It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

A search engine that doesnt record or store your information.

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Sep, 26 2012 @ 02:39 AM
link   
Just wanted to share this search engine with my fellow ATS-ers.

Many of you may already be familiar with it but for those who are not, here it is:

www.startpage.com...

According to their Q&A:

Whenever you search with Startpage, your SEARCH is not recorded, your IP ADDRESS is not recorded, your IDENTITY is not recorded, no TRACKING COOKIES are placed on your browser, and our SSL ENCRYPTION ensures that your ISP or hackers can't eavesdrop. You are never seen by any of the search engines we query, including Google, even though you receive authentic Google results through Startpage.

I find that its pretty good but will not always yield as many results as say yahoo (I never use google).

ATS-ers are in the know. We value our privacy even if we have nothing to hide.

posted on Sep, 26 2012 @ 02:46 AM
link   
reply to post by gladtobehere

Thanks for that, here's another DuckDuckGo

posted on Sep, 26 2012 @ 02:53 AM
link   
But when you click the link you search on, does it go back to storing information

posted on Sep, 26 2012 @ 02:59 AM
link   
I be been using their Firefox search add on for a while - ixquick.

posted on Sep, 26 2012 @ 03:30 AM
link   
I found out about this search engine some days ago because I saw it in another thread, a member linked it.

posted on Sep, 26 2012 @ 07:23 AM
link   
Well, they say they don't track. The CIA will use dirty tricks every day to overthrow governments. It's not like we could trust them to not make what looks like the perfect search engine for under-grounders, criminals, terrorists etc to flock to. Even if Startpage is what they claim, there is no way for them to skirt the law. So if they are issued a warrant to start tracking someone or everyone then they will be legally compelled to do so.

posted on Sep, 26 2012 @ 07:49 AM
link   

Originally posted by dainoyfb
Well, they say they don't track. The CIA will use dirty tricks every day to overthrow governments. It's not like we could trust them to not make what looks like the perfect search engine for under-grounders, criminals, terrorists etc to flock to. Even if Startpage is what they claim, there is no way for them to skirt the law. So if they are issued a warrant to start tracking someone or everyone then they will be legally compelled to do so.

If they delete logs as soon as possible, then there is nothing to give to the authorities.
Here's they privacy page
Startpage Privacy Page

Personally, I use AIOSearch for all-in-one search capabilities...

posted on Sep, 26 2012 @ 08:03 AM
link   

Originally posted by glen200376
I be been using their Firefox search add on for a while - ixquick.
I don't have the add-on but I've been using IXquick for a long time, it's basically the original.

Startpage is identical to IXquick except for the URL, and it is an easier to remember, more catchy name than IXquick so I can see why they changed the name, but IXquick still works and I haven't bothered to change my links since startpage came out, I see no reason to.

I tried duckduckgo too, but never had as much luck with that, because the search results didn't seem very good.

posted on Sep, 26 2012 @ 08:13 AM
link   
being an old computer tech, actual machine code..now retired... the adage we used still applies.."what can be written, can be read"...don't let anyone lull you into a sense of security. the only hindrance is "time", there will ALWAYS be a crack

posted on Sep, 26 2012 @ 08:18 AM
link   
ixquick.com...

startpage.com...

We lost "Scoogle" so I had to replace it with the above two, the second of which you posted.

posted on Sep, 26 2012 @ 08:24 AM
link   
I did a comparison together with Google search.
Startpage.com seems to find nearly the same
findings as google did.

Aah!!!..., i just saw why! "Enhanced by Google" (Upper Right)

edit on 26/9/12 by D0MiNAT0R 1OOO because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 26 2012 @ 06:18 PM
link   
reply to post by D0MiNAT0R 1OOO

That is because it is a Google search - on their proxy servers. The minute you connect to a link however you are out of their proxy system.

posted on Sep, 27 2012 @ 11:06 AM
link   

Originally posted by PuterMan
reply to post by D0MiNAT0R 1OOO

That is because it is a Google search - on their proxy servers. The minute you connect to a link however you are out of their proxy system.

Not necessarily...

If you go to settings page, you have these 3 options:

1: Secure socket layer (SSL) / HTTPS Enable Always establish a secure connection between browser and Startpage's servers. Prevents ISP's from snooping. Results in a slightly longer processing time.

2: Anonymous images/video search Anonymous images/video search: Leave no trace of the image/video search thumbnail images you browse, by proxying through Startpage. Slightly slower but more private.

3: Use POST vs GET POST For additional privacy - keeps your search terms out of the logs of webmasters of sites that you reach from our results.

These can help out a bit with browsing while being proxied through startpage.... Combining with TOR and it's super-slow but better secured

posted on Sep, 29 2012 @ 03:39 PM
link   
reply to post by GakunGak

None of those settings change the fact that StartPage is using a Google search however. I do have all those on by the way as they are the defaults.

top topics

join