It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Diplomacy

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Sep, 18 2012 @ 01:57 PM
link   
I like every other clear minded sane American believe in diplomacy as a first course of action in conflict and foreign policy. There are very few times when diplomacy should not be considered. I have two main reasons for my belief in diplomacy.

It can do no harm. Diplomacy as implemented by a qualified diplomat and debater rarely results in any widespread harm. Many feel that the word diplomacy describes an apologetic stance. It doesn’t. It simply means that the conflict is resolved, or the war is fought in a briefing room between politicians. A skilled debater is a good start at being a skilled diplomat. By a skilled debater I mean a person that can genuinely present their truth in words, and convince his/her advisory to move on a subject and come away with a different point of view. This is good diplomacy, and it is what should happen in a diplomatic meeting of minds.

I also believe in diplomacy because it provides a means of accountability for the actions of the government. They take a risk and go meet a person that represents a country with a grievance to hopefully fight with their mind, not with guns and lives. Anyone willing to hold office should be willing to do this for their country before they put the lives of others on the line. I believe that anyone in office that is not willing to do this is a coward. Being a politician is a tough and dangerous job, but it is the greatest service to the country that one person can give.

People that have trouble with the idea of diplomacy in my opinion are too prideful, maybe even arrogant. “Pride goeth before a fall” Historically the same people that are good at debate are also good at diplomacy. I am very scared by the fact that some highly skilled debaters do not seem interested in the idea of diplomacy. If we can’t put those debating skills to use abroad, then what good are they? Domestic debate is very competitive, but far less important being as our foreign policy and actions dictate so many things domestically, not to mention the sovereignty of our nation.

posted on Sep, 18 2012 @ 02:03 PM
link   
reply to post by AnarchysAngel

I agree with everything you said! The problem is, IMO, is that how can we have dilomacy, when we have organizations like the CIA, MI6, etc etc..... who are always working behind the scenes working on a totally different agenda??

Hasn't the word diplomacy been bastardized to be nothing more than a calming pill to make the masses believe that their governments are trying to do the right thing, while it seems that other government agencies are working behind the scenes to do quite the opposite?

I think that "diplomacy" is a great thing in any society, but for it to work, we must have honesty in our governments!!!! With that being said, we have a loooooong way to go!

posted on Sep, 18 2012 @ 02:06 PM
link   
reply to post by seeker1963

Honesty in this case is the honesty in the truth of the American way. Getting someone of sound mind to understand why the American way is a good thing for Americans, and that the American way can coexist with other ways, isn't too difficult.

posted on Sep, 18 2012 @ 02:14 PM
link   
reply to post by AnarchysAngel

Honesty in this case is the honesty in the truth of the American way. Getting someone of sound mind to understand why the American way is a good thing for Americans, and that the American way can coexist with other ways, isn't too difficult.

The American way, works fine for Americans. (as I am one) But we have no right to push what our media tells us is "Democracy" on other countries. After all, America is NOT a Democratic country as most believe. It is a Republic!

Our Constitution would work fairly well in this crazy world we are living in if not for the corruption that Americans put up with from our government officials.

How is Democracy working in Libya and Egypt right now? Not to long ago our government was bragging about how we helped to liberate those people. But as you and I both know, it had nothing to do with liberating them!

new topics

top topics

join