It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Continental plate cracking up under Indian Ocean - Evidence vast Indo-Australian plate is breaking!

page: 3
<< 1  2    4  5  6 >>

join
share:

posted on Sep, 27 2012 @ 05:09 AM
link   

Originally posted by tauristercus
I'm just waiting for the "End of the World 21/12/12" faction to jump in and start making claims that THIS is the trigger event they've been prophesizing !

Note: sarcasm above

In return..I'm just glad we didnt have to wait long for the end of the world sarcastic loud mouths pointing out that we should soon get a person that believes there's something to the dec. 21 2012 Mayan Calendar that predicts an awakening of those that are sick of people not respecting the thoughts and beliefs of others.

posted on Sep, 27 2012 @ 05:13 AM
link   

Originally posted by loam
reply to post by tauristercus

Makes you wonder if something even more significant is really taking place...

These are certainly interesting times.

Yep, just from the way I understand it, the core of the earth is heating up....then you have extra energy being redistributed to the surface causing a amplified reaction in the way of volcanism and earthquakes. As far as the plates go, they always move anyway...they were never truly stable. With the increase of energy heaping up from the core you could expect some plate issues to take place such as the one OP is refering to.

posted on Sep, 27 2012 @ 06:02 AM
link   
Hi - i was just reading about this on the bbc news site

to put it into perspective:

"This is a process that probably started eight to 10 million years ago, so you can imagine how much longer it will take until we get a classic boundary," said Matthias Delescluse from the Ecole Normale Superieure in Paris.

i also found this interesting:

"But it's also known that very large mainshocks - like the Japanese event we had last year, the magnitude 9 event off north-east Japan - can trigger earthquakes around the world. Most of these triggered events are small and they occur instantly as the seismic waves from the large event are passing by.

"But this April 2012 earthquake triggered many larger and potentially damaging earthquakes around the world, and with a time delay of hours or up to several days. That effectively extended the aftershock zone to the entire globe."

posted on Sep, 27 2012 @ 06:03 AM
link   

Sumatra quake was part of crustal plate breakup: Study shows huge jolt measured 8.7, ripped at least 4 faults

Read more at: phys.org...

Seismologists have known for years that the Indo-Australian plate of Earth's crust is slowly breaking apart, but they saw it in action last April when at least four faults broke in a magnitude-8.7 earthquake that may be the largest of its type ever recorded. The great Indian Ocean quake of April 11, 2012 previously was reported as 8.6 magnitude, and the new estimate means the quake was 40 percent larger than had been believed, scientists from the University of Utah and University of California, Santa Cruz, report in the Sept. 27 issue of the journal Nature.

phys.org...

while the plate may be cracking,
i dont think it happens in a short time span

The new study concludes that the magnitude-8.7 quake and an 8.2 quake two hours later were part of the breakup of the Indian and Australian subplates along a yet-unclear boundary beneath the Indian Ocean west of Sumatra and southeast of India – a process that started roughly 50 million years ago and that will continue for millions more.

xploder
edit on 27-9-2012 by XPLodER because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 27 2012 @ 06:11 AM
link   

Originally posted by loam

Makes you wonder if something even more significant is really taking place...

These are certainly interesting times.

the other significant thing is most likely the convection currents in the Earth's mantle is causing this plate breakup...

recall that many formally dormant volcanos are suddenly active again, also think about the new ocean that's forming along the North African red-sea-coast, as the land rift splits apart in the area around Ethiopia and Eritera

there are thousands of new thermal vents and underwater 'smokers' all over the oceans of the planet

the Earth's core and mantle is in a time of disturbance which then affects the surface,
but mainstream science is being mum on the topic
edit on 27-9-2012 by St Udio because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 27 2012 @ 06:18 AM
link   

edit on 27-9-2012 by something wicked because: DoubleDutch beat me to it

posted on Sep, 27 2012 @ 07:25 AM
link   

Originally posted by tracehd1

I'm just waiting for the "End of the World 21/12/12" faction to jump in and start making claims that THIS is the trigger event they've been prophesizing !

Note: sarcasm above

In return..I'm just glad we didnt have to wait long for the end of the world sarcastic loud mouths pointing out that we should soon get a person that believes there's something to the dec. 21 2012 Mayan Calendar that predicts an awakening of those that are sick of people not respecting the thoughts and beliefs of others.

