It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Apple ready to shut down your iPhone remotely

page: 3
<< 1  2    4 >>

join
share:

posted on Sep, 20 2012 @ 06:18 AM
link   

Originally posted by Swills
This is real and coming soon to an iPhone near you! The problem with power is it can be abused and the ability to to effectively shut down cells phones in today's age is huge! Just look at the various incidents of fraud Ron Paul faced or the scripted events at both the RNC and DNC, without cells phones none of that would have come to light. On one hand I disagree wholeheartedly with this ability to shut down any iPhone remotely but on another I completely agree with it. As far as the Gov't goes they should be as transparent as possible but this application should be used in all schools in the USA. Ask any teacher about the headache that is the cell phone in the classroom

Like I said, this is coming whether we like it or not so when the Gov't tries to use it for their own means we the people better speak up.

So, are they claiming that this is going to be to prevent kids from using their phones in school?

How about - and this might be considered to be totally out there on the fringe of common sense - parents are held accountable for disciplining their children, or that schools have rules forbidding the use of phones in the classroom, and they leave the rest of the nation out of it?!

I know, I'm radical! Maybe I should run for office of some kind with common sense thinking like that. It seems I'm more logical than some of the "smartest brains" in business and government

This is a bad move, but on the other hand people keep buying these pointless toys and signing up to be slaves.

I have another radical idea... if you don't want your phone to be turned off automatically at the will of others, don't buy an iPhone. I'm sure if their sales start to plummet on the news of this they'll think twice about having such control of items that other people own.

In effect, the customer doesn't own their device if it is able to be controlled by others in this way and rendered useless when someone else feels like it. This is a security breach built-in, and if people buy into that BS then perhaps they deserve everything they get?

posted on Sep, 20 2012 @ 06:26 AM
link   

Originally posted by davjan4
Hey, if I can do it, they can do it.

I buy computers for my company. Tomorrow I have a phone conf with a vendor who sells a service that will give me a dashboard on my computer to control the iPads I am considering buying. I'll have the ability to "geofence" them (they will operate only within a certain area), shut them off remotly, track them 24/7 without users knowing (they belong to the company so that's OK) and nuke them if I suspect one's been stolen. I'll be able to look at the dashboard and see where all my computers are, and thusly, where all the employees are and what path they have taken that day as they do their job...

We had a similer service a few years ago. We knew a lap had gone missing. Since it was encrypted and password protected, they couldn't use it, so they installed a new operating system. Thing was, the tracking stuff was installed in the BIOS, so a new OS didn't erase it.
We could never pin down where they were, except that it appeared that they were stealing bandwidth from construction trailers. becuase of th eIP address, we knew the city. So I crafted a message that basically said "You are using a stolen laptop. We know where yo live. We have enough evidence to arrest you. Return the laptop to the (city deleted) police department, no questions asked, and we won't prosecute". It was programmed so that next time the computer was turned on, the BIOS would display that window.

5 days later, I had my laptop back. I bet it scared the poop out of the guy. He may still be looking over his shoulder.
edit on 19-9-2012 by davjan4 because: (no reason given)

Doing this with company property is kind of expected. I don't think there is anything wrong with that. It's the property of the company, intended to be used responsibly on the behalf of the company.

It's a completely different scenario if you are selling a product, and transferring ownership to the buyer. They are not renting these items, and they are not an employee. The items belong to the purchaser, and therefore no other party should be able to render them useless when they decide to.

I can imagine that Apple will probably get away with this in the short term, but something will happen to draw attention to it later, and they'll have their butts sued off.

No one reads the small print these days, but when people start seeing their phone being hijacked by a corporation, they will be majorly angry.

This is idiotic, and it could spell the end of Apple if this is done. All it will take is some clever action by a competitor like HTC or Samsung. A well timed publicity of failures by Apple along with a new product and a competitor could destroy Apple over night.

posted on Sep, 20 2012 @ 06:42 AM
link   
reply to post by Legion2024

You sound like the type of people that would do 30mph in a 60mph Zone or complain about the "f" word being used in a prime time hour of television, the type of person that just wants to moan.

