It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Monsanto's Fading Grasp Group Calls on South Africa to Ban GMO

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Oct, 1 2012 @ 12:14 PM
link   

Monsanto's Fading Grasp Group Calls on South Africa to Ban GMO

www.nationofchange.org

Following in the footsteps of nations like France and Russia, South Africa may soon be the latest nation to enact a ban on Monsanto’s GMO corn that was recently linked to tumor development and organ damage in rats. South Africa’s African Centre for Biosafety (ACB), a watchdog organization that was created to protect consumers from various biotechnology dangers, is now calling on South African authorities to enact a ban on Monsanto’s tumor-linked maize crop known as NK603.

This is particularly important when it comes to South Africa as white corn is a large staple food, making up for 8
(visit the link for the full news article)

edit on 1-10-2012 by Maxmars because: fixed title

posted on Oct, 1 2012 @ 12:14 PM
link   
Monsanto sure has had their butts kicked lately and it looks like it may get worse for them.

South Africa may be the next country to follow the footsteps of countries such as France. This is nothing definite but it is a step in the right direction, and it appears that recent findings about the dangers of GMO have caused a domino effect that are waking people up to the dangers of this poisonous product.

We are cheering for you South Africa!

Related Threads:
France Maintains Key Ban on Monsanto's GMO Maize Crops
Study finds tumors in rats fed on Monsanto's GM corn
Storm over genetically modified maize study worsens

www.nationofchange.org
(visit the link for the full news article)
edit on 1-10-2012 by Corruption Exposed because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 1 2012 @ 12:57 PM
link   
I am terribly worried about this.

I am following these developments and can't help but wonder if we are not being "set-up" to lose the battle against food monopolies based on gene patenting.

Now, I must maintain that I object to the mechanisms used to create and deploy a better food source. My objection is based upon some side issues that matter to me. For example: that any improvement to the hardiness or yield of any food product should not lead to a commercial monopoly; that any such changes - either via horticultural, chemical, or biological manipulation of the food source's physiology or ecological load, should be well-tested and publicly open to review (no trade secrets) ... and my most cynical tendency is that those producing the food be obliged to eat it.

Now, this relates to the issue in a way that disturbs me.... when the initial study was released by the French researchers, there was an immediate public relations reaction on the part of any media chain that has a corporate relationship to the big money behind and within Monsanto.

Many (read the threads) news outlets scoured their contact lists drudging up every University professor, quasi-governmental, or notable talking head to make certain that we understood that "they" have no confidence in the research and went so far as to point out that this researcher (and or his or her group) was suspect of not undertaking "good science" and being determined to a preconceived outcome.

In fact, they made it seem clear that they were prepared to report many inconsistencies in the data and methodology of the study. Some claimed the test animals were predisposed to tumors, that the sample size was too small, or that the math was done wrong. They have reported anything but confidence in the report about cancer-causing-GMO-maize.

Now - what if the entire exercise was to use bad research to make this claim, get a bunch of press on it - and then, when the time is right; destroying the research to create a "GMO vindication" moment in the minds of the public. They have already succeeded in making most of the world believe that their crops yield more (even when they don't) and that farmers LOVE this stuff.... even though it costs them more, restricts their farming practices, creates long-term indebtedness to the patent-holding giant, and even forces them to buy special tractor tires which were getting destroyed by newer-better-more hardy the corn stalks.

I hope we don't get taken by the marketing folks; who seem well on their way to making these research results seem like the work of anti-establishment hippies.

posted on Oct, 1 2012 @ 12:57 PM
link   
The dreaded double-post strikes again!

edit on 1-10-2012 by Maxmars because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 1 2012 @ 01:10 PM
link   
reply to post by Maxmars

I agree with your perception of this potential scenario that you have shared.

This might be easier said than done, but we need various non biased, non affiliated, reputable organizations to continue these studies. The problem this causes is that non biased organizations who will not take bribes are very rare so therefore anyone willing to participate in these studies will most likely be considered an "anti establishment hippie" and if their findings support the French study, it will just be discredited by the media and the other establishments that report this kind of stuff.

The key factor is getting these studies done is to have them done without Monsanto and their corporate thugs interfering, which is almost impossible in my opinion.
edit on 1-10-2012 by Corruption Exposed because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 1 2012 @ 02:44 PM
link   
reply to post by Maxmars

Said it best:

posted on Oct, 1 2012 @ 04:53 PM
link   
I am wondering if I should move to South Africa!
But then i'm like wait a minute.........

Funny, I was just about to create a Rant in the Rant section about GMO

posted on Oct, 1 2012 @ 05:06 PM
link   
reply to post by ModernAcademia

I don't blame you for wanting to rant about GMO.

I would be willing to live in almost any country that completely bans GMO products even though that will never happen. Even with the corn ban in France, there will still be other crap with GMO in it.

That's worth ranting about.

posted on Oct, 1 2012 @ 05:09 PM
link   
Here's a new article that just surfaced ... and it's intent is to tell us what to think about this... watch it fizz!

www.abovetopsecret.com...

posted on Oct, 1 2012 @ 06:01 PM
link   

Originally posted by Maxmars
Here's a new article that just surfaced ... and it's intent is to tell us what to think about this... watch it fizz!

www.abovetopsecret.com...

haha
My rant is in that thread
Hope you don't mind!!!

But ya, GMO is horrible
I want GMO foods to be labelled GMO!!!!!!!!

posted on Oct, 1 2012 @ 06:39 PM
link   
Monsanto needs to go down!

And that's a fact...

posted on Oct, 1 2012 @ 08:37 PM
link   
reply to post by Maxmars

Food monopoly is right. The Potato has been modified many times. Most of the time it is modified to make it less toxic to humans, like reducing it's solamine. Nobody pays huge patent rights for the potato, once it's modified it is usually just released into the public. Anyone can grow potatoes, You just need to know how to get the antisprouting chemical neutralized.

posted on Oct, 1 2012 @ 10:10 PM
link   
I look real forward to the day I can walk into any grocery store and the store will be split/sectioned in half according to 'GMO' or 'Non-GMO'...

Two very distinct, separate sections ... 'GMO FOODS' and 'NON-GMO FOODS '...

and, although the store is full of customers, no one is shopping in the 'GMO Food' isles.

posted on Oct, 2 2012 @ 01:41 PM
link   
Thank goodness for the goodness in people to see the goodness in whole foods!

∞LOVE∞
mayallsoulsbefree

posted on Oct, 2 2012 @ 07:15 PM
link   
Yeah, with their people starving and unable to grow weeds over there they should turn down food. These countries are as idiotic as some of the people over here. Rather starve yourself then eat processed food, really? And by the way, this is the least of their worries.

posted on Oct, 3 2012 @ 08:02 AM
link   
I don't see how anyone could trust the company that helped make agent orange or aka super death round up

posted on Oct, 3 2012 @ 08:28 AM
link   
reply to post by Jana12

And that's why they are fighting against labelling. They know that if we know, we won't buy it.

So we don't know what we are eating, and they like that.
I don't like that, I get served corn for supper and I wonder what I am eating.
I like confidence in the food I eat, not ignorance.

top topics

join