It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Obama can be sued over insulting film: Iran official

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Sep, 16 2012 @ 09:10 PM
link   
Tough talk from Iran is nothing new. The question is "Will they follow through?" or are they throwing this thought out there to encourage other countries to file suit, perhaps as a bloc?
www.presstv.ir...

“A complaint could be filed with US courts against Obama for his violation of articles 18 and 27 of the International Covenant on Civil and Political Rights (ICCPR) calling for respect of faiths,” Javad Mohammadi, the deputy head of the Supreme Council of Cultural Revolution (SCCR), said on Sunday.

So how does this resolution apply to this movie and the violent response it has drawn?

U.N. Adopts ‘Religious Intolerance’ Resolution Championed by Obama Administration (12.20.2011)
cnsnews.com...

And in the worst cases, those of “incitement to imminent violence” based on religion, the resolution calls on countries to implement “measures to criminalize” such behavior.

Is this going to impact our freedom of speech?
I have a feeling this could lead to a pacification of the Middle East and rile things up in the States if it happens.

posted on Sep, 16 2012 @ 09:23 PM
link   
All Obama has to do is present the film maker to be tried in international court.

This is a messy situation and unfortunately the people involved are all irrational.

The film maker is a moron for making it in the first place.

The people reacting over it are just as moronic for failing to see that they are being played.

Can anyone else see the Koni parallels?

posted on Sep, 16 2012 @ 09:26 PM
link   
reply to post by sad_eyed_lady

Good Luck, and stand in line.

Doesn't Obama get sued daily, as it is?

posted on Sep, 16 2012 @ 09:49 PM
link   

Originally posted by sad_eyed_lady
Tough talk from Iran is nothing new. The question is "Will they follow through?" or are they throwing this thought out there to encourage other countries to file suit, perhaps as a bloc?
www.presstv.ir...

“A complaint could be filed with US courts against Obama for his violation of articles 18 and 27 of the International Covenant on Civil and Political Rights (ICCPR) calling for respect of faiths,” Javad Mohammadi, the deputy head of the Supreme Council of Cultural Revolution (SCCR), said on Sunday.

So how does this resolution apply to this movie and the violent response it has drawn?

U.N. Adopts ‘Religious Intolerance’ Resolution Championed by Obama Administration (12.20.2011)
cnsnews.com...

And in the worst cases, those of “incitement to imminent violence” based on religion, the resolution calls on countries to implement “measures to criminalize” such behavior.

Is this going to impact our freedom of speech?
I have a feeling this could lead to a pacification of the Middle East and rile things up in the States if it happens.

Let them come and try and waste their time.

The film didn't incite any violence, the Muslims who committed the violence incited the violence. If this is going to be tried in a US court, it will fail badly. They would have to prove the the content of the film directly forced those people to act on hate, thus taking away their free will. It cannot be done.

We could also counter sue them for the deaths of the 4 embassy staff. I don't think they want that.

I "call on Muslims to implement “measures to criminalize” such behavior as those by the Extremist Muslims who committed the violence" They want to play, we can play. Sadly, this is not a game and it's not a trial they can win.
edit on 16-9-2012 by JohnPhoenix because: sp

posted on Sep, 16 2012 @ 09:59 PM
link   

Originally posted by OccamAssassin
All Obama has to do is present the film maker to be tried in international court.

This is a messy situation and unfortunately the people involved are all irrational.

The film maker is a moron for making it in the first place.

The people reacting over it are just as moronic for failing to see that they are being played.

Can anyone else see the Koni parallels?

Looks likes it's the prez that takes the heat according to this Senior Iranian official(from the PressTV article)

The US government is a signatory to this covenant and has to respect it. Therefore, an individual or an NGO (non-governmental organization) can file a lawsuit against the president of the country for breach of the covenant, he added.

Yes, presenting the film maker to any international court could nip this in the bud. This action may be problematic as there is a great possibility his head will roll and many people feel what he did is acceptable and should be protected by our First Amendment freedom of speech rights.

posted on Sep, 16 2012 @ 10:03 PM
link   
Is this just the beginning of the destruction of the constitution... isn't obama and clinton working on an international bill to disarm all people..

NWO>>>>>>>

posted on Sep, 16 2012 @ 10:30 PM
link   
Throwing this on the U.S. courts system could be one big mess if this resolution conflicts with the 1st Admendment Freedom of Speech rights.

Again,

(my bold)

cnsnews.com...

posted on Sep, 16 2012 @ 10:38 PM
link   
Iran is considered a founding member of the UN. So they themselves, would be held to the same articles....no??? What, is this?

