It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Recommendations Please :)

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Sep, 26 2012 @ 07:38 PM
link   
Like I recommend ditching the Twilight Logo for this sub-forum! aha.

Anyway, I'm off work all week, and plan on wasting as many late nights as possible.

I just finished watching the most recent installment of Resident Evil, Global (something or another)..

They're loosing the story line almost completely, but it was action packed as to be expected, as are another 2 sequels at least

So trying to think of another movie to watch, but I've hit a dead end.. Help?

Erm, I can name some of my favorites and give you an idea of the sort I like:

Underworld
K-Pax
Pans Labrinth
Girl With The Dragon Tattoo
Cruel Intentions
Idiocracy
The Sphere
Contact
Salt

And lots more, I just canny think..

I'm looking for a decent thriller, Sci-Fi, Mystery... but something rather individual..

Oh, I watched Moon for the first time last week.. I was pleasantly surprised..

Any suggestions?

edit on 26-9-2012 by Sinny because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 26 2012 @ 07:43 PM
link   
Sunshine :

posted on Sep, 26 2012 @ 07:44 PM
link   
reply to post by Sinny

Frailty with Bill Paxton.

posted on Sep, 26 2012 @ 07:45 PM
link   
reply to post by Sinny

Have you seen The Crazies?? That one freaked me out. Same with The Descent.

posted on Sep, 26 2012 @ 07:49 PM
link   
"Children of Men"

real good dystopia.

posted on Sep, 26 2012 @ 07:55 PM
link   
Ive seen The Crazies, The Decent (Garr!! aha) and Children Of Men, Good suggestions though, keep em cummin!

Will checkout Sunshine now

posted on Sep, 26 2012 @ 07:59 PM
link   
reply to post by Sinny

The Orphanage, Silent Hill (waiting to see the second one)

posted on Sep, 26 2012 @ 08:00 PM
link   
reply to post by Sinny

Dear Sinny,

How bout:

Videodrome - David Cronenberg
Freaks - the old black and white about midgets and circus freaks. It has a powerful message.
Casablanca - Timeless
The Godfather Trilogy - Coppola and he makes a good wine.
Lawrence of Arabia -
Gone in 60 seconds - the original
Family Plot - Hitchcock
The Prisoner (the series)

Enjoy your time off.

posted on Sep, 26 2012 @ 08:03 PM
link   
reply to post by Sinny

I just watched The Tall Man yesterday. It's a thriller with a twisted ending.

The Cabin In The Woods had a great twisted plot.

Watching The Devil's Rejects again right now. That Otis cracks me up every time!

posted on Sep, 26 2012 @ 08:14 PM
link   
The Collector.

posted on Sep, 26 2012 @ 08:19 PM
link   
One of my go to recommendations is "The Fall." It is hands down the most beautiful looking film I have ever seen. It's about a silent film stunt man who gets paralyzed in an accident. In the hospital he befriends a young Romanian girl and tells her a story in order to convince her to get him something from the hospital supply room. The movie is half in the hospital and half in the story. Both parts are compelling, though the story is easily the best. It involves a bandit, an Indian, a former slave, an Italian explosives expert and Charles Darwin trying to kill an evil governor who has wronged them all. The movie was filmed in something like 22 different countries and some of the locations you won't believe are real places. Another great thing is there's very few digital effects, everything is either on location or practical. The movie is on Netflix Instant.

Here's just the opening titles, even they are masterfully done. And if you don't like black-and-white, don't worry the rest of the film isn't like that:

"Repo Man" from 1984 is one of my favorites. Young man becomes a repo man at the same time everyone's trying to track down a Chevy Malibu with alien bodies in the trunk.

Cabin in the Woods- I LOVE this movie. One of the best horror movies I've seen. Don't read anything about it. Don't read any descriptions even off the box or whatever. Go into it blank. It's brilliant and hilarious. Just don't expect an average horror movie.

The Prestige- Hugh Jackman and Christian Bale are rival magicians.

