It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Is NHL Season Lost like 2005?

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Sep, 16 2012 @ 09:18 PM
link   
Will us die hard NHL fans be left to watch re-runs of past games, or lower quality AHL games that may or may not be broadcast. And why is the season in jeopardy? IMHO-----GREED. Greed on the players part, greed on the owners part and greed on the NHL & NHLPA. Whos left to suffer it out? The fans.

Baseball strike of 94, ended me on baseball. I would'nt walk across the street to watch the world series, with baseline seats, free of charge. That stike ended my support of baseball. The lock out in the NHL in 05 took me to the brink when it comes to supporting and being a fan of the NHL. But, The Hurricanes won the cup in 06 and all was forgivin. (Big Carolina Fan Here).

I watch the league change for the better after that lock out, a better game, closer contest's, faster and much funner than the old clutch & grap game. But a mere 6 years have past. All parties involved knew when the end date was of the current CBA. Why did you ALL wait till the very end before you started talking about a new CBA?

Makes no sense to me, to wait till you know there's not enough time. Cheated is what I feel as a fan. Why the freak do I own these season tickets, if there's no season? So an open thanks to Gary Bettman, NHL Commissioner.Donald Fehr & all the representative's of the NHLPA. Thanks for nothing, thanks for being a bunch of greedy arse-holes... across the board. Players, Owners, NHL & NHLPA all of you are to blame.

Now the AHL gets the see the young talent that we the season ticket holders of the NHL should be seeing. Just look at the NHL.COM and see the amount of talent the teams are sending to the minors. It's BS.

I know some will think, a redneck like me here in the south, bitch'in & ,Moan'in about no Ice Hockey. Because it's the greatest sport there is, hands down. Offense, Defense, Speed, Grace, and the amount of pull skill it takes to play the game. I some times wish I could go back in time to when I was like 6 years old and beg my mom & dad to move to Montreal or Toronto, just so I could have had a chance to play.

So, to other hockey fans, looks like we may not have any hoorahs this October. Sad state of affairs for the hockey fan. Sad state of affairs, indeed. I guess 650 thousand a year for entry level player is just not enough money to live on. Go Figure.
edit on 16-9-2012 by openyourmind1262 because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 16 2012 @ 09:34 PM
link   
To be honest, the entire NHL needs to collapse and the larger market teams should join forces with a few large market teams from the IHL and form a brand new 24 team league. Any more than that really waters down the talent pool.
edit on 16-9-2012 by DaTroof because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 17 2012 @ 03:47 AM
link   
Wait, what's going on? I'm a huge hockey fan, but I have no idea what you're talking about. But I also live in a state with no sports or hockey so this is the first I'm hearing of this.

I guess a quick visit to NHL.com should clear this up for me.

If there is another strike I'm going to be pretty upset..my Kings just won too

And speaking of going back in time..I'm pretty sure I won't be playing hockey again this winter either. My bum hip is winning the battle.

edit on 17-9-2012 by NarcolepticBuddha because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 17 2012 @ 08:14 AM
link   
reply to post by NarcolepticBuddha

Want be a strike. It will be a lock-out by the owners. I have my doubts the season starts as scheduled. Yet again the fan is left in the cold. I have two season tickets for the Carolina Hurricanes, they be up for sale, even if the season starts. I think I'm done giving my hard earned money to a bunch of whiney arse owners & greedy arse players.

Being in Carolina and being in the arena in 06 when we won the cup was awesome an experience. I was in in NY in 94 when the Rangers won . I have had the pleasure of seeing two teams win & skate the Cup. If the lock out or strike. I'm done. On a side note. I just really took a good look at your avatar. ELO, I seen them when I was about 13 or 14 in the Greensboro . It was an awesome show, That stage was like the album cover( big space ship) I have been a fan ever since. Thanks for throwing that memory into my head this morning.
edit on 17-9-2012 by openyourmind1262 because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 17 2012 @ 08:17 AM
link   
reply to post by openyourmind1262

At least you have AHL and college hockey to fall back on haha. I can't even catch an NHL game in my town without premium cable.

Here's to hoping for a good season

edit on 17-9-2012 by NarcolepticBuddha because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 17 2012 @ 08:21 AM
link   
reply to post by NarcolepticBuddha

No college hockey here, and I would have to drive two hours one way in order to watch our Charlotte AHL team. AHL games arent televised around here. I guess i could go to Winston Salem and watch a ECHL team play, would be like watching some guys like you & I out there trying to play.LOL

Thats not a knock on you, but I imagine with a bum hip and me with my two surgeries on my knee's we would be the "Gray Line" Those 4 minute shifts because that's how long it would take me to get over the boards!!
edit on 17-9-2012 by openyourmind1262 because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 17 2012 @ 09:08 AM
link   
I'm pissed too. Hockey is the only sport I enjoy watching and playing. I have tickets to the outdoor game at U-M Stadium this winter as well. Red Wings fan here. Hockey used to not be about greed and money and that is what is killing them now. Used to be that players had to earn their way in and would never make big money until they have earned it. Hockey players are closer to normal people than any other athlete. Hence, not much endorsments in hockey unless you are a sell out. They shouilb be playing for the love of the game not money. If there is a lockout I think I will be quiting as a hockey fan as well.

posted on Sep, 17 2012 @ 11:01 AM
link   

I hope not, some how my post did not go through, ugh!

To bad the winter olympics was not this year, we all could be watching those games.
The juniors might be fun to watch, and college hockey. But being in Houston, might have to go hit up an Aeros game to get my fix.

Just hope they get a CBA before they cancell the winter classic at the "Big House", Red Wings vs Maple Leafs. +100k fans, outside, and the Alum Game would be great to watch. But if there is another season lost, Fold the NHL...

Pled to the Hockey gods, force these fools to make a new CBA now. Get the games going...

posted on Sep, 17 2012 @ 12:49 PM
link   
reply to post by usmc0311

I so hope you get to use those tickets. To be able to watch a outdoor game would be the best!! We have had the best seasons in a while since the last lock-out. Great young players to watch. Carolina has one of the best teams (on paper) I have ever seen. To say I was excited for the season is an understatment.

Hope all you guys & gals find your fix if the season is lost. I once watched ( back in 90's) Jeremy Roenick when he was hurt and not playing. Come out in a suit, he was going to do a tv spot. He ended up standing there for the rest of the game as fans lined up behind him for autograph's. The line went up into the stands, I thought" I have never ever seen any other player, from any other sport stand and do that for their fans, without being paid.

The New NHL & NHLPA are giving a dis-service to the ones who made the game what it is. Their taking away the integrity of the sport and turning into pure $$$$$$$$$. It's all about the Benjamins.

posted on Sep, 17 2012 @ 04:46 PM
link   

Most NHL players are extremely humble and have had to work hard to get where they are. I got to see the outdoor college game last year. U-M vs Mich State at the Big House. It was awsome. Cold as hell but very cool thing to see. I lived in Carolina for a few years and was down there in 06' when they won the Cup. I always like when they get to play Detroit.

posted on Sep, 17 2012 @ 06:52 PM
link   
reply to post by usmc0311

I read a stat once about the most winningest teams in the NHL from the mid 90's to the mid 2000"s. They ranked Detroit, Carolina, Anaheim, I still have'nt gotten over the whooping Detroit put on Carolina in 02 finals. Hope for us fans they get that CBA worked out and get on with the game.

top topics

join