It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

(Solved) What is this structure on Google Maps?

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Sep, 23 2012 @ 02:47 AM
link   
A friend of mine noticed this place while using Google Maps and showed me. I have no idea what it is. It looks like a large fence surrounding a bunker. As you move farther out there's a circular arrangement of what look to be poles sticking out of the ground. This very close to the Germany/Denmark border, but is inside Germany. Anyone have any idea?

Unrelated Update: My brother just noticed this also. Have you ever seen anything like this before? (I just looked into this and it seems other planes have the same effect)

Unrelated Update Location

Update 2: Thanks to InitiumArietis's information the structure's identity is now known. It is called a Wullenweber. See a few posts below for much more information.
edit on 23-9-2012 by SeriousIndividual because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 23 2012 @ 03:05 AM
link   
reply to post by SeriousIndividual

It has the appearance of a transmitter of some type.... HAARP??

The convex/conical shape in the centre lends itself moreso to transmitting rather than receiving.

posted on Sep, 23 2012 @ 03:11 AM
link   
Look like a circle of antana

Maybe a HARP system

posted on Sep, 23 2012 @ 03:18 AM
link   
Just done a quick bit of research and it looks as if it could be an array known as HAARP'S Older Brother or, as it was nicknamed The Elephant Cage. Would do some more research, but gotta get back to work. Hope this leads you in the right direction.

Have a good day people

IA
edit on 21/09/11 by InitiumArietis because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 23 2012 @ 03:25 AM
link   
reply to post by InitiumArietis

I used the name you gave and discovered what it almost without a doubt is.

The Wullenweber

The Wullenweber (the original name introduced by Dr. Hans Rindfleisch was Wullenwever) is a type of Circularly Disposed Antenna Array (CDAA) sometimes referred to as a Circularly Disposed Dipole Array (CDDA). It is a large circular antenna array used for radio direction finding. It was used by the military to triangulate radio signals for radio navigation, intelligence gathering and search and rescue. Because its huge circular reflecting screen looks like a circular fence, the antenna has been colloquially referred to as the elephant cage. The term wullenwever was the World War II German cover term used to identify their secret CDAA research and development program; its name is unrelated to any person involved in the program.

I've never heard of this before, but I'll be looking into it to learn more. Thanks for your information.

posted on Sep, 23 2012 @ 03:29 AM
link   

This AN/FLR-9

The AN/FLR-9 is a type of very large circular "Wullenweber" antenna array, built at many locations during the cold war for HF/DF direction finding of high priority targets. The worldwide network, known collectively as "Iron Horse", could locate HF communications almost anywhere on the planet. Due to their large size and shape, these units were often nicknamed "Elephant Cages" or "Turkey Farms".

posted on Sep, 23 2012 @ 03:31 AM
link   

What a way to start a Sunday morning, with a bit of successful detective work
, Will read up on it in more detail later. Cheers

posted on Sep, 23 2012 @ 03:35 AM
link   
i clicked that link and looks like im banned from GLP

edit on 23-9-2012 by haven123 because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 23 2012 @ 03:35 AM
link   
The planes are strange. I've never seen that before.

posted on Sep, 23 2012 @ 03:40 AM
link   

What's strange though is that on the Wikipedia page it claims these structures (FLR-9s) were constructed in the following places so it must not be that exact type:

Gablingen Kaserne, Augsburg, Germany
Chicksands, England
Clark AB, Philippines
Joint Base Elmendorf-Richardson, Alaska (formerly designated as Elmendorf AFB)
Karamursel, Turkey
7th Radio Research Field Station/Ramasun Station, Udon Thani Province, Thailand
Misawa AB, Japan
San Vito dei Normanni Air Station, Italy

Gablingen Kaserne, Augsburg, Germany is much farther to the South.

