It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Scientists Fear Less than 100 Adult Cod Fish left in North Sea - OVERFISHING!!!

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Sep, 16 2012 @ 12:24 PM
link   

Scientists fear for cod stocks as study reveals there are just 100 adult fish in the North Sea

www.dailymail.co.uk...

There are fewer than 100 adult cod in the North Sea because of decades of overfishing, it was revealed today.

The dwindling numbers raise fears for future stocks because cod, which can live as long as 25 years and grow to 6ft, become more fertile as they age.

Fishermen did not catch a single cod over the age of 13 last year, according to a study of sea ports across Europe.

The lower life expectancy meant a lower birth rate and a faster decline, warn scientists. Now they want North Sea quotas to be slashed so numbers can be restored.

This is pretty sad to hear. When seas should be abundant in wildlife (fish), the overfishing of the seas due to [my guess] a rising human population, the sea animals are slowly dying off.

What is the world coming too? And when will humanity realize we have over-conquered the seas and it has come now to find alternative sources.

The viscous cycle of prey vs predator.

edit on 16-9-2012 by Skywatcher2011 because: added picture

edit on Sun Sep 16 2012 by DontTreadOnMe because: IMPORTANT: Using Content From Other Websites on ATS

posted on Sep, 16 2012 @ 12:28 PM
link   
So does this mean Highliner fish sticks, or any other fish isn't cod? Farmed maybe?

posted on Sep, 16 2012 @ 12:31 PM
link   
I just literally caught four of them in the Homer Spit last weekend, chopped them in half and and used them as halibut bait, freezer full now. What for dinner, ?? Lol. It will happen no matter what, Cod tastes horrible anyhow.

So more like.... Less than 96 cod in the north sea
edit on 16-9-2012 by AK907ICECOLD because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 16 2012 @ 12:32 PM
link   
reply to post by dl2oneThe2nd

You would think that a decrease in fish of one species would cause an import of another fish from another country. This would mean an increase of fishing of that particular fish, thus putting an increased stress of the that fish species.

The prey vs predator cycle repeats, and soon you will find over-fishing of everything.

posted on Sep, 16 2012 @ 12:37 PM
link   
100 left in the north sea due to overfishing...em...am i supposed to of been born yesterday to be able to consume such BS...

stop polluting the seas.......lets hold hands and sing kumbaya....

posted on Sep, 16 2012 @ 12:48 PM
link   
reply to post by Skywatcher2011

The planet has served as a prison for the criminally insane, for millennia. They took over the planet and will run it into destruction because that is what they are good at. Where will these problem souls, be put next.

posted on Sep, 16 2012 @ 01:07 PM
link   
Well, it's really just common sense that if the oceans are over-fished, there will eventually be none left. Fishermen know this more than anyone, but still they continue.

I realise they have to make a living which is why they continue, but when there are no fish left in the oceans, what will they do then?

They are over-fishing themselves out of a job.

Maybe it is time for them to learn another trade.

posted on Sep, 16 2012 @ 01:08 PM
link   
And to Add to your BS story from these "scienctist" at least 100cod are Being caught at least every day in just the Spit alone each day for this past season, the relieablility of this post is horribly wrong unless your talking Atlantic, but go figure a post that mentions north sea, Im on planet earth where there are many Cod, WTF are you and where are they getting these numbers, I catch too much cod, make a thread about depleting halibut then you may get my attention
edit on 16-9-2012 by AK907ICECOLD because: Frkn iPhone n small buttons. LMAO

posted on Sep, 16 2012 @ 01:12 PM
link   
reply to post by doobydoll

Don't worry, the govmt with shorthy provide with that evil gomatso or whtevr and farm them, you have nothing to worry about

posted on Sep, 16 2012 @ 01:14 PM
link   
reply to post by AK907ICECOLD

they must have missed counting the four you caught. I wonder how they get them all to line up and behave so that they can be counted? lol scientists.

posted on Sep, 16 2012 @ 01:22 PM
link   

The story isn't saying there are only 100 Cod left, if the people doing the study thought that they would hardly suggest that the quota be bought down to 25,600 tons. 25,600 tons Is still a lot of cod.

What they are saying is that the number surviving to their full life span is extremely low and that fewer need to be caught in order to address that

posted on Sep, 16 2012 @ 02:05 PM
link   

Originally posted by AK907ICECOLD
reply to post by doobydoll

Don't worry, the govmt with shorthy provide with that evil gomatso or whtevr and farm them, you have nothing to worry about

I have eaten fish once in 10 years, and I am not a fisherman either, so I'm not worried in that context.

I'm concerned about the balance of nature in our oceans. Imbalance causes problems with the whole planet, and this affects all life on this rock.

Humans always have to rape everything to destruction and extinction, never in moderation or balance, and always take more than they need.

So, when the fishermen start complaining that they can't live on the new drastically reduced fishing quota's, we should remind them that; they should have saved the cash from their years of over-fishing for this very situation, which they themselves caused.

posted on Sep, 16 2012 @ 02:27 PM
link   

You lucky dog.. I am jealous... Caught some halibut when I visited Alaska many years ago.. best fish I ever ate! ... ;-]

posted on Sep, 16 2012 @ 06:15 PM
link   
reply to post by davespanners

I totally agree with you, I'm more worried about halibut! All you catch these days in Katchamac bay is chickens, it's a very sad concept, I just wanted to throw in a bit of humor.

posted on Sep, 16 2012 @ 06:45 PM
link   
Get used to Solent-Green. There seems to be a never ending supply of it's main ingredient.

Too bad, that whatever the source of our food supply, it will be considered toxic waste, like the rest of the planet.

posted on Sep, 17 2012 @ 03:38 PM
link   
Daily Mail = UK = Atlantic North Sea ... thought you should know.

As someone else mentioned why drive yourself out of a livelihood, this is exactly what the European fishermen are doing to themselves. Cant come soon enough, then we might stop hearing them bitch about their quotas.

posted on Sep, 30 2012 @ 06:04 AM
link   
The BBC have an explanation of the original article and show that there are are more like 21,000,000 adult cod in the North Sea. Not much of a difference really

North Sea cod: Is it true there are only 100 left?

top topics

join