It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Britain's first carbon negative street..!

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Sep, 30 2012 @ 12:03 PM
link   
Britain’s first ever ‘carbon negative’ street was unveiled today.
Where toilets are flushed with rainwater and there is even a hotel for bugs....!!

Sinclair Meadows in South Shields, South Tyneside

This is fantastic..! Great to see Britain being practically involved in the eco movement...

Residents in the 21 timber houses which make up Sinclair Meadows in South Shields can sleep cosily in the knowledge that they live in the most eco-friendly social housing development in the UK.
The grand design has been created by not-for-profit housing provider Four Housing Group and 52 residents, ranging in age from two-weeks-old to pensioners in their 70s, are due to move in this week.

I think this is one of the best parts...

Families living on the street will receive extensive training so they can learn to make the most of their new homes.

I think its important that people are educated on how to live eco-friendly. I know there is a lot of people who just don't have a clue... I remember watching a program about the families who lived under the poverty line in Britain - it was shocking - there was one scene where the children were playing outside fighting each other with huge rhubarb sticks and not even knowing what they were..! Whilst the mother said she only had about £4 to feed the family on that night - so apparently she had no choice but to go and get them a greggs slice each.....?! But anyway thats another thread entirely...

More needs to be put into educating people into how to live eco-friendly and how to use whats around you... I think its shocking that the adults don't even know whats growing right beside them..! So i think this is just bloody fantastic to see....

Each of the homes in Sinclair Meadows in South Shields has its own allotment, compost heap and shed to encourage gardening.

The homes include switches inside to use harvested rainwater in toilets, and external taps for rainwater.

Dawn Keightley (left), Operations Director of Four Housing Group pictured with Caryn Innes (right), Development and Regeneration Manager of Four Housing Group at the development.

A communal biomass boilers burns wooden pellets to provide heating and hot water for the residents.

And finally... they even have bird boxes, bat boxes, kitchen gardens and a ‘bug hotel’ for the community to look after.

This is definitely a huge step in the right direction... There should be far more organisations being funded to set up more communities like this. I think now more than ever we all need to come together and work as a community. We can't keep working, consuming and dying the way we do. Its not fair on us or Mother Earth either...

www.dailymail.co.uk...

Mods i hope this thread is in the relevant forum - and i have done a search to see if this is already being discussed, but it didnt come up with any results.

Happy reading

peace
fluffx

edit on 30-9-2012 by fluff007 because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 30 2012 @ 12:22 PM
link   
We need more of this kind of thing. Reducing Carbon use really is no big deal. It just takes a little thought and resource management.. Hopefully this is a pilot scheme.. Imagine if all cities were like this. It could be done.
edit on 30-9-2012 by purplemer because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 30 2012 @ 01:37 PM
link   
reply to post by fluff007

Brilliant!!!!

Thank you so much for posting this! I would have completely missed this story if it wasnt for this thread.

I am always trying to find ways to live more sustainably and am a bit of an environmentalist. It can be depressing sometimes, knowing how many people simply don't care. This is a really refreshing story that gives hope.

The residents certainly will need educating though! It’s amazing how many people think that being green means recycling once a week. In fact it’s probably the most common answer people give when you ask them what they do for the environment.

Thank you again
S+F

Peace

posted on Sep, 30 2012 @ 07:06 PM
link   
reply to post by Muckster

Thanks for such a wonderful response..!

Glad i could give you a bit more hope and faith in humanity..!
Well, i was amazed to see this today... if it wasn't for my friend who had sent me the link - kudos to Blanche

Lol..! yeah even my own mum & dad think being green is recycling..... I do try and open their minds but they are so old fashioned and closed minded in their thinking... Although i have managed to get them to watch RT instead of Sky..!

But hopefully this will instigate a new trend in cities around the country and maybe even world wide..
Like purplemer said i hope its a pilot scheme, but am off to bed and will delve into it tomorrow...

Thanks for reading and glad i could bring something so encouraging to lighten your day

posted on Sep, 30 2012 @ 07:21 PM
link   
I live about ten mile away and this is the first I've heard about it.
Nice find S&
I agree its about educating people to be eco friendly, I'm learning more and more each day.

edit on 30-9-2012 by christafinias because: extra

posted on Sep, 30 2012 @ 08:02 PM
link   
I think this is great as well. I also agree that a little education could help everyone and most would do it just because living more in tune with nature and your environment is mutually beneficial. Some of us have been carbon negative for awhile like farmers and homesteaders but I will never be told I HAVE to.

mostly because I don't need to be told what's right

posted on Oct, 1 2012 @ 05:56 AM
link   
reply to post by christafinias

wow really..?!

thats very surprising that you haven't heard about it... has it not been in any local newspapers or anything..?
hm i find that really strange..!

posted on Oct, 1 2012 @ 06:04 AM
link   
reply to post by fluff007

I've never caught it in any local papers or local news, it could have been mention and i've missed it but you'd think this would be something they'd mention quite a bit, to promote and give progress up dates.

posted on Oct, 1 2012 @ 07:32 AM
link   
reply to post by christafinias

Hm how strange.
I'm pretty sure that you would have seen it - I doubt you missed it..!
But you'd think they would be shouting from the rooftops about such a development... and not just when its been finished..! I can only find news about this from the last few days...

Although heres a link to the Four Housing Group itself...

www.4hg.co.uk...

top topics

join