So glad that I didn't disappoint you then.
I'll have to leave a reminder note to myself to say a big hi to you come 22 Dec.

posted on Sep, 27 2012 @ 08:44 AM
link   
The expanding earth theory could explain the size, spread and shape of the continents, but where does all the water come from if it's hot magma under the plates?

Surely as the earth has expanded mass would be added, but from the inside
this would only be possible if the planet was alive and growing, which now ties it to living earth theory.

Is mass actually added from the inside, or could a change in density of atoms cause expansion? Im still confused as to how all earths water fits into these theories.

Wifi

posted on Sep, 27 2012 @ 08:49 AM
link   
I'm no geologist, but does this pose a threat to us? I mean, I'm from India..

posted on Sep, 27 2012 @ 09:57 AM
link   
Continental plate cracking up, record glacial melting, sinkholes on every other block, arguably more volcanic and earthquake activity....yep nothing to see here, just a string of coincidences on just another year!

posted on Sep, 27 2012 @ 10:02 AM
link   

So glad that I didn't disappoint you then.
I'll have to leave a reminder note to myself to say a big hi to you come 22 Dec.

You don't understand what you mock.

Interesting thread though, thank you.

posted on Sep, 27 2012 @ 10:03 AM
link   
I too think something big is happening with the earthquakes,strange weather, and the sounds. It seems that the earth could be growing splitting the plates, thus making the sounds that are being heard all over the world. the weather can be from the increased solar activity, and heat from the interior all coming together, and earthquakes because of the plate breaking up.... hmmmm

posted on Sep, 27 2012 @ 10:08 AM
link   
Anyone offer up why the sounds in the mid-west?
edit on 27-9-2012 by tracehd1 because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 27 2012 @ 10:58 AM
link   
reply to post by michaelstrieff

your actually getting warmer..LOL your almost spot on

posted on Sep, 27 2012 @ 11:00 AM
link   
Hello?
There are no islands in nature.
Everything is both cause and effect at the same time....
This duality keeps getting forgotten by us as we have such a short time span of consciouness and we re gone. pfft!
Science never goes the distance it seems , relating the full circle of changes is a challenge and a half, but with time and accumulated data we may yet get a clearer picture.
Earth movements,(increased quaks and volcanos etc)the core temperature of earth, the particulate content of the stratosphere,the "comming pole shift" , the electrical activity within earths nickel /iron core, and much more data will have yet to be co related into a more coherant picture........add to this that the other planets seem also to be warming,
and we apear to be experiencing an uptick in meteoric and cometary activity....(sun diving comet, fire balls etc)
The evidence is mounting that greater causes are creating these "EFFECTS" on earth and in the solar system.
NIBIRU?
I hardly think so....but hey other causes may be the initiators of these earthly manefestations........
In looking down into the bowels of the earth. it is strange that we must also look up as far as we can possibly see...........
peace......s
edit on 27-9-2012 by stirling because: dyslexia

posted on Sep, 27 2012 @ 11:24 AM
link   

well..

the earth is growing..

posted on Sep, 27 2012 @ 11:37 AM
link   
This has me wondering-maybe an event similar to this occured in the distant past and resulted in the "great flood"we read about in so many ancient cultures.
It would take something that massive to say,fill the medditerranean,which did happen approx 8-10 thousand years back.

The mess we seem to be making of our world almost makes me think we deserve a great flood.
I bet the snapping of an entire tectonic plate deep under the ocean could result in such a flood.

It would be ironic if it happened on dec 21st would it not?

Maybe time to build an ark...

posted on Sep, 27 2012 @ 12:05 PM
link   

This is the part of geologic activity that I think many people and academics have ignored. The dynamism of plate tectonics, and the effects.

The possibility, and inevitably, the reality of plate motion and overall qualities changing, must certainly be accompanied by major effects.

A plate splitting in two, a transverse fault line being forced to turn into a subduction zone, these are the things that could wreak serious havoc I would imagine.
edit on 27-9-2012 by Soloro because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 27 2012 @ 01:43 PM
link   

Would you happen to have a map of the region the quakes happened in the Indian Ocean?

posted on Sep, 27 2012 @ 01:47 PM
link   
Thanks for posting this star and flag

If the earthquakes have increased since the event then it can't be good. It's rather concerning the Himilayas are impeding the plate moving. Will this push them upwards and cause catastrophic events?

Will they rename one if the plates now?

top topics

<< 1  2    4  5  6 >>

join