
. All is going well, but the sinkhole just continues to grow and balance out. It is just a waiting game now.

posted on Oct, 31 2012 @ 03:22 PM
link   
New information posted on this sinkhole thread. www.abovetopsecret.com... I am concerned that the floor continues to rise.

Would like to point out in this update that they state the cavern floor has risen... 10 feet since Oct 19th 52 feet since Sept 24th
That is 42 feet of debris. I am not a mathematical genius but I am sure somewhere someone is figuring the mass and dimensions.

posted on Oct, 31 2012 @ 04:25 PM
link   
Here is an interesting local video. He noticed a difference in his water after the sinkhole but officials say it is not connected.

Pate lives four miles away from a giant sinkhole in Bayou Corne. He says ever since the hole formed he's noticed something extra in the water. "I noticed more bubbles in the water," said Pate. "I mean it wasn't like that before." Pate's water comes from a private well on his property. He says after heard about what happened in Bayou Corne; he called in the Department of Environmental Quality to help figure out what's going on. The DEQ checked inside Pate's water shed and found increased levels of methane gas.

Faucet water found flamable in Napoleonville man's home
Basically the officials said it is normal and natural but don't drink it.

posted on Oct, 31 2012 @ 04:33 PM
link   
reply to post by AuntB

Sounds like there feeding him a bunch of bull crap but yet dont drink the water? lol and nice article thankx

posted on Oct, 31 2012 @ 05:11 PM
link   
Geez Aunt B. the floor has risen that much and now the water is flammable. Its safe but don't drink it what about bathing in it?!

posted on Oct, 31 2012 @ 05:16 PM
link   

Originally posted by BrieBird
Geez Aunt B. the floor has risen that much and now the water is flammable. Its safe but don't drink it what about bathing in it?!
I think it would be okay to bathe, whats a little methane, arsenic and baranium. But if there is a fire, I would highly advise against using the hose.

posted on Oct, 31 2012 @ 06:21 PM
link   
reply to post by AuntB

This is first I hear of this! My camping trip will now include this test. The location I am going has a private well drilled there and will test the water there.

Reminder this weekend I am taking a camping trip that is 2 miles from the sinkhole. If y'all wish for me to collect anymore information on this trip, post it up on here and I will get it done to the best of my ability.

posted on Oct, 31 2012 @ 07:52 PM
link   
reply to post by CajunBoy

I had forgot about your camping trip. Please note the water. Color, bubbles and definitely see if it is flammable. I had previously seen your map of where you will be going. I would be interested if you feel any tremors or if the people in the area have been noting more movement. You did post a video about that chopper at night. What ever came of that? I recall you mentioned that more vehicles were in the area. I also would like to know if the local farmers to the sinkhole area were allowed to burn their fields. I know that has been happening in LA, but with the possibility of methane, was field burning forbidden this year. Basically, be safe. That area is not stable. You will be miles away but Mother Earth will open up the earth when she chooses.

posted on Oct, 31 2012 @ 08:27 PM
link   
reply to post by AuntB

Sugar Cane burning hasn't been halted. Fields around the sinkhole have been burned though it is normal. It does seem eerie though. Another eerie thing is the drilling rig. Has nothing to do with the sinkhole but is drilling for oil about 3 miles away on the other end of the salt dome. It is located off LA 1000. It is an exploratory well and was planned well before the sinkhole formed. There is oil in the ground 12,000 ft deep but with the fluctuations of gas pressures in the ground, I do find this highly unsafe. I was at my friends house the first night it was up and they thought it was amazing one day it wasn't there and the next day it is. Quiet a sight to see the rig from the front yard.

I will keep my eyes open, ears listening, and my heart full.
edit on 31-10-2012 by CajunBoy because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 1 2012 @ 01:26 PM
link   
BAYOU CORNE, LA (WAFB) - The massive sinkhole plaguing south Louisiana continues to grow, as it has "eaten" another large section of land.

The Assumption Parish Police Jury reported the latest slough in on its blog Tuesday evening.

Officials stated a 20 feet by 80 feet chunk located on the east side of the sinkhole collapsed.

It had been several weeks since the giant sinkhole had claimed more land.

About 500 square feet of earth was lost on Oct. 9.

Video here.

www.wafb.com...

posted on Nov, 1 2012 @ 02:22 PM
link   

Originally posted by AuntB

Would like to point out in this update that they state the cavern floor has risen... 10 feet since Oct 19th 52 feet since Sept 24th
That is 42 feet of debris. I am not a mathematical genius but I am sure somewhere someone is figuring the mass and dimensions.

