It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

What does wwwnc stand for

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Sep, 16 2012 @ 11:48 PM
link   
Does anyone know what wwwnc stand for? The only site I see it on is the centers for disease controls site. Any information would be appreciated.

Thanks

WonOunce

posted on Sep, 17 2012 @ 12:42 AM
link   
Can't say for sure. I'm assuming www indicates world wide web. Not sure about the nc part. News center? Notifications center?

I'm more inclined to it being "notifications center" because that's what it appears to be... notifications to travelers about disease outbreaks and risks.

posted on Sep, 17 2012 @ 01:43 AM
link   
For anybody else curious, here's the link: wwwnc.cdc.gov...

My own guess is National Center, you'll see this in the bottom right of the first page:

Content source: Centers for Disease Control and Prevention
National Center for Emerging and Zoonotic Infectious Diseases (NCEZID)
Division of Global Migration and Quarantine (DGMQ)
Yeah, it's a stretch, I figure I've got about a 40% chance of being right.

posted on Sep, 17 2012 @ 02:13 AM
link   
reply to post by WonOunce

I believe that Mr Charles1952 is correct. As it happens, I live in Atlanta, not far from the CDC and have friends who work there. I've just sent a text to one asking for clarification.

Whether or not my friend will dignify me with an answer is in question, though... I didn't stop to realize that I was texting her at 3:00 AM.

According to web sources this abbreviation also can stand for "network computer" - so it could also be a URL designed to differentiate between the "public relations" sites and the actual researcher based ones.

If I get an answer from my friend, I will share it here.

~Heff

posted on Sep, 17 2012 @ 02:21 AM
link   
OFF-TOPIC POST

Here on ATS we try to maintain some, if only the slightest, relationship between our posts and the Opening Post. Despite using our highest power magnifier, we have been unable to detect such a relationship here. Therefore, this miserable attempt at a post will be shredded, burnt, spat upon, and used to cover the floor of Hefficide's stable.

WARNING ATS users. Do not try to post off-topic threads without the direct approval and supervision of a Mod. You have been warned.
edit on 17-9-2012 by charles1952 because: Self-Moderating.

new topics

top topics

join