Articles 18 and 27 of the International Covenant on Civil and Political Rights (ICCPR) calling for respect of faiths,”

www.patheos.com...

According to the American Center for Law and Justice, more than 280 Iranian Christians were arrested for practicing their faith in the first half of 2011. Others have documented previous cases of arrest and persecution from the last decade.

You either honor the law or you don't, but you don't get to enforce another entity to honor a law you yourself don't uphold. That's like saying, do as I say, not as I do....it just doesn't work with governments.

posted on Sep, 16 2012 @ 10:43 PM
link   
reply to post by Gridrebel

Thank you. Pot calling kettle black and they know it. This is just more # and it won't stick to the wall.

posted on Sep, 17 2012 @ 12:41 AM
link   

Dear sad_eyed_lady,

If it's any consolation, albeit a small one, this UN business is a resolution, not a treaty. So it doesn't have the same force as a treaty, and a treaty is trumped by the Constitution.

My fear isn't the courts, it's that some people of Middle-Eastern descent will have a talk with him about the necessity of repentance, they will then leave after the poor sap has been suicided.

With respect,
Charles1952

edit on 17-9-2012 by charles1952 because: a little clean up.

posted on Sep, 17 2012 @ 07:40 AM
link   
Oh my God this is so stupid. Do I really share DNA with these people?

Why do these middle eastern nations have a form of Islam that reminds me of someone with "short man" syndrome?
edit on 17-9-2012 by bigfatfurrytexan because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 17 2012 @ 07:46 AM
link   

:shk: This just proves that Iran officials are idiots.
No .. Obama can't be sued. He had nothing to do with it.
AND .. the fella that made the film didn't break any laws.
So he can't be sued either.

NO. The film maker didn't break any laws. He was exercising his rights to free speech and opinion in the USA. And his film stated that Muhammad had sex with kids ... which is true. You can't hand over an American citizen for simply making a truthful yet crappy film.

posted on Sep, 17 2012 @ 08:54 AM
link   
I know this is off topic but I have created a facebook page similar in content to Brandon Raub to see if I get any authoritative response. Please send your friend requests to Barack Obromney that is me. I know many of you (myself included) dont like facebook but I would appriciate the help.

posted on Sep, 17 2012 @ 09:43 AM
link   
Faiths only get respect when they afford it themselves.

Case dismissed!

posted on Sep, 17 2012 @ 09:45 AM
link   
reply to post by OccamAssassin

The director was ignorant, yes. But nothing he did was against any laws. To allow him to be tried in international court would be to throw freedom of speech out the window, as sick of a situation this is. Does this guy deserve a good boot meeting? Absolutely! But no laws were broken.

posted on Sep, 17 2012 @ 10:03 AM
link   

Originally posted by FlyersFan

:shk: This just proves that Iran officials are idiots.
No .. Obama can't be sued. He had nothing to do with it.
AND .. the fella that made the film didn't break any laws.
So he can't be sued either.

NO. The film maker didn't break any laws. He was exercising his rights to free speech and opinion in the USA. And his film stated that Muhammad had sex with kids ... which is true. You can't hand over an American citizen for simply making a truthful yet crappy film.

All very true!

But you have to admit, what kind of poetic justice would it be if Obama or his administration was sued using a bill that they were championing.......

posted on Sep, 17 2012 @ 10:08 AM
link   

How? He has no involvement in this film so how could he be prosecuted?

Does that mean Ayatollahs can be prosecuted for crazy fundamentalists burning and storming embassies? I was offended by U-571 which seemed to claim all the glory for the USA regarding the capture of the Enigma machine......does this mean i could sue Obama for that too?
And as for the Italian Job remake - deeply offended!

What a load of twaddle........(this action rather than your thread, as i just realised i wasn't that clear!).

posted on Sep, 17 2012 @ 10:16 AM
link   
What a crock of poo!

Obama did not make the film or have anything to do with it.

The Muslims need to get over this infantile attitude that they can be so upset over anything that they choose to construe as an insult to their religion.

Stop whining and grow up.

posted on Sep, 17 2012 @ 05:19 PM
link   
reply to post by ManBehindTheMask

Ironic twist, yes, but it sacrifices US Sovereignty in the process. Not worth it as much as I dislike O.

posted on Sep, 17 2012 @ 05:56 PM
link   
The video is funnier then funny. The guy that made it should sue Obama . i don't what for but why not. Honestly it makes me mad that people in this country want to see him arrested. If you don't like it don't watch it. Amazing how that would have solved all this. Poor guy will end up in jail just so Obama doesn't have to admitt this was a terroist attck and once again he dropped the ball and maybe could have prevented it.

<<   2 >>

join