Did you buy that so called "dumd phone" just to catch people in the act? you are no better than the big brothers that watch us every day of our lives. Maybe you and apple could get together and come up with ideas on how to screw over your fellow man via the iphone.

posted on Sep, 20 2012 @ 06:58 AM
link   
reply to post by Swills

it just can't be allowed, it's unreasonable.
The points some of you have made are right, like theaters for example, it's good in principle...but what happens if you get a REALLY urgent call and don't hear it?
what if i'm watching a movie with my phone on "forced silent" and someone calls me because my wife had a car accident or something urgent in that manner?
i know 90% of the times phone are used for stupid things, but like it or not they can prove vital in certain situations.
hopefully this will stay within the iphone world since i don't use apple products.

posted on Sep, 20 2012 @ 07:50 AM
link   

Originally posted by Legion2024
For me they are not smart phones they are dumb phones, 99% of the time while on the road i have my wife with me and where we live its illegal to drive and talk on the phone, so my wife take a pic of the offender, a pic of the license plate and then email the pic numberplate the pic of the offender, location of where the dumb phone user is driving on the phone to the police.

I do hope the offenders are fined, making them very expensive phone calls.

It is simple do not put my family at risk with your attention being on the dumb phones.
edit on 19-9-2012 by Legion2024 because: (no reason given)

Wow, your wife sounds like a nosy busybody

I couldnt stand to be married to someone so hateful and full of spite.
Or maybe you deserve each other?
edit on 20-9-2012 by Juggernog because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 20 2012 @ 07:54 AM
link   

"sensitive areas."
reply to post by Swills

Yea ""sensitive areas" that can be determined willy nilly

posted on Sep, 20 2012 @ 08:03 AM
link   

Originally posted by Shadowlord
use android root it problem solved as once rooted can remove all the bloatware and spyware
Hopefully this is one patent Samsung won't copy...Apple can keep it to themselves!

posted on Sep, 20 2012 @ 08:48 AM
link   
reply to post by benrl

Bill gates, I believe, owns the patent on a system for movie theaters, and other areas, that effectively disables all electronic devices within the given range of the system. No more "please turn off your phone" instead, it's just dead until you get out of the area.

Cell phone scrambling is already out there, and a few stores here in my local mall have it running, you simply can not connect to a 3g/4g or cell network while inside their store.

Apple is taking the software route, by implanting this into their ios, it will cover the entire range of products.

And this brings me to a huge point I feel the need to make:

It's not your phone, it's apples, read the license agreement you probably didn't even sign. You can complain all you want, you already agreed to whatever draconian terms they provided you, and their ability to change them on a whim.

I's say go Android, like I did, but it's google folks, so unless you are adept at verifying the integrity of custom roms, you can expect the same eventually, just slightly different to avoid more lawsuits.

posted on Sep, 20 2012 @ 08:58 AM
link   
reply to post by haven123

Wasn't that in response to 'stars' because people are filming concert footage and then uploading to utube, thus denying the 'star' the chance to make money from the concert vid etc. or showing how s**t the concert is

Something to do with using IR to send a signal to the phone to shutdown the video/camera

posted on Sep, 20 2012 @ 09:01 AM
link   

Originally posted by phishyblankwaters
reply to post by benrl

Bill gates, I believe, owns the patent on a system for movie theaters, and other areas, that effectively disables all electronic devices within the given range of the system. No more "please turn off your phone" instead, it's just dead until you get out of the area.

Cell phone scrambling is already out there, and a few stores here in my local mall have it running, you simply can not connect to a 3g/4g or cell network while inside their store.

Apple is taking the software route, by implanting this into their ios, it will cover the entire range of products.

And this brings me to a huge point I feel the need to make:

It's not your phone, it's apples, read the license agreement you probably didn't even sign. You can complain all you want, you already agreed to whatever draconian terms they provided you, and their ability to change them on a whim. I's say go Android, like I did, but it's google folks, so unless you are adept at verifying the integrity of custom roms, you can expect the same eventually, just slightly different to avoid more lawsuits.

But Google's policy already is the equivalent of 'you have no privacy'. Jail break the phone instead

posted on Sep, 20 2012 @ 09:02 AM
link   

Originally posted by detachedindividual

I can imagine that Apple will probably get away with this in the short term, but something will happen to draw attention to it later, and they'll have their butts sued off.

If Apple bricked 3 million Iphones that were illegally unlocked or modified.......nobody will sue them.

What are people going to do? Mr. Police Officer, I had my buddy unlock my Iphone and Apple went and disabled the hardware so now it can never be used......

