It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Odd, very odd things between us and the sun

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Oct, 15 2004 @ 05:23 PM
link   
I am very curious. I haven't the foggiest what this is.

Am hoping that one of our ATS astonomy types can clear up the
mystery.

This appeared in the sunset over Castle Dale Utah, yesterday.
It was also in the sunrise this am. Big black dot sitting right
in front of the sun. Yes, big black dot...planet, starship...
whatever...it isn't the moon. That much I do know for absolutely
certain.

Any ideas, people.

Check out this link:

www.ewcd.org...

posted on Oct, 15 2004 @ 05:37 PM
link   
Hmm interesting.

My first thought was that there could have been something on the lens, then i thought no because its moving in time with the sun.

Then i thought well it could be an insect moving with the sun, then i thought no dont be silly.

Although it could be the moon...

CRESCENT SUNSET: In Hawaii, just before sunset on Oct. 13th, the moon glided in front of the sun producing a partial solar eclipse. On the beach at Wailea, Maui, Rob Ratkowski took this picture of the sun with a strange bite taken out of it:

"The clouds came in and during the best part of the eclipse a large cloud blocked my view," laments Ratkowski. "At the last moment, though, the eclipsed sun dropped below the cloud and was seen through an offshore squall."

www.spaceweather.com

Now the moon should be alot bigger than that black dot in them images.

The only other thing i can think of would be a sun spot but if it was a sunspot or coronal hole it would huge and there are not reports of any huge sunspots earth facing at the moment only one small one.

I doubt very much that its any sort of ufo etc.

One last thing it could just be something to do with the webcam because the sun is so bright that this could be some sort of lens flare or something else along those lines, and because webcams are not very good with lighting it could just be something to do with the way the cam reacts to bright light.

posted on Oct, 15 2004 @ 05:48 PM
link   
To me it looks like it IS the sun itself.

It could be that your camera is overloaded when it receives the light from the solar disk - and as it is a digital device - it can easily "go around" the spectra. That is - too much white becomes black.

posted on Oct, 15 2004 @ 05:51 PM
link   
Im wondering how many people are going to say this is planet X!

posted on Oct, 15 2004 @ 06:09 PM
link   
[edit on 15/10/2004 by rai76]

posted on Oct, 15 2004 @ 06:41 PM
link   
A starship? LOL.

It was most probable the moon, sinse it has been pretty close to the sun.

posted on Oct, 15 2004 @ 06:53 PM
link   
TOO much light on the PIXELS of the CCD camera..
They become overloaded on some cameras, and you get junk in that part of the image...I notice that it's going, going, gone. As the sun goes down..

Thats my best guess!

posted on Oct, 15 2004 @ 06:54 PM
link   
I think it is simply the sun itself, but because of the intense light, the image is over exposed at the center of the sun. Notice while clouds are passing in front of the sun, the stain disappears. I suppose it is the way the webcam reacts to over exposure...

posted on Oct, 15 2004 @ 07:11 PM
link   
It's not a bug.

It is not the moon.

It is there in tonight's sunset as well.

here is the link

www.ewcd.org...

And here it is again, this morning at sunrise, from a completely
different webcamera, this one stationed at Horn Mountain, Utah.

www.ewcd.org...

What is it? My most inquiring mind would like to know.

[edit on 15-10-2004 by radstar]

posted on Oct, 15 2004 @ 07:17 PM
link   
SPOOKY,

I just said that!

Jinx, 123

posted on Oct, 15 2004 @ 07:23 PM
link   

www.ewcd.org...

Are you kidding? This thing is that big and obvious, with a purple fringe, and you think its not and artefact of a cheesy webcam? Where are the streams of people running away from teh giant black hole with purple fringe in the photos? And no one anywhere else can see this thing?

Seriously, is this a joke or something? Where are you getting this from? Just the webcam, or are you in the area? Do you know anyone there? They mentioned anything a little unusual lately?

posted on Oct, 15 2004 @ 07:28 PM
link   
i dont see the spot. can someone circle it for me?

maybe i'm just blind....

posted on Oct, 15 2004 @ 07:38 PM
link   
I suggest you start looking at sunset cams around the world.

Katkam has been coming up with two setting suns for the last few
days.

I've been checking all over the world for sunset views.

Better, if it isn't dark where you live right now, run outside with
your trusty little digital and take some pictures for us, then post them
here.

Do you think I am making this us?

Three links. from different days, different cameras. Can you do as well?

posted on Oct, 15 2004 @ 07:38 PM
link   

Originally posted by spacedoubt
SPOOKY,

I just said that!

Jinx, 123

That's right! When I hit the button reply, you had not replied yet, so I couldn't know... Anyway, that proves that at least someone else agrees with me!!

jra

posted on Oct, 15 2004 @ 08:00 PM
link   
The black stuff definately is from the CCD's being overloaded from too much intense light. I've done this with my own webcam before. I get a black dot over the sun. If you took a film camera, it would just be bright white. I don't know about a higher quality digital camera, since i don't own one, but I don't think they black out bright light.

Just get a really dark lens filter. One made for looking at the sun and take a pic. The black dot won't be there...

posted on Oct, 15 2004 @ 08:14 PM
link   

Originally posted by radstar
Katkam has been coming up with two setting suns for the last few
days.

Are you actually sugesting that there are two suns now?

Better, if it isn't dark where you live right now, run outside with
your trusty little digital and take some pictures for us,

I don't have a digital, I have a film camera. I don't need a camera to see that there isn't a giant black smear with purple edges on the sun.

Do you think I am making this us?

Honestly, I thought it was so ludicrous that you were making it up, for a little bit anyway. I figured, man, thats so ridiculous, it has to be a joke right?

Three links. from different days, different cameras.

Three digital cameras that at best wig out when looking directly at the sun. And, different days? If it was different days, well, shouldn't it be the same days? If its there, then they'd all see it the same time. It shouldn't be showing up on one one day and not another, but then magically show up on another another day.

Can you do as well?

I can look at the sun without a digital camera, at least fast enough to see that there isn't a, what eactly, space monster with purple trim out there? Do you have a digitil camera? Why don't you take a pic of the sun.

[edit on 15-10-2004 by Nygdan]

posted on Oct, 15 2004 @ 08:29 PM
link   
Actually that effect can be seen in film as well, at least with the older, slower emulsion films. This is called solarization, which is not to be confused with the Sabatier effect, which anyone who has ever taken a darkroom class is familiar with.

posted on Oct, 15 2004 @ 08:57 PM
link   

Originally posted by HowardRoark
Actually that effect can be seen in film as well, at least with the older, slower emulsion films.

Interesting, imagine the look on my face if I took a 35mm film photo of the sun and unexpectedly saw that abberation!

posted on Oct, 15 2004 @ 09:17 PM
link   
Actually, it is difficult to do that with modern films.

posted on Oct, 15 2004 @ 10:22 PM
link   
It is obviously the CCDs.

The Black spot with the purple haze is caused by the camera not having the capabilty to work with anything with that high of a contrast level.
Its just too much brightness for a Camera to handle.

new topics

top topics

<<   2 >>

join