It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

In Quebec It's Official: Mass Movement Leads to Victory for Students

page: 1
<<   2  3  4 >>

join
share:
+7 more 
posted on Sep, 22 2012 @ 04:34 PM
link   

In Quebec It's Official: Mass Movement Leads to Victory for Students

www.commondreams.org..." target="_blank" class="postlink">https:

This is why radical movements are mercilessly mocked. They can win.'

After a year of revolt which became known as the "Maple Spring"—including massive street protests that received global attention—university students across Quebec were celebrating victory on Thursday night following the announcement from newly elected Premier Pauline Marois that the government was cancelling the proposed tuition hike that led to the student uprising and nullifying the contentious Bill 78 law which was introduc
Marois' announcement followed her very first cabinet meeting and was a fulfillment of pr
(visit the link for the full news article)

+1 more 
posted on Sep, 22 2012 @ 04:34 PM
link   
to all the people who said protesting does nothing to bring about change.

the students were facing tuition rate rises that were brought about by the global financial crisis, a crisis that none of the students started, none had created and non had benefited.

the banks made off like thieves, and strained the entire system of money and cost,

the bankers made billions driving up the cost of everything for everyone else.

and the people who pay the higest prices?
kids and young adults who had nothing what so ever to do with banking high crimes.

this is the first in a growing list of successes,
that show that when people care enough to get together they can change the system.

no more repressive protest laws,
no more penalising students, for what the bankers did

www.commondreams.org..." target="_blank" class="postlink">https:
(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on Sep, 22 2012 @ 04:42 PM
link   
No, instead you punish the taxpaying citizens.

posted on Sep, 22 2012 @ 04:43 PM
link   

Originally posted by DarthMuerte

Well they are the FOOLS who let the real thieves get away

posted on Sep, 22 2012 @ 04:46 PM
link   

posted on Sep, 22 2012 @ 05:05 PM
link   

i was hoping some tax hating americans would comment as you did,

tax the bankers and put them in jail,
then you wouldn't have massive "hidden tax" (inflation) taking much much more than your tax rate.
every worried about the 0% interest rate and a 2% inflationary figuar?

worried about that money or are you a hair triggered "blame the poor"?
type a guy

if the bankers paid tax on the money they stole in the finicail crisis there would be enough money and jobs for all

go be a tax the poor in someone elses thread until you can admit this

when the bankers walked of with 7 trillion, you said nothing,
when the bankers distroyed 76 million jobs you said nothing,

when bonuses were paid to the people irresponsible enough to blow up the whole system,
you said nothing,

now the problem is these students are going to cost tax money?

are you freeking serious?

what about the trillions?

are you trolling?

xploder

posted on Sep, 22 2012 @ 05:06 PM
link   
Je me souviens!

posted on Sep, 22 2012 @ 05:31 PM
link   
I'm so happy for them, this is some good news!

And it's a great example of what people can do (peacefully) to make a change. The more tuition rises the more people who can't/won't get degrees in fields that desperately need boosting. The whole world suffers.

Every time I read a thread on Quebec I start craving Poutine and there are no cheese curds where I live

posted on Sep, 22 2012 @ 05:46 PM
link   

Originally posted by XPLodER
[when the bankers walked of with 7 trillion, you said nothing,
when bonuses were paid to the people irresponsible enough to blow up the whole system, you said nothing,

xploder

Very well said

posted on Sep, 22 2012 @ 07:10 PM
link   
reply to post by XPLodER

I said nothing? Have you ever read any post I have ever written on the topic? Way to jump to conclusions.

posted on Sep, 22 2012 @ 07:31 PM
link   
I was hoping that would happen and could actualy see it coming
that the students would win over the old corrupted government
and that we would finaly have a strong leader in Pauline Marois
the reason why its a Victory for the students now
replacing Charest a greedy old creepy dude that has no leadership and didnt want to talk

Je me Souvien indeed that we are FREE
now we are free once again

people should start to see Hope in their free destiny now
living in peace and harmony with fairness is all we want
edit on 9/22/2012 by Ben81 because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 22 2012 @ 11:12 PM
link   

That is so true,the premier is already hitting the tax grab hard.

MONTREAL - The Parti Quebecois government said it will tax businesses and the rich in order to cover money lost due to an expensive campaign pledge.

After promising to cut the $200 yearly, Liberal-imposed health care tax, the PQ government said businesses and the rich will cover the $845 million shortfall.

Shirley Bishop, spokeswoman for the Premier`s office, told QMI Agency Saturday that the government plans to create two personal income tax brackets to pay for the cuts, one for those making over $130,000 and the second for incomes higher than $250,000. Businesses will also be taxed higher to help pay for health care.

Talk about killing jobs, best way is to hit the businesses hard with higher taxes. How hard will it be for the students to get a job when this hits ?

www.edmontonsun.com...

The students think they won but all they did was postpone the increase, and some think it should be free now.

However, one student group, CLASSE, wants free tuition, and will hold a protest Saturday in Montreal. Two other large federations said they aren't ruling out more protests if tuition isn't permanently frozen. Moreover, the big question remains: Where will the money come from to finance Quebec universities?

