It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Transferring software from computer to computer?

page: 1

join
share:
CX

posted on Sep, 19 2012 @ 05:47 PM
link   
Hopefully someone will know whether this is possible or not.....

My girlfriend bought a new laptop today. Her old laptop had Photo Impact 10 on which she liked. Is there any way of transferring this software from her old one to the new one? She hasn't got the cd for it any more.

Thanks for any help. If she can't, we'll have to look for another photo editing software.....can anyone recommend any decent ones that are either free or don't cost the earth?

CX.
edit on 19/9/12 by CX because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 19 2012 @ 05:50 PM
link   
Not too up to speed on the whole computer business myself, but would an external hard drive work?

Transfer from the old computer onto the hard drive then onto the new laptop?

Just an idea. Sure someone will be along soon to prove me wrong

posted on Sep, 19 2012 @ 05:57 PM
link   
reply to post by CX

I think that might be difficult unless she also got the installer files on the hard drive. You could try it anyways though by copying the folder over to a cd/external hd, but usually that wont work since they often depend on other libs, registery entries and so on.

Also i recommend checking out the free image editing software GIMP if she hasnt yet. This piece of software is nearly as good as photoshop and probably beats the hell out of photoimpact when it comes to features.
Link for gimp: www.gimp.org...
edit on 19-9-2012 by juleol because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 19 2012 @ 06:02 PM
link   
Could be possible if the program doesn't need to install any drivers or anything into the System. Go to Computer > Hard Drive > Program Files > "Name of Program" > Copy the folder onto a Hard Drive or Flash Drive > Transfer it to your new computers Program Files. Let me know what happens.

posted on Sep, 19 2012 @ 06:14 PM
link   
Most programs inject themselves into the registry when you install them. When they do this, you can't simply just copy the install folder from one PC to another as the registry settings will be left behind and the program won't run.

Some programs don't inject themselves into the registry and can run freely from your PC's memory when you start the executable. I am most certain that the caliber of software that is PhotoImpact 10 injects itself into the registry and can't just be copied over.

However, there is an open-box copy on Amazon for $30. I'm sure you can find it on Ebay or elsewhere for around that price as well. There are tons and TONS of other photo editing softwares for free or very inexpensive with just a simple Google search.

Hope that answered your question.

posted on Sep, 19 2012 @ 06:14 PM
link   
** deleted magical duplicate post **

edit on 19-9-2012 by _BoneZ_ because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 19 2012 @ 06:15 PM
link   
Just a little technical background before I tell you about pickmeapp.

When you install a program on a computer it performs a number of operations: Installs its own DLL or library files; makes various connections to existing Windows APIs and DLL files; puts information in the registry; just in general snakes its tendrils into the operating system.

The good news is that well-behaved programs write a record of all the changes that they made to the system so that they can be properly recognized, and for proper UN-installation (should you so desire). That information is also available should anyone care to go looking for it--as in a case where you don't have the installation CD--and move the associated settings to another computer.

As a result, there are a number of very good (though rather expensive) programs available for just that purpose--PC Mover from Laplink being one of them.

Pickmeapp is a free program that does the same thing. I have not personally used it, but I have reliable reports that it does as advertised. The trade-off is that during the installation you'll see offers from advertisers. BE VERY CAREFUL during the install that you don't end up instead installing some annoying and intrusive program from one of those advertisers. As Mrs. Reagan might say: "Just Say NO!"

Here's the link: PickMeApp (You will have to use a legitimate email address to register and to receive a link to the download. Use a throwaway email if you can--or at least not your main email address.)

posted on Sep, 19 2012 @ 06:17 PM
link   
how much content is it?

You can use SkyDrive or another cloud based service to back up the data and then re-transfer it to a new machine via their website or app.

Otherwise you can use Dropbox as well, or you can create a network between both devices and just drop and drag the data from one to another.

~Tenth

posted on Sep, 19 2012 @ 06:34 PM
link   
Like others have already said.. You cannot do it without the installation file, since it does create registry entries as well as files in the system and system32 directory.
I could recommend a place to get a new copy.. buuuut, my post would be deleted

posted on Sep, 19 2012 @ 06:36 PM
link   
Everyone seems to imply that you are using a PC, therefore so shall I, although I dumped it a long time ago in favour of Macintosh, but this is a matter of personal taste. Whatever.
Find a program called Everest. It will show you a lot of info AND the keys ( rows of seemingly random letters & numbers ) for all your installed programs. Make a note of the key used for your specific program. Search for exactly the same version of the program on Google, download the ".exe", "setup" or "install" file. Install. Use your recovered key. Thank me

edit on 19-9-2012 by trisvonbis because: names...

posted on Sep, 19 2012 @ 07:02 PM
link   
reply to post by CX

Everybody here has dived right in and offered all sorts of advice but no one has stopped to ask the most important question first. Do the 2 machines have compatible operating systems and architecture?

What was the old operating system? Was it 32 or 64bit?

What is the new operating system? Is it 32 or 64bit?

As for the one of the OP's original questions for any good free photo editing software..yes you can try Photoshop online free which is pretty good.

If you really, really, really wanted the original bit of software and were prepared to put the work in to get it you could image your entire old windows system into a single file and then install it on the new machine as a second partition or even a VHD (which would not require a second partition) in a dual boot configuration. But thats kind of drastic for a single bit of software, just depends how much you want it

posted on Sep, 19 2012 @ 07:11 PM
link   
reply to post by CX

edit on 19-9-2012 by rigel4 because: (no reason given)

CX

posted on Sep, 20 2012 @ 02:11 AM
link   
Thank you everyone for the great replies, this will be a great help to my girlfriend and i've learnt a fair bit in the process.

CX.

top topics

join