He would never even make it to court. No lawyer would take the case.
edit on 20-9-2012 by Pervius because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 20 2012 @ 09:05 AM
link   

Originally posted by Legion2024
For me they are not smart phones they are dumb phones, 99% of the time while on the road i have my wife with me and where we live its illegal to drive and talk on the phone, so my wife take a pic of the offender, a pic of the license plate and then email the pic numberplate the pic of the offender, location of where the dumb phone user is driving on the phone to the police.

I do hope the offenders are fined, making them very expensive phone calls.

It is simple do not put my family at risk with your attention being on the dumb phones.
edit on 19-9-2012 by Legion2024 because: (no reason given)

Wow, the system must be so proud of you. A great example of an excellent citizen. I can assure you that in a near future, your employment will be a sure thing...

posted on Sep, 20 2012 @ 09:19 AM
link   

Originally posted by davjan4
Hey, if I can do it, they can do it.

I buy computers for my company. Tomorrow I have a phone conf with a vendor who sells a service that will give me a dashboard on my computer to control the iPads I am considering buying. I'll have the ability to "geofence" them (they will operate only within a certain area), shut them off remotly, track them 24/7 without users knowing (they belong to the company so that's OK) and nuke them if I suspect one's been stolen. I'll be able to look at the dashboard and see where all my computers are, and thusly, where all the employees are and what path they have taken that day as they do their job...

We had a similer service a few years ago. We knew a lap had gone missing. Since it was encrypted and password protected, they couldn't use it, so they installed a new operating system. Thing was, the tracking stuff was installed in the BIOS, so a new OS didn't erase it.
We could never pin down where they were, except that it appeared that they were stealing bandwidth from construction trailers. becuase of th eIP address, we knew the city. So I crafted a message that basically said "You are using a stolen laptop. We know where yo live. We have enough evidence to arrest you. Return the laptop to the (city deleted) police department, no questions asked, and we won't prosecute". It was programmed so that next time the computer was turned on, the BIOS would display that window.

5 days later, I had my laptop back. I bet it scared the poop out of the guy. He may still be looking over his shoulder.
edit on 19-9-2012 by davjan4 because: (no reason given)

Ha ha ha! I was using a relatives Asus and pee'd off someone off that has the tools you have because they too put a message in the Bios that popped up when the computer was re-booted. I knew what they did and laughed my @$$ off.

$5 says within 18 months someone overseas eventually figures that Bios door out and mass pushes some crazy message on everyone's Bios globally that pops up when they re-boot. I figured it would have happened by now....somebody did lose the key to their door.
edit on 20-9-2012 by Pervius because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 20 2012 @ 09:29 AM
link   
So now when riots break out the gov can tell apple to shut all iphones down.

posted on Sep, 20 2012 @ 09:39 AM
link   

Originally posted by FFS4000

Jail break the phone instead

I don't recommend Jail Breaking an Apple Product. They will know and they won't be happy.

It's illegal.

posted on Sep, 20 2012 @ 09:54 AM
link   

Originally posted by Pervius

Originally posted by FFS4000

Jail break the phone instead

I don't recommend Jail Breaking an Apple Product. They will know and they won't be happy.

It's illegal.

Good. At least we'll get a little satisfaction, considering what they make us pay for one apple device.

posted on Sep, 20 2012 @ 10:38 AM
link   
Back a few years ago it appears Apple permanently disabled many iPhone's globally that were unlocked:

news.bbc.co.uk...

Juz raking in the dough......And the funny part is people just keep buying them.

posted on Sep, 20 2012 @ 11:06 AM
link   
reply to post by VoidHawk

Not really. XD I'm a young'in myself and don't really care too much about my phone. It's just to keep in touch with family and friends while I am away at school. There are some days that I barely even look at the thing. I don't get what the whole phone craze is with my generation. I do not feel the need to be connected to everyone else 24/7 or pay immensely huge phone bills.

posted on Sep, 20 2012 @ 11:58 AM
link   
ohh they just did that for all those muslims that hate the US and use the Iphone.

posted on Sep, 20 2012 @ 12:24 PM
link   

Originally posted by definity
So now when riots break out the gov can tell apple to shut all iphones down.

You think iPhone owners are going to have the gumption to riot in the streets? "Oh no, the hipster army is coming with their tattoos and their physically underdeveloped bodies! "Quick, shut down their iPhones, the true source of their power!"

new topics

top topics

<< 1  2    4 >>

join