The government said it will hold a summit on education in a few months. While Quebec Premier Pauline Marois is publicly advocating indexing tuition increases to the annual rate of inflation, her party's final decision is unclear. What is clear is that the upcoming summit will pit students, universities and the government against each other to find the money to finance the province's post-secondary education system.

Daniel Zizian, president of CREPUQ, the association that groups the province's universities, said two studies commissioned by his organization reveal that Quebec universities are underfunded by $620 million compared to other Canadian universities.

He said he has no idea where student leaders got the idea that there are tens of millions of dollars that can be cut from existing university budgets.

www.edmontonsun.com...

Not sure if these students are really paying attension in class or not but reality is, the money has to come from someplace other than mommy and daddy. It's going to be a huge wake-up call when they have to get a job.

posted on Sep, 22 2012 @ 11:21 PM
link   

i was hoping some tax hating americans would comment as you did,

tax the bankers and put them in jail,
then you wouldn't have massive "hidden tax" (inflation) taking much much more than your tax rate.
every worried about the 0% interest rate and a 2% inflationary figuar?

worried about that money or are you a hair triggered "blame the poor"?
type a guy

if the bankers paid tax on the money they stole in the finicail crisis there would be enough money and jobs for all

go be a tax the poor in someone elses thread until you can admit this

when the bankers walked of with 7 trillion, you said nothing,

when bonuses were paid to the people irresponsible enough to blow up the whole system,
you said nothing,

what about the trillions?

are you trolling?

xploder

Not an American, I am from Ontario.

Yes, the bankers and the corporations are robbing us all blind....but what does that have to do with anything about the students in Quebec? They pay the lowest tuition in all of Canada....I feel so sad for Quebec, they receive billions in equalization payments every year.

Not to mention Quebec is the most corrupt province in Canada.

posted on Sep, 22 2012 @ 11:23 PM
link   
reply to post by Grayarea

yea thats it blame the students for the finacial crash of 08
forget the trillions bankers stole driving up the price for goods and services and focus on the pennys paid to teachers
forget the bankers inflated the money supply,
drove up the cost of everything,

forget the 7 trillion stolen by the banks and blame the students

nice logic bro

xploder

posted on Sep, 22 2012 @ 11:27 PM
link   
reply to post by MidnightTide

its a concept called inflation,
when the money supply is artificially inflated the cost of products and services goes up,
by printing more money than a mountain,
inflation increases and goods and services cost more next year, and the next

banks printed money because they exploded the economy,
this drives up prices for everything else.

the students didnt blow up the economy,
the banks did,
why should the students pay ever high tuition costs because the bankers cant add?

xploder

edit on 22-9-2012 by XPLodER because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 22 2012 @ 11:35 PM
link   
reply to post by XPLodER

Yes, I agree with you that the central banks, elite have screwed things up, but your forgetting the culmination of years of unsustainable government spending on unnecessary social welfare programs which have bred complacency and a sense of entitlement among citizens.

posted on Sep, 22 2012 @ 11:40 PM
link   

yea thats it blame the students for the finacial crash of 08
forget the trillions bankers stole driving up the price for goods and services and focus on the pennys paid to teachers
forget the bankers inflated the money supply,
drove up the cost of everything,

forget the 7 trillion stolen by the banks and blame the students

nice logic bro

xploder

At what point did I blame the students ? Do you or I have control of the global banking system and somebody forgot to tell us ? Canada is a small player in the global system and had nothing to do with the crash but we still have to pay for it. What, should we go and burn the whitehouse down again because the US had a bigger part in it ? lol

Don't preach logic if you fail to use it, where will the money come from, the tooth fairy ?

posted on Sep, 22 2012 @ 11:45 PM
link   

Don't preach logic if you fail to use it, where will the money come from, the tooth fairy ?

well if you trade stocks, you only pay a very small percentage of what you earn in taxes compared to a labourer,
seaming how the bankers and traders blew up THE WORLD ECONOMY,
they can pay on their trading profits like it was labour earnings

like everyone else,
and this would pay for the student shortfalls in spending

simple

xploder

posted on Sep, 22 2012 @ 11:47 PM
link   

Not sure if these students are really paying attension in class or not but reality is, the money has to come from someplace other than mommy and daddy. It's going to be a huge wake-up call when they have to get a job.

Jobs no longer pay the cost of a college education, atleast in the US. I don't know too much about Canada's costs. If one makes 10/hour in the US (which is about what you'll make as a recent HS grad... if you're lucky, that's a good deal above minimum) works 40 hours a week, and manages to put aside half of everything they make (this means their living expenses, food, shelter, entertainment, etc come to 8840/year after taxes) it will take 3 years of work to pay for one year of college at average tuition rates (20,000/year). That's 12 years of work to pay for college, with the exponential rate of tuition increases that's currently happening the reality is it's more like 13-14 years.

The idea of working to pay for college is dead. Either you take on massive loans and pay them off only after graduation (if you're lucky enough to find a job) or someone else pays for you in the form of successful parents, scholarships, or grants.

Canada doing something to try and keep the cost of college affordable is a good thing.
edit on 22-9-2012 by Aazadan because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 22 2012 @ 11:59 PM
link   
want to reduce student tuition?

get the government out of the student loan business.....

top topics

<<   2  3  4 >>

join