It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Answering a question that a few have asked...

page: 3
<< 1  2    4 >>

join
share:

posted on Oct, 5 2012 @ 04:51 PM
link   
reply to post by jiggerj

As to why become a mod? Personal choice I suppose. I could have said "no" to the offer. I'd have still made (mostly) the same threads I've made since. But at least one of them would have been received quite differently I think. And my WATS and K ratings would be MUCH higher. If you look at my post and thread count? I think it says something like 1,800 threads started. Most of that number comes from alerting posts. I have, in fact, actually only started about 90 to 100 threads on ATS. And my post count, on the boards, is probably in the 4 to 6 thousand range. All the rest is behind the scenes and often discussing what we profess to... trying to find the right answer to dealing with things. You, as a member, might alert a post you feel is wrong. But staff may then spend 20 pages discussing it. It is the ATS version, I suppose, of jury duty. Not all infractions are severe or obvious enough to be easily decided. The only difference is that we don't wind up with a hung jury. We debate until it's a majority "yay" or "nay".

I accepted the gig for a single reason. I love ATS. And when asked if I'd like to be part of its growth I said "yes" for that reason.

Funny thing. I only had one real run in with staff as a member. And it totally irked me. I stayed away for about a week because I was so angry. I was sure that I'd done nothing very wrong. I had made an off topic comment in a thread that was nothing but off topic comments and was based upon something really bizarre to begin with. As soon as I was "promoted" and began to feel comfortable - I asked the moderator who had removed my post just why he did so. I let him know that I'd felt picked on. Once he took a few minutes to go back and find the post ( as it had been months earlier ) he came back and explained to me what my sin had been. Without giving too much away, I had posted in response to a member with a history of "issues" and I had, unknowingly used words that could have been taken the wrong way - and might look like I was referencing more than I was aware of, or meant to.

Then I understood.

Regarding some other issues addressed throughout this thread in general. Moderators and staff are members as well. If we post something unacceptable - alert it! If you do, guess what? Exactly the same thing happens as does when you alert any post - it gets reviewed by the staff - as a whole.

We do realize that some things, from the member POV, seem suspect or don't make sense. And we also realize that some folks get angry that staff won't discuss it. But let me give you a hypothetical.

Let's say that YOU, one night, get to feeling really good. REALLY good, IE you're a few sheets to the wind. And, in that state, you go on a posting rampage. Staff removes those posts and post bans you. Suddenly twenty other members pop up wanting to know why YOU have gone silent and conspiracy thoughts abound. Would you really want us replying by saying "Oh that person, they got drunk and acted the ass one night...???

Another truth is behind the scenes looks a lot like NOT behind the scenes. I'm a known liberal. Semperfortis is a widely known ultra conservative. Don't imagine for a second that we drop our personal values at the door. FTR Semper and I are good friends. We just disagree, A LOT on certain issues. Just as we would ( and do ) on the boards. The notion that there's this secret cabal running the show falls apart when you see it from that perspective. Just like jurors in a jury deliberation room - we debate strongly to try and find the just answers.

We're mods because we care about ATS. That's really the long and the short of it. And caring is a very personal and unique POV from person to person. What we share is love for the site and the members.

~Heff

posted on Oct, 5 2012 @ 04:56 PM
link   
reply to post by PurpleChiten

Yeah, he took pointers from me because I'm so darn good at it.... and everything else

Yes, its obvious you are a legend in your own mind...

But back on topic, I have to say that on a whole I enjoy the mod input, and wish more moderators would take a cue from heff, and start threads.

I feel bad if they do feel "handcuffed" as Intrepid said, but I think we may all feel like that at times, having to refrain from what we would really like to say.

posted on Oct, 5 2012 @ 05:02 PM
link   

Originally posted by WhisperingWinds

Yeah, he took pointers from me because I'm so darn good at it.... and everything else

Yes, its obvious you are a legend in your own mind...

But back on topic, I have to say that on a whole I enjoy the mod input, and wish more moderators would take a cue from heff, and start threads.

I feel bad if they do feel "handcuffed" as Intrepid said, but I think we may all feel like that at times, having to refrain from what we would really like to say.

Yeah, it is nice to get to interact with them. It actually helps some of us "stay in line" a little better because we don't want to disappoint or cause more work for our "friends" who are mods. Just a thought for the others out there

....not that I'd have any trouble staying in line in any way

posted on Oct, 5 2012 @ 05:08 PM
link   

Sometimes I wish they had a "puke" emoticon on this site..

edit on 5-10-2012 by WhisperingWinds because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 5 2012 @ 05:09 PM
link   
reply to post by Hefficide

You hit on something that is sort of unique to ATS compared to other conspiracy and alternative sites.. the wide variety in the ideologies of the mods. Now.. you cant beat that. Here.. there is a good mix of ideologies, beliefs, passions, experience, and personality among the mods which IMO is hard to find. This flies in the face of the constant claims of some nefarious conspiracy or gang stalking by mods.