I like they way they have phrased it. The cavern floor has "risen". It make it sound like the earth is just naturally shifting upwards, rather than the cavern and terrain tumbling into the manmade void. Clever way to minimize it. SMH.

posted on Nov, 1 2012 @ 04:18 PM
link   
reply to post by riverwild

That is a false number, it was actually 100x300. A lot of the news agencies have been getting that wrong. That is what the parish president has been saying. Some have been reporting 20x80 while others report 100x300.

theadvocate.com...

www.texasbrine.com...

NO ONE can agree on the size that it grew. Many believe it was 100x300.
edit on 1-11-2012 by CajunBoy because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 1 2012 @ 04:29 PM
link   
New flyover video:

It defiantly got bigger than the 20x80 they are trying to feed us. Again 100x300 is the true number released by Assumption Parish President. Got to watch it on YouTube for now, can't embed. If anyone has any question about the land around the hole, please don't hesitate to ask! I live not to far from here and I know the land well.

I find it also amusing that almost ALL local news agencies woke up this week. We have been getting swamped with news articles and television news stories. I do use a lot of puns....

posted on Nov, 1 2012 @ 05:11 PM
link   
Incredible thanks for the updated video. It looks like it has gotten a lot bigger! Post some of the new articles the press has been putting out in this area. Are there new concerns?

posted on Nov, 1 2012 @ 05:37 PM
link   
reply to post by BrieBird

Just tried to find any and all new info that I could and it's quite vague. There was a quack or tremor this past tuesday that was quite strong and then yesterday they announced that more land had fallen into the sinkhole. These tremers must be causing more land to collapse but are they caused by the New Madrid Fault Line waking up or are they the result of further collapse of the salt domes? This area is not stable be careful on that camping trip of yours cajun boy. I would be aware of any military movement, aerial activity, sounds, lights and the like that seem out of place for that particular area.

posted on Nov, 1 2012 @ 06:33 PM
link   
reply to post by CajunBoy

Hey CajunBoy, thanks for the updated flyover videos.

In the fifth & final video you posted we can get a good view of the sinkhole size and position relative to the landmarks indicated on the maps. In this video there is a small oddly shaped marshy area. It is in the upper left quadrant of the video, near the center of the frame and in the top fifth of the frame. I hope that wasn't too confusing a description. You can see it in the very first seconds of this video.

CajunBoy, I know you're a local, and any other locals feel free to chime in on this - the local idahopicker on YouTube is claiming this is part of a second, related sinkhole. Can anyone around there provide anything further on this? It is alleged that the corporations & government are keeping this on on the DL as long as possible to avoid panic.

Has anyone seen those videos? I am going to try and dig up a link. I haven't embedded YouTube before and cutting and pasting on this iPad is rough, so bear with me here.

Ok, here goes....

edit on 11/1/2012 by TheOtter because: Added video

posted on Nov, 1 2012 @ 06:35 PM
link   
reply to post by BrieBird

It is more than likely the tremors are from the sinkhole, some are only 600 ft deep.

As for the military activity... funny you mention that. I live near the main railroad line from New Orleans across the Louisiana Gulf coast all the way to Texas. I don't see all the trains that pass but 1 caught my attention yesterday. About 2 dozen Bradlys being transported west. The next train station on the line is in Schriever, Louisiana which would make it the nearest to the hole. But, I don't know for sure if it stopped there or kept heading east. You have to remember, New Orleans is home to the longest port in the world. I wouldn't be surprised if those were just coming back from overseas or just being transported out of Jackson Barracks or the Naval station in Belle Chase.

Another oddity coming out of Belle Chase naval station is drones. I kid you not, drones. I've seen 2 over Thibodaux, and that was atleast when I was outside. Another instance I spotted the drone is when I was in New Orleans directly across the river from the Naval station and seen one taking off. Not to mention the Hornet that flew over my house early September. There is NO reason why they would be having military aircraft over our area. No active military base nearby except Belle Chase 60 miles away near New Orleans.

And a new development y'all will be reading about soon is Louisiana Wildlife and Fisheries has pulled out of the sinkhole area and now is only on call. At the same time, Louisiana State Police is moving there mobile HQ out TOMORROW. Everything will now be HQed with GOHSEP. Though state police hq is moving out there presence is not. A nice way of saying, good luck!

new topics

top topics

<< 12  13  14    16  17  18 >>

join