It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Off the grid commune living

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Sep, 19 2012 @ 01:52 AM
link   
After reading so many posts on ATS by people who are loosing their jobs,loosing their homes and basically on the brink of being homeless..i had to wonder if anyone has thought of creating a thread for folks who might want to join up to go off the grid and work together in their different areas of the USA? If you have a handful of folks willing to put their heads together and pitch in to create a sort of communal living space id think this might work. Here in my state of arizona we have a good number of people who have been doing this and it seems to be working out for them. A few folks even set up temporary housing and gardens on BLM land and spent 10 months rent free. Ive also seen a good number of folks upkeeping the acreage on some property for free rent. Any thoughts?

Here is a link for BLM land info if anyone is interested

[SNIP]

Mod Note: Please take note of our Terms and Conditions with regards to solicitation, specifically this part:

i) You will not use your membership in the Websites for any type of recruitment to any causes whatsoever. You will not Post, use the chat feature, use videos, or use the private message system to disseminate advertisements, chain letters, petitions, pyramid schemes, or any kind of solicitation for political action, social action, letter campaigns, or related online and/or offline coordinated actions of any kind.

edit on 20-9-2012 by Gemwolf because: Left note

posted on Sep, 19 2012 @ 02:05 AM
link   
reply to post by trig_grl

I am currently jobless and have been considering selling my wealth of a book collection of rare and expensive occult books, though I really dont want to give them up... Depending on how things pan out the next month or two, I may just be driven to do so for fear of being stuck here in the city when it's far too late..
Unfortunately, when what is inevitably about to occur DOES, many dangerous systems such as our sewers, Nuclear reactors, water systems, electrical systems, etc. are not adequately cared for then the whole earth is going to be a dead waste for at least a few thousands of years... Another Lemuria/Atlantis... this time, who knows what we will be called and remembered for? Definitely not amazing monuments like the Pyramids, the Costa Rican Spheres, Yonaguni, The Mayan Temples, etc. No, it will be a fallen statue of liberty and some toxic rubble.
edit on 19-9-2012 by itsallintheegg because: left out a word

edit on 19-9-2012 by itsallintheegg because: typo

posted on Sep, 19 2012 @ 03:07 AM
link   
reply to post by itsallintheegg

Well to sell you will need a list of books to list. If you make that list PLEASE pm me it. I am always on the lookout for rare books. I have been known to pay top dollar for the ones that I want.

Off the grid living with a group is probably the best way to learn survival skills. Because lets face it, when crap hits the fan all the retards are going to grab their "bug out bags" and run off into the wilderness. Those guys all think they are melgibson in the road warrior and within a few weeks they are going to kill each other and then starve to death. The rest of us sane folks are going to be rebuilding society. I mean have you seen 1/2 the Rambo wanna be crap that people post here on this forum?

posted on Sep, 19 2012 @ 03:13 AM
link   
I think it is a good idea. Reminds me of this documentary I watched call "Off The Grid Life on the Mesa" where people were doing something very similar out in New Mexico.

posted on Sep, 19 2012 @ 07:31 PM
link   

I can tell you as someone who has been through natural disasters a couple times (floods and cyclone) that community is what matters most in the aftermath of these kind of events. Even now the community I live in generally pull together to help each other out as much as we can, because we've all been there. It needn't be a case of waiting for the STHTF before you start considering this kind of thing, and it needn't be a country only thing. My brother lives in a city and they have the same kind of thing going in their street. We grow different vegies to swap, pitch in with helping each other out wherever we can, and when things turn bad for one of us, the rest are there to help out. This idea of running off to the wilderness in the big event and living in a cave is just Hollywood brainwashing at it's best. My advice from someone who has been in a real SHTF scenario is get back home and start rebuilding your own street first, rather than running away to a supposed new life (and soon after death).

posted on Sep, 19 2012 @ 10:28 PM
link   
I love the idea of living off the grid but I am far too anti-social to consider living in a commune with a bunch of people as eccentric and weird as I am.

posted on Sep, 19 2012 @ 10:44 PM
link   
i can confirm the info in the link.
i've been rv/camping for 25 years in the area.
high country in the summer and desert all winter.
quartzite for instance, will be 105 plus all summer.
million of more pass through during the rock show.
115 in august, about 100 residence.
other areas many congregate are places like, the slabs, over in cali.
the difference, so far, between blm and forest service is significant.
i recently posted this, forest service crack down.
blm land is huge, most don't even really know about it.
far less man power patrolling.

questions welcome.

posted on Sep, 19 2012 @ 11:21 PM
link   

Originally posted by Sparky63
I love the idea of living off the grid but I am far too anti-social to consider living in a commune with a bunch of people as eccentric and weird as I am.

I kind of feel the same way you do. I would be interested to see how these communes work within the confines of agreed upon "laws" or how they manage to deal with issues that arise from disagreements. Do they have elected leaders that resolve conflicts?

posted on Sep, 22 2012 @ 05:48 PM
link   
seems like a good idea but can you trust people you dont know?. if SHTF and food supply started getting low would everyone share? I think i would rather be with my own family or friends. alot of weirdos out their.

top topics

join