The place I co-own/mod everyone agrees with me.. cause I have an ego the size of Texas and its simply a different sort of subject matter. Being attached to a business.. I kinda have to make sure we are all on the same page in that sense.
There are places on the internet dealing with similar subject matter as ATS and its like walking in a minefield when you happen to disagree with the ideology or belief of the mods/Admins/Owners.. cause there is NO variety. EVERYONE plays favorites.. I do too.. however, ATS is the one place that I see the least of it.

One thing that really angered me.. and youve seen it too Heff.. was when we were in chat and the show was going.. and every time semp spoke a member would ridicule or be rude. Partially because of different ideology in previous discussions.. but I swear it was just because he was a mod for the most part.. and being in law enforcement made him an automatic enemy. I dont know if some realize how transparent they are. He was speaking on survival things yet he was "dissed" for his religious beliefs. I dont think some have figured out that here and in real life you can disagree with someone but find things you can agree with as well. Ill say this.. you cant dislike a person for holding fast even in the face of opposition to their convictions.

If Semp had a neck he wouldnt be so irritable. Just an observation.

posted on Oct, 5 2012 @ 05:22 PM
link   

Look again.. we do
I mean its not projectile.. but its a pukey anyway.

posted on Oct, 5 2012 @ 05:23 PM
link   

Oh, you didn't know?

oops, only the exceptionally great folks have access to these

j/k, but you can cut and paste it if ya want

posted on Oct, 5 2012 @ 05:25 PM
link   
reply to post by WhisperingWinds

Oddly, I think it's the first time I ever used that one. But you can find a listing of them all here.

~Heff

posted on Oct, 5 2012 @ 05:34 PM
link   

Originally posted by Hefficide

Oddly, I think it's the first time I ever used that one. But you can find a listing of them all here.

~Heff

Oh cool! I will have to use these!!!! lol

I like it.... lol

:bash:

edit on 5-10-2012 by MamaJ because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 5 2012 @ 05:37 PM
link   

Originally posted by Advantage

Look again.. we do

You are correct... my powers of observation can be somewhat lacking at times, though I am observant enough to not see you as someone with an ego the size of Texas...and you have a great sense of humor as well.

I always enjoy what you have to say in your posts, and you made some very valid points in your last post about cruel attacks on mods just because of their personal beliefs.

Some of the people I admire most in chat have different beliefs than I do, but are respectful in how they put it across.

Omegas Logos comes to mind, and I have to say he is one of the nicest , most helpful, encouraging members on this site, that I have great respect for , though our persona beliefs are very different.

I only wish we could see more of the mods more "human vulnerable" sides, and I think Heff gives a great example to all members by being so honest about his life, and what he perceives as his shortcomings.

posted on Oct, 5 2012 @ 05:40 PM
link   

Originally posted by Hefficide

~Heff

geee taaaanks Heff

So nice of you..and its great to see you don't hold grudges ..

posted on Oct, 5 2012 @ 05:48 PM
link   

Originally posted by Advantage

Look again.. we do

You are correct... my powers of observation can be somewhat lacking at times, though I am observant enough to not see you as someone with an ego the size of Texas...and you have a great sense of humor as well.

I always enjoy what you have to say in your posts, and you made some very valid points in your last post about cruel attacks on mods just because of their personal beliefs.

Some of the people I admire most in chat have different beliefs than I do, but are respectful in how they put it across.

Omegas Logos comes to mind, and I have to say he is one of the nicest , most helpful, encouraging members on this site, that I have great respect for , though our persona beliefs are very different.

I only wish we could see more of the mods more "human vulnerable" sides, and I think Heff gives a great example to all members by being so honest about his life, and what he perceives as his shortcomings.

I LOVE Ol.. he is a real treat when you get him rolling on certain subjects! Heis much more than meets the "eye". About 2 yrs ago I started engaging him in conversations purposely... and let me tell you, he has a wonderful mind... he just doesnt see it. YET! I got him going on a physics theory.. observer influence.. and he knew it and the recent data on it and I hadnt had ONE person know what it was before googling it quickly. He is amazing.
Speaking of.. I may haunt chat tonight. Im SUPPOSED to be going to bed early, but too keyed up to even consider it!

Oh and I fooled you.. I actually DO have the ego the size of Texas, but I work on humility. Im one of those annoying type A egotistical asses. Its easier to sort things and reign in things online IMO
Just what I do.. mods dont have to flay themselves to the public even if they are prone to.. some of our members are cruel and evil minded. Authority issues are only one of the green worms in their brains. I go into it KNOWING each mod is no different than anyone else. They ARE human.. and I dont need the scabs thrown at me to realize it.

posted on Oct, 5 2012 @ 05:53 PM
link   
Well, speaking from my position as a mod of a whole six weeks' standing already...

Heff's right. We do the job because we were asked and we accepted, and I think we all accepted because yeah -- we love this place. Because of the people here and the general cameraderie among the members. I've learned so much here, from so many people...

