It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

My Name Is Josh and I am a addict

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Sep, 19 2012 @ 05:57 AM
link   
Its true, Its true I am a slave. I
To the delicous pumpkin that is

It is the time of year when they start artificially flavoring everything to taste like pumpkin. From muffins to cookies, pies and cakes then my other addiction coffee and pumpkin flavored tea. Or at the Convince stores you have the pumpkin flavored capp. I even saw damn pumpkin Eggo waffles while I was taking my daughter shopping. There is just so many choices If I had the money and the time I would eat them all. I would gain 50 lbs in 2 short months. Yes it is true I love pumpkin. If i could I would tie off and inject that canned pumpkin pie filling Right INTO my VAINS.

Then the beer Pumpkin Flavored beer from hometown brews to national beer, Once again so many choices I would end up drunk 24/7 for the next month. I was at the bar and saw pumpkin flavored vodka and a pumpkin spice rum. Where will this madness stop.

So now that I am done with this little artificially flavored rant I must ask. Do any of you eat pumpkin in the raw. It is not only very good, but very good for you. Lets take out all the processed fat and other crap thrown in these treats mentioned above. Pumpkins are a Fruit and pumpkin seeds have been found that date back to 500 BC in civilizations. Seeds dating back earlier have been found. The word it self is derived from Greek meaning large Melon.

One of my favorite things to do with raw pumpkins is just to take the outer skin off and throw the "Flesh" right on to a open fire. Roasted pumpkin strips are extremely good to eat. Another simple thing to do is after gutting the pumpkin take the seeds and roast them or you can eat them raw. A excellent source of Vitamin A and C along with non saturated fats and good amino acids.

So do you have any good actual pumpkin recipes to share. As I fear once November is over I will be going threw pumpkin withdrawal and might end up looking something like this.

posted on Sep, 19 2012 @ 06:00 AM
link   
reply to post by JValhalla

The picture is funny.

As a fan of pumpkins, I think youll enjoy this:

posted on Sep, 19 2012 @ 06:04 AM
link   
So anyways after my little ramble hear is a soup you can make that is quite good
Note: Don't use your usual Halloween pumpkin as it is very bitter. Your local farmers market should have a variety of different pumpkins. Almost all a better to use than the standard orange carving pumpkin. However the seeds out of the standard pumpkin are still good to eat.

2 Cup Pumpkin cubed flesh
2 Green Apples peeled and cored
1 cup Cubed butternut squash
3/4 Cup Coconut water
1 clove of garlic crushed or minced
2 tbsp of roasted sunflower seeds
1/2 tsp of thyme
1/2 tsp of paprika
1/2 tsp of sea salt
1/2 cup of water

Combine all ingredients in blender. Blend till liquid. Heat and serve 1-3 servings depending on portions.
edit on 19-9-2012 by JValhalla because: Note

posted on Sep, 19 2012 @ 06:06 AM
link   
reply to post by gladtobehere

Wow that guy has some talent. I could never do that. Its amazing what some people can turn into art.

posted on Sep, 19 2012 @ 06:34 AM
link   

HI JOSH

That recipe is really interesting - will give it a bash sometime. Coconut Water - who would have thunk it ?

What I love about pumpkins the most are the seeds. I take the fresh seeds and bake them on high for about 10 mins with a small amount of olive oil and salt. Best snack ever !

Ned

posted on Sep, 19 2012 @ 06:49 AM
link   
Ned, Exactly its a great snack for any time.
Growing up as a kid me and my father use to go to the farmers after their harvest, and ask if we could comb the fields for any extra pumpkins, we would pay them something like .20-.30 cents a lb. We would usualy end up with about 100lbs or so. We would make large batches of pumpkin seeds, Just roasted and sea salted. They would stay good all winter so we would bring them with us, Ice fishing or hunting or whatever we were doing during the cold months. We would hand them out for free at local soup kitchens or just whoever wanted some.

I posted the above as I feel the pumpkin is becoming just another artificial seasoning. But there is so much more use for it Also for those of you who never tried fresh pumpkin seeds. Do it, if you tried the store bought brand there is no wounder why you didn't like them. Roasted and Bleached? Ekk.

posted on Sep, 20 2012 @ 07:31 AM
link   
I try to make pumpkin seeds year after year.

How do you make them so they are crispy and not chewy?

I have tried making sure none are stacked on top of each other, letting them dry for a few hours, cooking them hotter and longer, but every time they are chewy. And not even edible by the time they cool. I usually coat them in olive oil and salt.

posted on Sep, 20 2012 @ 07:58 AM
link   
Hello good question:

I boil the seeds first. Then let simmer for 10-15 minutes. Take the seeds strain them. Pat them dry with a paper towel. Have your oven set for about 400. Brush oil on the bottom of the baking pan. Make sure the seeds are in one layer not piled on top of each-other. Bake for about 20 minutes. They should be golden brown @ about 20 minutes try one and see if they are to your liking if not 5-10 minutes more.

posted on Sep, 20 2012 @ 08:41 AM
link   

Originally posted by JValhalla
Hello good question:

I boil the seeds first. Then let simmer for 10-15 minutes. Take the seeds strain them. Pat them dry with a paper towel. Have your oven set for about 400. Brush oil on the bottom of the baking pan. Make sure the seeds are in one layer not piled on top of each-other. Bake for about 20 minutes. They should be golden brown @ about 20 minutes try one and see if they are to your liking if not 5-10 minutes more.

I had never thought to boil them first! I will definitely try it out this year when we carve pumpkins.

posted on Sep, 20 2012 @ 08:50 AM
link   
No problem. The boil helps remove the pumpkin guts and oil which is actually pretty heat resistant. Make sure you use the middle rack when baking them.

posted on Oct, 30 2012 @ 01:17 AM
link   
I really liked the information.

Sanjeev Kapoor Recipes

posted on Oct, 30 2012 @ 01:21 AM
link   

Don't worry OP, you're not the only one with a flavour-specific addiction. If it has maple syrup or maple flavouring I can't keep myself away. I know if I suddenly start being followed by a film crew someone cared enough to call an Intervention.

top topics

join