It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

[Hypothetical] Does anything we do really matter?

page: 1
<<   2  3 >>

join
share:

posted on Sep, 23 2012 @ 06:55 PM
link   
Aside from the almost-obvious undertone of this question which could appear to be based upon a severely depressed mood, I've actually been thinking about this one for a while, and I thought I would pose it to the ATS Community.

Does anything we do really matter? Certainly if we look at this from the point of view of Theoretical Physics or Quantum Mechanics, in which "anything that can occur does occur", the answer is a resounding yes - Anything and everything we do, think, say, etc. does indeed matter; at least as far as the Multiverse/Universe is concerned.

There may be some reality where such a simple decision as turning right rather than left would either cause a "cascade of events" to occur [or] prevent them entirely.

I suppose the answer should be "I'm here because I need to be here".

Personally, I think the Multiverse/Universe would get along just fine without me. *shrug*

Thoughts?

posted on Sep, 23 2012 @ 07:00 PM
link   
reply to post by Kualros

The Universe would get along just fine without me.....specks of dust.....

posted on Sep, 23 2012 @ 07:04 PM
link   
reply to post by Kualros

It all depends if you're a solipsist, realist, or what, and how you individually subjectively view the universe around you.

For some, nothing matters. For others, everything matters and will define whether you're a cockroach or a human, or what, later down the line somewhere.

posted on Sep, 23 2012 @ 07:09 PM
link   
reply to post by Kualros

All that matters is that we exist.

posted on Sep, 23 2012 @ 07:11 PM
link   
Cause and effect. Everything you do has an effect.

A more philosophical point of view is, you make your own destiny and what matters to you.

Everything you read in this thread take with a grain of salt, because i believe ultimately it is up to you to finding purpose, meaning and happiness.

posted on Sep, 23 2012 @ 07:16 PM
link   
reply to post by Kualros

Does anything we do really matter? Well, yes and no.
You have to do something that matters in order for it to matter.
You have to accomplish something in life that benefits others. Then it will matter, but if you don't then no it doesn't matter.

The choice is yours. You make it matter...or you don't.

posted on Sep, 23 2012 @ 07:18 PM
link   
to the universe? no.

to myself? yes.

posted on Sep, 23 2012 @ 07:19 PM
link   

Originally posted by Destinyone
reply to post by Kualros

The Universe would get along just fine without me.....specks of dust.....

I am sure that some part of the Universe would miss you. The Universe you know would not exist without you. The Universe we share here would not exist without you. The Universe I know would not exist without you.

So if it weren't for you, our Universe wouldn't exist, so it does matter.
edit on 23-9-2012 by DermotMcDerp because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 23 2012 @ 07:21 PM
link   

Originally posted by Kualros

Aside from the almost-obvious undertone of this question which could appear to be based upon a severely depressed mood, I've actually been thinking about this one for a while

Nope. Nothing matters. Not even slightly.

Personally, I've felt this way for a few years now, which would have began right around the same time I finally reached the point that I stopped caring about anything/everything. I'm not saying that as a good thing. I'm just stating it as it is.

[color=F0D1A8]We are all playing the Game Of Life, but it doesn't matter how you choose to play it, because it is a game that cannot be won.

You can follow all of the rules, or you can break them.
You can work your ass off your entire life, or you can be a lazy bum.
You can love everyone, or you can hate them.
etc... etc....

[color=E07446]Regardless, the end result for everyone is exactly the same:
[color=FF7E47]You will die!

edit on 9/23/12 by BrokenCircles because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 23 2012 @ 07:25 PM
link   
Since I'm alive in the world, I'll interpret my existence as consequential instead of meaningless.

For now.

Potentially, humanity could have a drastic impact on the entire universe. Our science is getting more and more powerful. What's to say an initial Warp travel test run doesn't destabilize the entire universe? Or antimatter production leads to mass destruction?

And each of us feeds into and effects the whole of humanity, so we play a role in this eventual potential destruction. If we are to one day destroy the universe, than anyone who didn't take action to oppose that cause is complicit.