In Bruges- Unique black comedy. Colin Farrel is a hitman laying low in a quaint town in Belgium

Mulholland Dr- Directed by David Lynch. Sexy, scary, confusing, haunting, mysterious. A real mind-screw of a movie. A woman with amnesia stumbles into another woman's life and they try to figure out who she is. That doesn't do the movie justice, but it's the jist. Has the scariest scene I've ever watched.

posted on Sep, 26 2012 @ 08:23 PM
link   
reply to post by SaulGoodman

Muholland Drive is an excellent choice.. I'll have to watch Repo Man, and that's the second time Cabin in the woods as been mentioned, so I'll have to give that a go too! Although I do try my best to avoid most horrors these days, its like they're just slapped together for a quick buck...

Thanks guys

posted on Sep, 26 2012 @ 08:29 PM
link   
reply to post by Sinny

Cabin in the Woods is so different from usual horror movies that if you don't want the usual I'm almost positive you'll dig it. It's a movie where a lot of the people who don't like it are the ones who were just looking for a run-of-the-mill, slapped together, sub-mediocre horror movie.

posted on Sep, 26 2012 @ 08:36 PM
link   
reply to post by Sinny

There Is Something About Mary is freaking hilarious. Meet The Fockers and Little Fokers are funny too. Fire In The Sky is a great alien movie, as is Alien and Aliens. Battlefield Los Angeles is good too.

posted on Sep, 27 2012 @ 03:29 PM
link   
reply to post by Sinny

1. Natural City - Sci-fi / Korean Made very good
2. Quiet Earth - Sci-fi New Zealand film Classic
3. Brazil - Sci-fi It's an experience...
4. Space Truckers - Sci-fi a little campy but very funny
5. Oldboy - not Sci-fi yet extremely good also korean
6. le pacte des loups(Brotherhood of the wolf) - Also not Sci-fi, but it has werewolves.
7. Code 46 - Sci-fi Kinda sad.
These are all very good movies in my opinion. If you get a chance to check some out do so.

posted on Sep, 27 2012 @ 03:33 PM
link   
1) Apocalypse Now
2) A Clockwork Orange
3) Brazil
4) 12 Monkeys
5) Legends of the Fall
6) Full Metal Jacket
7) The Last Temptation of Christ
8) Blade Runner
9) Boondock Saints
10) Anything by Kevin Smith except for Red State.
11) Memento
12) The Minus Man
13) The Ninth Gate

And I'll stop at 13 cuz it's lucky.

~Heff

posted on Sep, 27 2012 @ 09:28 PM
link   
As long as you don't mind foreign films I think Stalker could be right up your alley. In fact I think you'd like a lot of Tarkovsky's work. You might also like Primer. I guarantee you haven't seen another sci-fi movie like it.

posted on Sep, 27 2012 @ 10:44 PM
link   
I recently re-watched the Triangle bit of sci-fi ish / thriller (time travel is sorta involved)

Another by the same director is Severance Horror/comedy.

I found both to be very good, and inline with what you said your taste were, Highly recommend both.

There is a third by the same director that I have yet to see, need to look it up to remember what it was.

Triangle IMDB

Originally posted by SaulGoodman
reply to post by Sinny

Cabin in the Woods is so different from usual horror movies that if you don't want the usual I'm almost positive you'll dig it. It's a movie where a lot of the people who don't like it are the ones who were just looking for a run-of-the-mill, slapped together, sub-mediocre horror movie.

I watched Cabin in the woods, I didn't even know it was one of Whedons, and was pleasantly surprised how much I liked it.

Good movie.
edit on 27-9-2012 by benrl because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 27 2012 @ 11:19 PM
link   
I've been recommending this to everyone since I saw it a couple of weeks ago. It looks kind of scary but it has a fairy tale vibe that makes the violence seem less real. The ending is big fun.

I thought this one was fun also.
Really unusual special effects.

And perhaps one the most twisted, taboo bashing films ever;
"Visitor Q"
Subtitles, but this one will definitely challenge you.
Not for the squeamish. Probably should not post a trailer here.
edit on 27-9-2012 by tanda7 because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 27 2012 @ 11:35 PM
link   
I dont watch much t.v or movies so I depend mostly on word of mouth or my favorite ... trailers. You can go to blockbuster.com and watch trailers to almost all movies. Sometimes I am looking for something to watch and end up watching dozens of trailers.

I have been getting into foreign films lately, I have also found a few secret treasures like 11/11/11, Tribulation 99, also Lunapolis.

Here are the trailers....

Tribulation 99 - trailer

11.11.11 - Official Trailer

Lunopolis - Trailer

Peace, NRE.

new topics

top topics

<<   2 >>

join