It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Romney's Hispanic event forgot to invite Hispanics:)

page: 2
<< 1   >>

join
share:

posted on Sep, 20 2012 @ 02:00 AM
link   
reply to post by FidelityMusic

Oh so sad.... You said Spain while talking about Hispanics. Your misunderstanding of what a Hispanic is is hilarious. You and the rest of America need to stop confusing us with Spanish people, and stop calling us Spanish. 500 years later, we're from the America's, and Caribbean Islands, not from Spain, we're not Spanish.

I'll bet I laughed harder than you did! Hell, I'm still laughing about your post!

Is Wikipedia good enough for you?:

Hispanic is an ethnonym that denotes a relationship to Spain or, in some definitions, to ancient Hispania, which comprised the Iberian Peninsula including the modern states of Andorra, Portugal, and Spain and the territory of Gibraltar. Today, organizations in the United States use the term to refer to persons with a historical and cultural relationship either with only Spain, while others with Spain and Portugal. Some organizations intend to encapsulate only the Spanish-speaking populations in the term Hispanic, limiting the definition to that subset, while others encapsulate Spain and Portugal in the term "Hispanic."

If not, here's Webster's definitions:

1: of or relating to the people, speech, or culture of Spain or of Spain and Portugal

2: of, relating to, or being a person of Latin American descent living in the United States; especially : one of Cuban, Mexican, or Puerto Rican origin

If you still want to be stubborn, even Hispanic.com accepts the following definitions:

1) Related to a Spanish-speaking people or culture.

2) Person of Latin American or Spanish descent.

3) Things or people that come from Spain or Spanish-speaking Latin America.

4) Persons of Mexican, Puerto Rican, Cuban, Central or South American, or other Spanish culture or origin, regardless of race.

Surprisingly we even have our own distinct looks that a lot of us can point out. But I wouldn't expect someone who isn't a Hispanic to be able to point out the two from one another.

Oh, really? Then why, pray tell, does Hispanic.com say this?:

Hispanics come in all sizes and shapes. There are Jewish, Arab, Asian, Indian and White Hispanics as well as brown. What most Americans perceive as brown is actually a mix of Indian and White. When Spanish explorers settled the Americas...they intermarried with the Indian women...the result was a new racial identity known as mestizos.

Now I'm laughing even harder!
Do you want to see some pictures of some very prominent Hispanics from Mexico and South America, or are you done with your nonsense? I've already got some links ready! Let me know.

You really should feel embarrassed that this old WASP knows so much more about what "Hispanic" means than you do!

It's actually pretty simple: If it wasn't for the historical connection to what was once known as Hispania (the Iberian Peninsula), there wouldn't be any Hispanics.

See ya,
Milt
edit on 20-9-2012 by BenReclused because: Typo

<< 1   >>

join