It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Feds: Notorious Alleged Con Man 'Bobby Thompson' Was Military Spy

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Oct, 1 2012 @ 02:28 PM
link   
Feds: Notorious Alleged Con Man 'Bobby Thompson' Was Military Spy

A major con man swindled charity donors out of more than $100 million dollars, in a case that has been brewing for some time. He ran the fake charity "U.S. Navy Veterans Association" under a pseudonym "Bobby Thompson", eventually having to go on the lam under this name until he was caught by Cleveland's U.S. Marshall's officers in Portland, Oregon and remanded back to Cleveland, Ohio. The trouble for the authorities however has been to determine "Bobby Thompson's" real name. Thompson has been sitting in a Cleveland jail without bail since authorities could not determine his real identity (not to mention having $100 million stashed away some where provides the means and motivation to run). He has even taunted the judge to try and determine who he was.

Authorities revealed today that they believe "Bobby Thompson," the man accused of using a fake veterans charity to swindle more than $100 million and to rub shoulders with top-level Republicans, is actually a former military intelligence officer named John Donald Cody.

Officials said Cody has been on an FBI watch list for 25 years after being accused of various frauds and was wanted for questioning related to an espionage investigation.

U.S. Marshal Peter Elliott told reporters that he discovered Cody while searching through old FBI Wanted posters. He said details about the two identities kept matching up, from his unusual hairstyle, his history in the state of Arizona, and his knowledge of the law. Cody, Elliot said, had graduated from Harvard Law School.

Thompson led authorities on a cross-country manhunt that a U.S. Marshal called the "one of our most challenging fugitive investigations to date."

But even after he was caught, the man proved to be a challenge for officials. When taken to court days after his arrest, the man then-known as Thompson dared prosecutors to discover his identity.

John Donald Cody had been on the FBI wanted list for over 25 years, wanted for various scams and frauds. His FBI wanted poster is now listed as "captured":

FBI - John Donald Cody
(fbi.gov)

Additional background on story:

posted on Oct, 1 2012 @ 02:34 PM
link   
A slightly better article on explaining just how his identity was established is here:

US: $100M Scam Suspect in Ohio Is Harvard Law Grad

U.S. Marshal Pete Elliott said the man who identified himself as Bobby Thompson and signed legal papers as "Mr. X" is really John Donald Cody, 65, whose true identity was uncovered through 1969 military fingerprints that didn't make it into the national crime system.

Elliott said he found a wanted poster for a similar-looking pompadour-wearing man who had disappeared after being accused of defrauding a legal client. The FBI searched military fingerprint files and found Cody's prints matched those taken from the suspect when he was arrested this year.

The suspect had served as a captain in U.S. military intelligence, Elliott said.

Sounds like Hollywood has the makings for another movie - Harvard Grad, Military Intelligence, Rubbed elbows with bigwig politicians, Ran huge $100 mil scam, On the lam for 25 years, etc., etc., etc.

posted on Oct, 1 2012 @ 02:39 PM
link   
I guess he probably wishes he didn't "dare" them to find out who he was now... Being that they did and all.

posted on Oct, 1 2012 @ 03:03 PM
link   
When you pull a $100 million scam, it's a safe bet the feds will turn over every rock to find out who you really are - although 25 years on an FBI wanted list (under another name) and a captain in military intelligence, I'm surpirsed it took them this long.

posted on Oct, 1 2012 @ 03:13 PM
link   
reply to post by Blackmarketeer

He probably thought he had some type of card to play with the authorities given some of the high profile relationships he had. Maybe thinking it would protect him in some way... Seems it didn't and embarrassment is nothing compared to how they might prosecute him.

Interesting case, will be worthwhile to check in later and see what comes out of it.

posted on Oct, 1 2012 @ 04:41 PM
link   
So nobody else thinks that it's odd that this con man was able to meet with highlevel political offical? (like the POTUS and his advisor). I bet they find the money, and it's in an offshore acount plus it's all there. I'm thinking this scam has it's links to the Bush Estate in Paraguy.

$100mil missing, A Harvard Educated Military Intel guy, and a former US President. If that doesn't smell bad I don't know what does.

posted on Nov, 12 2013 @ 08:24 AM
link   

It already is a movie, this is from the Yahoo article today:

"It was a tale ripped from Hollywood. U.S. Marshals who finally caught him believe he modeled his life after the famous imposter from the blockbuster "Catch Me If You Can." A copy of the Leonardo DiCaprio movie was among the few personal possessions he kept at a Portland boarding house."

posted on Nov, 12 2013 @ 08:27 AM
link   

I think he was still doing "military"/CIA work and thats why he's been so hard to catch. How else was he able to get into the white house and do the things he was doing. I bet he was helping fund black ops.

news.yahoo.com... 4-482c9bdcdc6a

P.S. I can't believe there are not more people all over this thread!

posted on Nov, 12 2013 @ 01:28 PM
link   

cheebie23

I think he was still doing "military"/CIA work and thats why he's been so hard to catch. How else was he able to get into the white house and do the things he was doing. I bet he was helping fund black ops.

news.yahoo.com... 4-482c9bdcdc6a

P.S. I can't believe there are not more people all over this thread!

Agreed on the PS so am going to give it a *bump* and do a little digging on my own.

What an interesting character...you can't make this stuff up...

new topics

top topics

join