Libyans storm militia in backlash of attack on US embassy

page: 1
4

log in

join

posted on Sep, 21 2012 @ 07:41 PM
link   
www.mail.com...-stage-set1-1




September 21, 2012


Libyans storm militia in backlash of attack on US


BENGHAZI, Libya (AP) — Hundreds of protesters stormed the compound of one of Libya's strongest armed Islamic extremist groups Friday, evicting militiamen and setting fire to their building as the attack that killed the U.S. ambassador and three other Americans sparked a public backlash against armed groups that run rampant in the country and defy the country's new, post-Moammar Gadhafi leadership.

Armed men at the administrative center for the Ansar al-Shariah militia, suspected to have led the Sept. 11 attack on the U.S. Benghazi consulate, first fired in the air to disperse the crowd, but eventually withdrew from the site with their weapons and vehicles after it was surrounded by waves of protesters shouting "No to militias."

"I don't want to see armed men wearing Afghani-style clothes stopping me in the street to give me orders, I only want to see people in uniform," said Omar Mohammed, a university student who took part in the takeover, which protesters said was done in support of the army and police.

No deaths were reported in the incident, which came after tens of thousands marched in Benghazi in a rally against armed militias. A vehicle was also burned at the compound, which was taken over by Libyan security forces after its occupants fled.

For many Libyans, last week's attack on the U.S. Consulate in the eastern city of Benghazi was the last straw with one of the biggest problems Libya has faced since Gadhafi's ouster and death around a year ago — the multiple mini-armies that with their arsenals of machine guns and rocket-propelled grenades are stronger than the regular armed forces and police.


About time.
edit on 21-9-2012 by angrysniper because: (no reason given)




posted on Sep, 21 2012 @ 07:51 PM
link   

Originally posted by angrysniper
www.mail.com...-stage-set1-1




September 21, 2012


Libyans storm militia in backlash of attack on US


BENGHAZI, Libya (AP) — Hundreds of protesters stormed the compound of one of Libya's strongest armed Islamic extremist groups Friday, evicting militiamen and setting fire to their building as the attack that killed the U.S. ambassador and three other Americans sparked a public backlash against armed groups that run rampant in the country and defy the country's new, post-Moammar Gadhafi leadership.

Armed men at the administrative center for the Ansar al-Shariah militia, suspected to have led the Sept. 11 attack on the U.S. Benghazi consulate, first fired in the air to disperse the crowd, but eventually withdrew from the site with their weapons and vehicles after it was surrounded by waves of protesters shouting "No to militias."

"I don't want to see armed men wearing Afghani-style clothes stopping me in the street to give me orders, I only want to see people in uniform," said Omar Mohammed, a university student who took part in the takeover, which protesters said was done in support of the army and police.

No deaths were reported in the incident, which came after tens of thousands marched in Benghazi in a rally against armed militias. A vehicle was also burned at the compound, which was taken over by Libyan security forces after its occupants fled.

For many Libyans, last week's attack on the U.S. Consulate in the eastern city of Benghazi was the last straw with one of the biggest problems Libya has faced since Gadhafi's ouster and death around a year ago — the multiple mini-armies that with their arsenals of machine guns and rocket-propelled grenades are stronger than the regular armed forces and police.


About time.
edit on 21-9-2012 by angrysniper because: (no reason given)


but will we do the same for them when our president gets jumpy i guess time will tell



posted on Sep, 21 2012 @ 07:57 PM
link   
reply to post by digital01anarchy
 


nah, i don't believe you. you'll just stand in the soup line with everybody else.



posted on Sep, 21 2012 @ 08:12 PM
link   
reply to post by digital01anarchy
 


Simple answer, NO.



posted on Sep, 21 2012 @ 08:41 PM
link   
Heh, I opened a thread a while ago that was sent to the trash bin because of my limited commetary.

Wonder where that "Super Moderator" is at the moment.



posted on Sep, 22 2012 @ 11:04 AM
link   
reply to post by solarstorm
 


Here's a local ATS conspiracy for ya.....

Topics like this are held as placeholders so other people attempting to start threads on this hot topic can be trashed because they were not "first". Then after the first 24 hrs or so when the topic is hot and fresh is over, this will be trashed reasoned because there is no input by the thread starter in the opening post.

Total control. The content is wiped entirely from the site, no discussion remains on the topic.





new topics
top topics
 
4

log in

join