It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

A mathmatical Equation on how to find UFOs

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Oct, 16 2004 @ 09:43 PM
link   
"Any effort to communicate with intelligent life elsewhere in the universe starts with the assumption that there is intelligent life elsewhere in the universe. But how do you figure that?"

The full article can be found here www.signonsandiego.com...

It mentions the equation suggested by Frank Drake.
N=R(*)F(p)N(e)F(l)F(i)F(c)L

basically saying that if you know R(*) the mean rate of star formation, F(p) and the fraction of the stars that have planets, N(e) the average number of planets in a planetary system suitable for life, F(l) the fraction of suitable planets on which life actually develops, F(i) the fraction of life-bearing planets on which intelligent life develops, F(c) the fraction of intelligent life-bearing planets on which the capacity for interstellar communication develops, and L the average lifetime of a technological civilization, that one can decifer N, the present number of extraterrestrial races capable of interstellar communication.

I personally, don't understand how in the world one would go about finding these things or whether or not the equation would actually work, but I was interested in finding out how people would respond to this information, having it presented to them.

posted on Oct, 16 2004 @ 10:00 PM
link   
OT but what is the meaning of your sig??

posted on Oct, 16 2004 @ 10:06 PM
link   
Of all the replies... I had hoped for one that pretained to the subject, but what the hell... My signature means nothing. Truely, nothing. And I've been meaning to change that. The only thing is could mean is that Pi is the last word of my user name. Because the first word is my name.

posted on Oct, 16 2004 @ 10:18 PM
link   
The Drake equation was designed to estimate the number of intelligent technologically advanced civilizations exists in our galaxy. I believe the final tally comes up to around 200, although my memory about the specific number could be wrong as I last reviewed this several years ago.

MK

posted on Oct, 16 2004 @ 10:22 PM
link   
But how in the name of Fox did you come to this conclusion? How did you get the information used for the symbols in the equation?

posted on Oct, 16 2004 @ 10:59 PM
link   

Originally posted by Guinpi
But how in the name of Fox did you come to this conclusion? How did you get the information used for the symbols in the equation?

I think the value of pi, being an irrational number is truly a mystery and by definition one that will truly endure. There is a kind of poetry in such logic.

posted on Oct, 16 2004 @ 11:03 PM
link   
Indeed there is GradyPhilpott. Thank you for taking notice.

posted on Oct, 17 2004 @ 02:53 AM
link   

Indeed there is GradyPhilpott. Thank you for taking notice.

What I got, was that pi = circle = infinity = true mysteries never end
Also, piguine - after the last letters of your name pi, guin follows. I am going to take a logical liberty and turn the I, into an e, to make penguin.

Penguin = polar creature = north and south pole = pi again(technically the Earth is not perfectly round) = your you again = reincarnaton = infinity

This was totally off topic, and nonsense, but I was just in the mood.

[edit on 17-10-2004 by Indigo_Child]

posted on Oct, 17 2004 @ 02:55 AM
link   
www.activemind.com...

Check out that site. It allows you to put in the data and run the equation.
I got around 10,000.

posted on Oct, 17 2004 @ 04:24 AM
link   
A (mathematical) Equation (pertaining to) how to find UFOs? Not really, the drake equation is relevant to calculating the odds of intelligent life in our galaxy. I fail to see the relevance this eqation has to do with finding a UFO. However I do see the relevance to an intelligent species of life elsewhere in the galaxy seeing us, but them actually coming here is another factor entirely. I think you would need to add a couple more variables to the equation. Firstly you would need to factor how many of the civilizations developed both the technology to detect us, and secondly the number of the civilizations that are capable of traveling the distance to reach earth. You might also factor in the desire, the want or need for them to come here as explorers� or whatever.

Thanks for the drake equation calculator Lucid Lunacy. The description for the figures doesn�t seem to be as �loaded� as the descriptions at the SETI-institute calculator. If anyone is interested you can find that calculator here:
www.seti-inst.edu...
Though it does have loaded descriptions, you can enter any figure you like.

The drake equation is an equation (still) based on odds. We haven�t yet come to a point where we can plug accurate figures into the equation, such as how many earth like planets could be formed. Of course, just earth like planets alone doesn�t take into account that some alien life might not need the same chemistry that we do to live.

I think we may have crapped out before we even rolled the dice. It�s a definite possibility. Either that or someone has some explaining to do!

[edit on 17-10-2004 by Seth76]

posted on Oct, 17 2004 @ 05:01 AM
link   
yes the equation would work... its a rather simple statistics equation. The difficult problem is in getting accurate data, which in this case is nearly imposible to even get a sample.

secondly this has absolutely nothing to do with locating ufos... or ufos at all for that matter, for ufos to be involved you would need an f(u) - the probability of a civilization with "ufo's" :-P

posted on Oct, 17 2004 @ 07:22 PM
link   
Right it doesn't include one for UFOs directly. I think the assumption is if they can communicate with us from insane distances they can probably travel it?
fc = the fraction of fi that communicates:

dunno

posted on Oct, 17 2004 @ 08:49 PM
link   
Well I'm sorry if I insulted you all with my misleading topic sentence. Just kidding... But still. C'mon people. Let it go.

posted on Oct, 17 2004 @ 09:01 PM
link   

Well I'm sorry if I insulted you all with my misleading topic sentence. Just kidding... But still. C'mon people. Let it go.

Not sure who you were addressing? You didn't insult or mislead me...

posted on Oct, 17 2004 @ 09:23 PM
link   
I was actually addressing Seth76, but only in a totally sarcastic and frivolous tone. Didn't mean to confuse anyone.

posted on Oct, 18 2004 @ 04:20 AM
link   

I was actually addressing Seth76, but only in a totally sarcastic and frivolous tone. Didn't mean to confuse anyone.

I�m not insulted by the topic being a little misleading, no big deal really. Also, I don�t feel that there is any reason for you apologize with or without sarcasm. You made a post; I gave my opinion and insight. This is what we do here on the board, right?

Now, make like Fonzie and be coooool�

OK?

[edit on 18-10-2004 by Seth76]

top topics

join