It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Answering a question that a few have asked...

page: 2
<< 1    3  4 >>

join
share:

posted on Oct, 5 2012 @ 01:10 PM
link   
S&F, Heff.

I, too, thought that mods were paid staff so thanks for the enlightenment. Come to think of it, thank you in general for being a mod, and the same to the other mod volunteers who keep this site sane.

posted on Oct, 5 2012 @ 02:18 PM
link   
Well, I'm actually very good friends in real life with two Mods on this site. One is RA (Rising Against), and his professionalism exceeds the human boundaries I could conform to, aha, even beyond the realms of ATS.

The other, who I shall not name, is a little less conformist and amuses me with her opinion on all things ATS, and gave me a little inside knowledge on the staff workings of ATS, although she still tells me to get lost if I ask something I *really* shouldn't . I can assure you all that it is for the main part all professional and above board, although, I think if you knew somethings, it would make you feel a little violated... I know I did!

In regards to staff postings, I enjoy them, I'd never judge a thread, or have my opinion affected by the fact staff posted, we're all human after all.

posted on Oct, 5 2012 @ 02:46 PM
link   
reply to post by Sinny

Rising is not a basic person.
You are very fortunate to have him as a RL friend... speaking with him well before his mod-dom.. he is a truly extraordinary person.

The thing is.. ATS tends to ping those extraordinary people for mods. Some of them are simply brilliant and I too dislike sometimes when they become a mod.. they dont post or respond as they were capable of doing before. I understand it.. but just seems a shame they have to hold back not due to it being bad behavior, but the idiotic comments and targeting of regular ATSers who become mods when they start posting as a mod.

I seem to recall that a mod posting in a thread is modded by another mod. As in its not a stacked deck when a moderator is posting in a subject he or she is passionate about. IE mods modding mods when a mod is posting as a member. Too many M words..

posted on Oct, 5 2012 @ 02:53 PM
link   
reply to post by Hefficide

Interesting...I noticed you posting more and commented about it and also had the thought that it was because of the implied "professionalism" in being a mod...not only from yourselves but from the "community" was what was keeping mods from posting consistently...

Having said that I think that when in a position of moderation perceived authority or management....it becomes apparent...how incredibly...impractical some of the expectations are...Mods will be the first people to be called out for anything even close to TOS breach...why? Well because they are enforcing the TOS...

Do I think mods should have to censor themselves? NO...
Do I think mods should have to curtail their belief's to seem professional in the eyes of everyone?? NO...professionalism is a relativistic term anyway...
Do I think mods have to play by the same rules everyone else does? YES...

The problem with modding is you don't want to seem like a hypocrite when you break the very rules you enforce on others...

As a non-mod breaking the TOS may mean a loss of digital digits and generic sticker on your post or a paid vacation from the side for a period of time...

As a mod breaking the TOS means some incoming flames, a perceived lack of integrity in the "system" and how its enforced, perceived favoritism and a perceived agenda to censor or control opinions/comments etc...

This is the nature of the beast when dealing with ATS members...they are inherently suspicious of "authority" many are too clued into the games of the government and propaganda and the like...this makes them extra harsh on those who take "leadership" or "authority" positions...especially on this site...

I'm not going to lie I have in the past seen some inconsistent enforcing of TOS that makes me question the legitimacy of the system at times...I've seen some members get away with things that others do not, I've seen some posts disappear completely because they break the TOS...and others remain for some time until they are addressed...ATS member by nature are inclined to see this as censorship first...its a fair possibility that moderating cannot be 100% equal...but its a less apparent possibility to those who question authority...

Personally I love when mods post...it makes the site feel more alive...I love their opinions and as they are typically the more active and quality posters is keeps the site refreshing and new....

please keep posting and try to talk the other mods into posting more as well...the quality is needed and missed.

posted on Oct, 5 2012 @ 03:17 PM
link   
Heff,

I think you are cooler than a fan!

Actually, so far so good. I have not felt as if the mods were anything but cool and pretty much fair or as they seem fair anyway.

I never thought a mod got paid either as I expected it to be on a volunteer basis, nothing more.

Hope this cleared up some peoples misconceptions though...

Jenn

posted on Oct, 5 2012 @ 03:32 PM
link   
reply to post by Hefficide

Why become a mod? I might be more moody than most, and if I go too far in a post I fully expect a mod to do something about it (in a professional manner). But, in no way would I, or could I, censor myself 24/7.

If I were asked to become a mod, the answer would be a definite no. Plus, I don't come here to control anyone, but if someone is going to snip at me, I'm snipping back.

So, if the mods are popping in from time to time, but not chatting, then why come here at all? Is it because of a need to control others? Do these silent mods get a sense of power out of it? If coming here is a job (that doesnt even pay), really, why bother?

posted on Oct, 5 2012 @ 03:38 PM
link   
That was a nicely done thread, Heff. I saw nothing wrong with it.

And GGRRRRRR X( on the comment about your mental illness.

posted on Oct, 5 2012 @ 03:55 PM
link   
reply to post by Sly1one

I'm not going to lie I have in the past seen some inconsistent enforcing of TOS that makes me question the legitimacy of the system at times...I've seen some members get away with things that others do not, I've seen some posts disappear completely because they break the TOS...and others remain for some time until they are addressed...ATS member by nature are inclined to see this as censorship first...its a fair possibility that moderating cannot be 100% equal...but its a less apparent possibility to those who question authority...

I have seen the inconsistencies as well (some very obvious) , though on a whole I think the majority mods do try and do their best.

I personally don't see mods posts getting attacked just because they are mods as heff as suggested, but I don't see everything in all threads.

I have seen mods get 3 to 4 times the stars for a post , when others who have basically said the same thing get little attention.