On the other hand, if humanity were to develop better understanding of the multiverse and create abilities to access, harness, or alter alternative universes, we may one day create an entirely new universe.

Possibilities...
edit on 9/23/2012 by PatrickGarrow17 because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 23 2012 @ 07:27 PM
link   
Yes and No in my opinion, I find that it is the little things that matter not the new car or house......
I realize this is kind of cryptic but for you that know you will know.
So in a nut shell I believe what makes you happy matters so yes, it can make a difference. Or in your words Matter to somebody.

Regards, Iwinder
edit on 23-9-2012 by Iwinder because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 23 2012 @ 07:31 PM
link   
No, nothing we do matters in the grand scheme of things.

But, with that being said. All you can do is effect you personal situation, in that sense what you do does matter in regard to your quality of life and level of comfort/happiness.

So, do what you will, and see what happens.

posted on Sep, 23 2012 @ 07:43 PM
link   
reply to post by BrokenCircles

Obviously something matters to you.

posted on Sep, 23 2012 @ 07:49 PM
link   

Originally posted by DermotMcDerp

Obviously??
What is it?

edit on 9/23/12 by BrokenCircles because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 23 2012 @ 07:57 PM
link   

You exist.

Without you this reality wouldn't exist, so you matter to this reality.

Also, if nothing matters, why post a pic? Why even make the pic.
edit on 23-9-2012 by DermotMcDerp because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 23 2012 @ 08:02 PM
link   

Originally posted by BrokenCircles

Obviously??
What is it?

Why are you posting here if it doesn't matter?
edit on 23-9-2012 by _Phoenix_ because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 23 2012 @ 08:18 PM
link   
We are what we want ultimately.

Our memories, to this moment, all accumulate to create a unique, higher - thinking, complex being. You match none other in this world unless you happen to be an identical twin.

Even in death, the dead affect the living. Look at the worlds belief systems and our philosophers texts. Or archeologists and scientist's Lucy - who dates humankind way back. We all factor into the equation.

Peace,
Cirque

posted on Sep, 23 2012 @ 08:29 PM
link   
i look at the stars and realize my existence is meaningless, it is more i am less

posted on Sep, 23 2012 @ 08:49 PM
link   

Originally posted by Kualros

I suppose the answer should be "I'm here because I need to be here".

Personally, I think the Multiverse/Universe would get along just fine without me. *shrug*

Thoughts?

You're right. The universe wouldn't miss you in the least. Nor me or anyone else. Do you have it in your head that if mankind suddenly went extinct that the universe would just close up shop? No way.

And the answer should NOT be that you need to be here. You don't need to be here. You exist because a bunch of random events brought your parents together. But, THIS is where you find out just how special you are!

If your grandparents never met, you wouldn't have been born. Okay, so your grandparents met and had kids. But if your mother's parents moved away from where your mother met your father, you wouldn't have been born. If a job took your father away from where he met your mother, you wouldn't have been born. If your father died in a car crash, a war, caught a disease, broke a law and went to prison for life, you wouldn't have been born.

If your mother didn't have sex in the month that your egg was available, you wouldn't have been born. If your mother had had an affair when your egg was available, the sperm connecting with that egg would have given life to a totally different person and you wouldn't have been born.

The odds would have to be something like 90,000,000,000 to one against you being born.

And THAT'S how special and unique you are!

Don't throw it away by wasting your time wondering why you exist. You just do, that's all. No purpose, no reason, no destiny, we're born, we live, we die. Enjoy the ride as best you can.

posted on Sep, 23 2012 @ 09:00 PM
link   

C'mon now. Make up my mind.
Which is it:
Does it matter to me↑?
or
Do I matter to it↓?

You exist.

Without you this reality wouldn't exist, so you matter to this reality.

Also, if nothing matters, why post a pic? Why even make the pic.
I didn't 'make that pic'. It's been saved on my computer for quite awhile now.

However, even if I had made it, it still wouldn't *snippin* matter.

top topics

<<   2  3 >>

join