It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Recommendations Please :)

page: 2
<< 1   >>

join
share:

posted on Sep, 28 2012 @ 02:24 PM
link   
Dark City is pretty good.

Twelve Monkeys

edit on 28-9-2012 by TheComte because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 28 2012 @ 03:29 PM
link   

Originally posted by Xcalibur254
As long as you don't mind foreign films I think Stalker could be right up your alley. In fact I think you'd like a lot of Tarkovsky's work. You might also like Primer. I guarantee you haven't seen another sci-fi movie like it.

I'd like to second both of those recommendations. Both are incredible.

Stalker can be a difficult movie. It's very long and very slow, but if you let yourself get into the movie's rhythm it'll really grab you. It becomes sort of hypnotic. The end is tremendous.

Primer is probably the greatest time travel movie ever.

posted on Sep, 28 2012 @ 05:48 PM
link   
I'd recommend you watch 'Angels and Deamons' or' The Prestige' if you're interested in a mystery movie. Both are equally as awesome.

posted on Sep, 28 2012 @ 05:54 PM
link   
reply to post by SaulGoodman

I've said it on these boards before but I'll say it again. I think Stalker is at the apex of cinematography. Every shot is just so haunting and beautiful. Tarkovsky really should be remembered as a director who is on the same level as Kubrick and Kurosawa.

posted on Sep, 28 2012 @ 06:04 PM
link   
reply to post by Sinny

Just ideas - movies I've seen and really liked. From the Internet Movie Data Base Top 250...link below...

Shawshank Redemption

Pulp Fiction

Lord of the Rings 1 2 & 3

Inception

The usual suspects

Gladiator

The Green Mile

Braveheart

Sin City

The Sixth Sense

Kill Bill 1 & 2

Good Will Hunting

V for Vendetta

The Bourne Trilogy

www.imdb.com...

posted on Sep, 28 2012 @ 07:02 PM
link   
Event Horizon - Sci-fi horror, pretty good
Alien
Aliens - Two good movies, wouldn't bother with Alien 3 or Alien resurrection

City of God

The girl with the dragon tattoo - The original Swedish ones. That would pass a night for you

Just a few suggestions...

posted on Sep, 28 2012 @ 07:34 PM
link   
While it doesn't really fit in with the list you provided I'm also going to mention Let the Right One In. It is one of the greatest vampire movies ever made but it is also much more than that. I think Bloody Disgusting said it best when they rated it as the Best Horror Film of the Decade:

It’s rare enough for a horror film to be good; even rarer are those that function as genuine works of art. Let the Right One In is one of those films – an austerely beautiful creation that reveals itself slowly, like the best works of art do. The simplicity of the story allows Swedish director Tomas Alfredson to focus on these two pre-teen characters with a penetrating insight that not only makes it a great vampire film but a great coming-of-age film as well. At its core, the film is, simply, a human story, a pensive meditation on the transcendent possibilities of human connection. Most of all, it’s a film that sticks with you, and whose stature will continue to grow in the decades to come.

posted on Sep, 28 2012 @ 09:01 PM
link   

Originally posted by Xcalibur254
reply to post by SaulGoodman

I've said it on these boards before but I'll say it again. I think Stalker is at the apex of cinematography. Every shot is just so haunting and beautiful. Tarkovsky really should be remembered as a director who is on the same level as Kubrick and Kurosawa.

I agree with you about "Stalker." If you haven't seen "Picnic at Hanging Rock" I suggest you do so as soon as possible. It's a lot like Stalker in how everything seems is so arranged so beautifully, but it makes you uncomfortable at the same time. It's also another very hypnotic movie and a movie that unnerved and unsettled me like few others, but I have no idea why.

new topics

top topics

<< 1   >>

join