See the post above with a link to AN/FLR-9s.

posted on Sep, 23 2012 @ 03:45 AM
link   
Two remain in use, one in Japan and one at Joint Base Elmendorf-Richardson in Alaska

posted on Sep, 23 2012 @ 03:46 AM
link   
reply to post by haven123

OH $#!& DON'T BAN ME HERE FOR POSTING A LINK TO THE RIVAL WEBSITE!

That's what those screwballs will do with you on that site... You don't even have to go as far as posting a link. Just a mention of the name of this website will get you banned.

I fixed the link so it brings you straight to the image.

posted on Sep, 23 2012 @ 03:51 AM
link   
glad im banned its full or retards on there anyhow

posted on Sep, 23 2012 @ 04:03 AM
link   

Originally posted by haven123
glad im banned its full or retards on there anyhow

I am not a r..

I see what you tried to do there... You sneaky soul!

You're not banned there. Most likely wotsisface has had a tanty and banned a subnet again.

lol

Can I get a star for saying "HAARP" ? thanks. Doing it rite?

posted on Sep, 23 2012 @ 04:12 AM
link   
This appears to be a Wullenweber Antenna array. Apparently they used to call them Elephant Cages or Turkey farms. They're used for radio direction finding for the purpose of radio navigation.

Wullenweber

Oops looks like I was way to slow on this one.
edit on 23-9-2012 by Josephus because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 23 2012 @ 04:36 AM
link   

Today, the Strategic Reconnaissance Command of the German Armed Forces operates a wullenweber array in Bramstedtlund with a diameter of 410m as one of its three stationary Sigint battalions.

Found this at the bottom of an article on Wikipedia.

posted on Sep, 23 2012 @ 05:26 AM
link   

and to you Violet, with the planes I just found this information!!

www.petapixel.com...

Would add more to it, but I gotta get my butt back to work, but apparently it could be something to do with RGB and lens filters

Peace and Love
IA

posted on May, 27 2013 @ 10:30 AM
link   
I used to be an analyst at a wullenweber site. The military nomenclature for this antenna array is AN/FLR-9. The structure in the google maps image referenced above is absolutely NOT a FLR-9. You guys would never make it as imagery analysts. It's far too small to be a FLR-9 (pronounced - flare 9). It lacks any visible resemblance to an actual flare 9 other than it is circular. The flare 9 had three concentric rings of antenna curtains each of which was tuned to a different range within the HF radio spectrum. Notice the lack of concentric rings. The structure appears to be an old gas storage tank. Here is a link to what one of these structures looks likel

www.esreality.com...

These old gas storage tanks varied is size and somewhat is design. I remember seeing one if Germany when I lived there and wondered at the time what it was. I little research yielded the results. If you want to see an actual flare 9 look here:

maps.google.com...,10.86271&num=1&t=h&z=16

Think critically, use analysis, don't assume. A good way to attack the question of what the structure is, assuming one thought it was a flare 9 would have been to find images of a real flare 9, aerial views similar to the referenced image and then compared them. Even a superficial analysis would have revealed that the structures are quite dissimilar.

n4ubh

PS If any one wants to contact me... n4ubh at amsat dot org

I'll answer general non-classified questions.

posted on May, 28 2013 @ 09:56 AM
link   
Lets see if this works:

Looks like the site truncates the URLs. I'll try again. If the URL below doesn't display/work properly then try the site name included below:

maps.google.com...,10.863333&spn=0.009749,0.022724&sll=35.170517,-79.860994&sspn=6.149689,11.634521& t=h&hnear=Gablingen-Siedlung,+Germany&z=16

If not look up this on google maps: Gablingen-Siedlung

This is the site of an actual flare-9.

n4ubh

posted on Jun, 1 2013 @ 01:47 PM
link   
reply to post by n4ubh

I don't know about it being an old gas storage tank due to its bizarre location and features such as the outer circle of poles sticking out of the ground, no containment walls, etc, but take a look at this on Bing Maps.

binged.it...
Why is that area blurred out???

Here is the location you spoke of on Bing Maps as well.
binged.it...

new topics

top topics

<<   2 >>

join