If anything I think mods get more stars and flags simply because they are a mod much of the time.

I have dared to disagree with what some mods have posted,and at times misunderstood where they were coming from .

I will always say what I have to say, and I will never suck up to a mod just because they are a mod, or any member for that matter, just because they are part of the "popular" crowd.

I have starred and flagged mods posts because I thought they were great as well, and I do wish more would contribute, though I really don't think they don't contribute for fear of being attacked, because I see no evidence of that , considering all the stars and flags they get when they do contribute.

Mods, as members, need to realize that not everyone will agree with them concerning certain issues, and that is all part of being on a forum like this.

posted on Oct, 5 2012 @ 04:06 PM
link   

Originally posted by WhisperingWinds
I have dared to disagree with what some mods have posted,and at times misunderstood where they were coming from .

Wouldn't have it any other way. Little discussion if someone just doesn't post because it's a mod. This happens to me a lot but not because I'm a mod. It's because I'm usually right.

I will always say what I have to say, and I will never suck up to a mod just because they are a mod, or any member for that matter, just because they are part of the "popular" crowd.

Everyone should have their say, inside the T&C. As for being popular, I wouldn't know anything about that. I'm one of the least popular members here. Probably because of what I just posted above.

Mods, as members, need to realize that not everyone will agree with them concerning certain issues, and that is all part of being on a forum like this.

Exactly. That's what makes this site interesting. That is also why it's worth working for.

posted on Oct, 5 2012 @ 04:07 PM
link   
I thought your post was great!

As I told you in a U2U, I hadn't really noticed you until the past couple of weeks. Sorry about that. I think you're flashy new avatar caught my attention. I do like your posts and your interaction.

If it helps any, I was a mod on AOL back in the days when it was the big thing online. (We had screen names with HOST_ _ _ _ or other prefixes depending on what area we 'worked'). We had a "linked account" for our moderator name and kept our regular member name. Granted, we had to be more careful and considerate with our posts and ensure we didn't get ourselves in trouble, but we were still able to interact as a "normal member" without it interfering with our moderator account.
I don't know if that would work here or not, but thought I'd throw it out there

posted on Oct, 5 2012 @ 04:20 PM
link   
reply to post by PurpleChiten

There is a reason you haven't noticed me until recently! I wasn't here!

I was a very active member from '08 to '10 (that's when I agreed to become a mod) shortly after that, however some health problems put me in a financial hole. Just keeping Ramen noodles in the pantry and the electricity turned on ( most of the time ) was just about impossible. In a situation like that one tightens ones belt. Part of that tightening was to go without Internet for about 18 months.

During that time I would log on occasionally from my sisters house, or from the library - but not often.

About two months ago things changed and I, again, had full time 'net access.

So I wasn't here to be noticed~

~Heff

posted on Oct, 5 2012 @ 04:23 PM
link   

Originally posted by Hefficide

I was a very active member from '08 to '10 (that's when I agreed to become a mod) shortly after that, however some health problems put me in a financial hole. Just keeping Ramen noodles in the pantry and the electricity turned on ( most of the time ) was just about impossible. In a situation like that one tightens ones belt. Part of that tightening was to go without Internet for about 18 months.

During that time I would log on occasionally from my sisters house, or from the library - but not often.

~Heff

Well welcome back!! I'm glad you're here!
I'm adding you to my "Moderators I like a lot" list!

There's quite a few of ya!

Heck, I even like Intrepid up there!

edit on 5-10-2012 by PurpleChiten because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 5 2012 @ 04:36 PM
link   

Originally posted by intrepid
It's because I'm usually right.

Oh lawd.. someone duct tape my fingers together so I cant type...

.... and your humble lack of ego is refreshing.

posted on Oct, 5 2012 @ 04:39 PM
link   

Originally posted by Hefficide

~Heff

I wondered why you werent in chat for so long.
Obviously things are looking better for you. Keep it that way. If Id have known, Id have loaded you up on recipes from my 101 things to do with Ramen Noodles book.

posted on Oct, 5 2012 @ 04:40 PM
link   

Originally posted by Advantage

he is humble..compared to some other members on here..and I'm not referring to any of the mods.

posted on Oct, 5 2012 @ 04:41 PM
link   

Originally posted by PurpleChiten

"Even"? See you proved my point. I'm ATS' Rodney Dangerfield.

I will say though that there are times that a staffer wants to say something that will actually be inside the T&C but might be too provocative. One has to ask oneself, "Is it worth it?" This is a conspiracy site and many(most?) have it in for "the man". Here that's us. Why antagonize? I call it "the handcuffs".

posted on Oct, 5 2012 @ 04:46 PM
link   

"Even"? See you proved my point. I'm ATS' Rodney Dangerfield.

I will say though that there are times that a staffer wants to say something that will actually be inside the T&C but might be too provocative. One has to ask oneself, "Is it worth it?" This is a conspiracy site and many(most?) have it in for "the man". Here that's us. Why antagonize? I call it "the handcuffs".

Glad I could help make your point!

No respect, just no respect

here's a gift for ya

www.brainyquote.com...

"I told my psychiatrist that everyone hates me. He said I was being ridiculous - everyone hasn't met me yet."

posted on Oct, 5 2012 @ 04:46 PM
link   

he is humble..compared to some other members on here..and I'm not referring to any of the mods.

Ol Intrepid is quite possibly the most under rated comedian of ATSdom...

posted on Oct, 5 2012 @ 04:48 PM
link   

Yeah, he took pointers from me because I'm so darn good at it.... and everything else

posted on Oct, 5 2012 @ 04:48 PM
link   

You just don't know him very well.

new topics

top topics

<< 1    3  4 >>

join