During the past few years I've spent much of my time in the Fragile Earth forum, looking at many aspects of our planet and what's going on with it. It's great to get involved in the discussions and exchange our thoughts, opinions and knowledge.

Taking on mod duties is one way of giving back a little. And yes, it's voluntary.
We are here when we have the time.

About starting threads: I've never been big on that aspect of contributing, really. Some members are great thread starters and others are pretty good at it, and some are like me -- not so great.
But even so, I've tried to find a balance between the "staff" work and being a regular member. Because first and foremost, mods are members. We're just ordinary people, from all over the place and all sorts of backgrounds.

Mike

posted on Oct, 5 2012 @ 05:56 PM
link   
Yup, they're all human. Some I like, some I love and some I don't care for much. Not many really, most are on the "good list" just like most people are, probably in the same general percentage.

As for me, I tried doing the "modest thing" but finally came to terms with my awesome greatness that so far surpassed average that I realized it was my duty to embrace it and share it with others!!

(I'm really not this bad, I'm exaggerating for Whipering's benefit
)

posted on Oct, 5 2012 @ 05:58 PM
link   
reply to post by Advantage

some of our members are cruel and evil minded. Authority issues are only one of the green worms in their brains. I go into it KNOWING each mod is no different than anyone else. They ARE human.. and I dont need the scabs thrown at me to realize it.

yes, there are many humans with cruel and evil minds...that being said you are correct in stating that mods are only human .

If only we ALL had secret hidden cameras on EVERYONE on this site at all times to watch the real evil, which has little to do with scab throwing.

posted on Oct, 5 2012 @ 05:59 PM
link   

Originally posted by JustMike
Well, speaking from my position as a mod of a whole six weeks' standing already...

Heff's right. We do the job because we were asked and we accepted, and I think we all accepted because yeah -- we love this place. Because of the people here and the general cameraderie among the members. I've learned so much here, from so many people...

During the past few years I've spent much of my time in the Fragile Earth forum, looking at many aspects of our planet and what's going on with it. It's great to get involved in the discussions and exchange our thoughts, opinions and knowledge.

Taking on mod duties is one way of giving back a little. And yes, it's voluntary.
We are here when we have the time.

About starting threads: I've never been big on that aspect of contributing, really. Some members are great thread starters and others are pretty good at it, and some are like me -- not so great.
But even so, I've tried to find a balance between the "staff" work and being a regular member. Because first and foremost, mods are members. We're just ordinary people, from all over the place and all sorts of backgrounds.

Mike

Congrats!! (I think
)
You must have moved on up while I was doing the "new school year" bit and I hadn't noticed

Good luck! I know you guys aren't paid, but they couldn't pay me enough to do the job!!! I have to be patient all day/week long, I don't think I could be patient on nights and weekends too!

posted on Oct, 5 2012 @ 06:03 PM
link   

You're really not that bad?

I dare say I've read enough of your posts before this thread ever started to dispute that.. but hey..if you wanna use me as the excuse.. feel free...just don't expect anyone to buy into it.

posted on Oct, 5 2012 @ 06:05 PM
link   

You're really not that bad?

I dare say I've read enough of your posts before this thread ever started to dispute that.. but hey..if you wanna use me as the excuse.. feel free...just don't expect anyone to buy into it.

well...now that you mention it, I really AM exceptionally good lookin!

posted on Oct, 5 2012 @ 06:09 PM
link   

reply to post by Advantage

some of our members are cruel and evil minded. Authority issues are only one of the green worms in their brains. I go into it KNOWING each mod is no different than anyone else. They ARE human.. and I dont need the scabs thrown at me to realize it.

yes, there are many humans with cruel and evil minds...that being said you are correct in stating that mods are only human .

If only we ALL had secret hidden cameras on EVERYONE on this site at all times to watch the real evil, which has little to do with scab throwing.

Yep, thing is Mods are handpicked and members simply join, its not like they arent observed and researched before being handed any keys. In my case, I even have to do background checks due to the access to users accounts being linked to their paypal or CC. The mods here.... they dont do much without consensus. Even recently we have seen one mods actions rescinded by another mod. Thats that whole safeguard of a wide range of ideologies and etc I mentioned. Its a built in failsafe for a place like this. Members have an appeal process.. there is recourse to a true wrong being done if a mod does it. People just find it too tempting to whine about things and go nutty rather than taking the proper actions to appeal a mods decision.

Lord.. I do NOT want to see some of these folks on hiddden camera.. and Im positive watching me might give some nightmares. However, I do wonder what Ahab actually does in his spare time.. besides having long esoteric conversations with his cat and dancing with tinfoil on his head..

posted on Oct, 5 2012 @ 06:38 PM
link   
reply to post by JustMike

Im not much of a thread starter either. I love ATS and appreciate people like you who I consider to be down to earth and great at conversation.

You make a great Mod, Mike.

Knowing ATS asked you makes me respect the site even more.
Just sayin...

top topics

<< 1  2    4 >>

join