It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Pittsburgh hostage-taker posts Facebook updates

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Sep, 21 2012 @ 11:41 AM
link   
Pittsburgh hostage-taker posts Facebook updates

PITTSBURGH —A man who has taken a hostage inside a downtown Pittsburgh high-rise is posting Facebook updates as police try to negotiate the release of the man he's holding.

Pittsburgh police Chief Nate Harper identified the suspect as 22-year-old Klein Michael Thaxton. On his Facebook page, Thaxton says he's tired of the life he's lived and has “lost everything.”

Harper said Thaxton entered the 16th floor office of a benefits administration firm around 8 a.m. Friday asking for the man he eventually took hostage.

Harper says Thaxton has been calm and cooperative but hasn't made any demands.

Police evacuated the building, Three Gateway Center, and surrounded it along with county, state and federal agents. No injuries have been reported.

www.thestar.com...

Anyone know about this or have any other information available on the situation?

An armed man with a military background

has a criminal record that includes a guilty plea to robbery earlier this year and a minimum six-month jail sentence

A witness who works on the 16th floor identified the business where the hostage situation was unfolding as CW Breitsman Associates, a firm that helps businesses run employee benefits programs.

According to the Pittsburgh Post-Gazette, emergency dispatchers said the suspect also claimed to have a bomb.

More links;

www.cbsnews.com... g-police-say/

www.chicagotribune.com...

www.washingtonpost.com... /09/21/6409de2a-03ed-11e2-9132-f2750cd65f97_story.html

edit on 21-9-2012 by Ericthenewbie because: add links and content

posted on Sep, 21 2012 @ 11:49 AM
link   
Possible copy cat of the New York incident? I really hope not.

posted on Sep, 21 2012 @ 11:50 AM
link   
reply to post by Ericthenewbie

Apparently he posted his phone number on facebook and is actually answering the phone right now.

Crazy!

posted on Sep, 21 2012 @ 11:54 AM
link   
Could this be a case of the "economic crunch" finally pushing someone too far?

It's to early to know for sure but the fact that the company at which this is unfolding is an "employee benefits" firm..could have something to do with it.

Could he have been denied some form of treatment or medication...could it have been something related to his military service? Is he just some crazy person?

Lots of questions but at this point, very little information is available.

Anyone have a link to a live feed?
edit on 21-9-2012 by Ericthenewbie because: (no reason given)

Found this quote, apparently from his Facebook page;

"welln pops youll never have to worry about me again you'll nevr need to by me anything no need to ever waste ur hard earned money on me. i'll live n jail you dnt want me around anymore thats kool bye..."

Sounds like some family issues combined with some financial issues is at the root of this incident...what's everyone else think?

reply to post by loam

Crazy...any chance someone can confirm calling the number and speaking with him? I'd be very interested in hearing what they thought the guy's state of mind was?

posted on Sep, 21 2012 @ 12:11 PM
link   

Police shut down Facebook account of Pittsburgh hostage suspect Klein Michael Thaxton - @WPXIScott

www.breakingnews.com...

posted on Sep, 21 2012 @ 12:23 PM
link   
reply to post by lacrimaererum

Nice find!

I guess they (police) don't want to communicate with him over the information highway!

posted on Sep, 21 2012 @ 12:48 PM
link   
Update:

Police also confirmed that the hostage is Charles Breitsman, who founded CW Breitsman associates in 2007.

The hostage was targeted specifically, Chief Harper said.

Source

Interesting development to say the least...what's the connection?

posted on Sep, 21 2012 @ 12:49 PM
link   

Originally posted by Ericthenewbie
Crazy...any chance someone can confirm calling the number and speaking with him? I'd be very interested in hearing what they thought the guy's state of mind was?

I'd rather not post the number, but if someone really wants it, it can be easily found.
edit on 21-9-2012 by loam because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 21 2012 @ 12:51 PM
link   
reply to post by loam

My apologies, I didn't mean for you to post the number but rather just pass along any information of someone having spoke to him via his phone.

posted on Sep, 21 2012 @ 12:54 PM
link   

Apparently some have already done this, and report the guy actually answered.

No other details, though, that I can find.

posted on Sep, 21 2012 @ 12:57 PM
link   

Pittsburgh hostage suspect surrenders to police, is in custody; everyone involved is safe

Source

I still want to find out more about the motives for this happening!

Found this in an updated article..."Axis I mental health disorder" ;

Mr. Thaxton was admitted to the Veterans' Court program in November. His court files do not make clear how he was qualified for the program, but note that a defendant must be either active duty or a veteran, who has been diagnosed with an Axis I mental health disorder, who is currently facing criminal charges.

As part of his service plan, dated Dec. 29, he agreed to participate in a dual inpatient treatment facility, and at the conclusion of the program would move to a half-way house.

Mr. Thaxton agreed to cooperate with any recommended mental health and drug and alcohol treatment, as well.

Mr. Thaxton was accepted into inpatient treatment through Pyramid Wilkinsburg.

However, according to court records, Mr. Thaxton's probation officer filed a violation notice with the court on May 23, noting that he was at Altoona Hospital at the time. He was scheduled for a violation hearing on June 13, but it is unclear what happened at that hearing.

His next scheduled court appearance was to be with Judge John A. Zottola in veterans' court on Nov. 8.

Source

top topics

join