It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Revealed: inside story of US envoy

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Sep, 16 2012 @ 03:31 AM
link   

Revealed: inside story of US envoy

www.marklevinshow.com

The killings of the US ambassador to Libya and three of his staff were likely to have been the result of a serious and continuing security breach, The Independent can reveal.

American officials believe the attack was planned, but Chris Stevens had been back in the country only a short while and the details of his visit to Benghazi, where he and his staff died, were meant to be confidential.
(visit the link for the full news article)
The US administration is now facing a crisis in Libya. Sensitive documents have gone missing from the consulate in Benghazi and the supposedly secret location of the "safe house" in the city, where the staff had retreated, came under sustained mortar attack. Other such refuges across the country are no longer deemed "safe".

Some of the missing papers from the consulate are said to list names of Libyans who are working with Americans, putting them potentially at risk from extremist groups, while some of the other documents are said to relate to oil contracts.

Related News Links:

edit on 9/16/12 by awcgs because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 16 2012 @ 03:31 AM
link   
Maybe this has been posted maybe not but I feel its worth posting a second time...I think this story tells it all... our government is corrupt. ...any one feel the same? If this can happen and the president gives no security to any officials, we will not get any at home. this is a smoke screen and for learning purposes. This is a police state! we are giving away our freedoms. We tend to listen to our news cast for comfort and every channel is different . we live in a oxymoron world, and I believe that the truth is what you search for, not what the news leads us to believe. believe what the world wants you to and you will be no better tomorrow than you were yesterday. Today you find your own truth and you wont need the Goverment to warn you. YOU WILL KNOW.

www.marklevinshow.com
(visit the link for the full news article)

CX

posted on Sep, 16 2012 @ 03:47 AM
link   
That link is gone now.....thanks for posting this though.

Last week a news report here in the UK was talking about this, they said that the fact that they were found in the supposedly secret safe house, which apparently is up to a mile, showed that there was an info leak from within the staff.

CX.

posted on Sep, 16 2012 @ 05:19 AM
link   
A leak is highly probable.

Of course - so, too, is the possibility that proper OPSEC protocols were not being followed and led to the envoy and his staff revealing far too much about the embassy operations.

If the safe-house had been used relatively recently or a contract inadvertently exposed due to failure to follow proper material destruction protocols - that could also have led to the same effect.

It can be difficult to tell - but the most expedient source and most likely for the lesser organized extreme groups would be inside informants.

I think this story tells it all... our government is corrupt.

. . . While I'm not necessarily going to disagree that our government has issues with corruption... I don't particularly see the relevance to this issue.

If this can happen and the president gives no security to any officials, we will not get any at home.

I don't think I follow you on this point. What do you mean: "the President gives no security to any officials?" - The man had security personnel assigned to him. Unfortunately - they were not prepared to handle mortar fire and a coordinated platoon sized assault.

To be fair - assigning the type of security that can handle that to every diplomat would practically require an entire Marine Battalion assigned to every diplomat (staying in the same country). Often - the best defense is a low profile and diplomacy.

This is a police state!

We go from not providing any security to saying that this country is out of control with security.

Son, have you ever been to a country known as South Korea?

It's a pretty interesting place. Almost every president has been fired or committed suicide under charges of corruption (true or not - it's the way the people treat their president). However - what Americans would absolutely flip a lid over - is that you have to register for protests/demonstrations. You register for a certain time, location, and number of people. The police show up one-for-one with the registered number of protesters. Additional people are turned away, and anyone demonstrating after the allotted time is placed under arrest.

Usually - only a fraction of the registered number shows up - so you have a rather entertaining scene where 50 protesters are out dancing around - doing their college graduation project (you have to participate in a demonstration as part of higher education, there) - and there's like 800 police in riot gear milling about, meditating, or whatever.

That's so much closer to a police state than the U.S. can -possibly- be (you'd start a riot simply by putting one police officer in the area for every four demonstrators). Yet no one's rights get trampled on there (at least when it comes to demonstrations); and that # doesn't get out of hand.

So the "America IS a police state!" line is rather humorous to me. Do we have errors in our law enforcement system, legal systems, etc? Of course.

The problem with America is that too many people think they should be able to use the government to tell you how to live. It's not "the politicians" that want to control every aspect of your life so much as it is the people who want to ban things they don't like - or change things to better suit themselves.

America isn't a police state. It's an ideological battleground where we use the laws to subjugate each other into what we believe to be the correct or ideal lifestyle.

we live in a oxymoron world, and I believe that the truth is what you search for,

The truth is a subjective concept.

Whatever you're looking for, you won't really give up until you find it. While you may say: "I am looking for the truth" - you are really looking for something to confirm what you have faith is accurate.

Very rarely does anyone search with the genuine intent of discovering the most accurate course of events possible. They generally search for things that support their concept of what is true and what is false.

believe what the world wants you to and you will be no better tomorrow than you were yesterday. Today you find your own truth and you wont need the Goverment to warn you. YOU WILL KNOW.

To me - you are part of this thing called "the world." And you're wanting me to believe that I should find 'my own' truth and not believe other outside factors.... but you are an outside factor.

The world doesn't have one set thing it wants you to believe. People, places, cultures - all are similar, but different and often have individual motivations for anything.

posted on Sep, 16 2012 @ 06:13 AM
link   
reply to post by Aim64C

Just want to say, and I think I may have said it before, I always enjoy seeing your posts. It's a breath of fresh air in an atmosphere that be quite toxic sometime.

You pretty much said what needs to be said. Could this have been an inside job? Yep. Could someone in the know have said too much inadvertantly while having sex with a local girl? Yep. Leaks are not always sinister in nature, sometimes it's the result of trusting the wrong person.

Will we ever know all the details? Maybe not. Something tells me even if they were given you might not believe them anyway.
edit on 16-9-2012 by OccamsRazor04 because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 16 2012 @ 06:50 AM
link   
I was surprised to see that there was no Blackwater style security presence.

According to this article there was no added security detail, except for Libyan guards surrounding the perimeter of the compound and that the marines are not put in place to be bodyguards

Private security, for example, would not have been a good option for Benghazi, Linvill said, especially when you consider the history of Libya. This is a country whose people just fought a war against a man who used mercenaries to oppress them. Libyans have not forgotten the Italian colonial period of the 1920s and ’30s, when they were put into concentration camps and executed. One of Col. Muammar Gaddafi’s most effective pieces of propaganda was convincing people that all foreign colonial presence is bad. Bringing in Blackwater-style security forces was never on the table in Benghazi, because State believed it essential that the Libyan government see Americans as a welcome presence there—as liberators, if you will.

www.thedailybeast.com...
The article goes into the history of the safe house and how it was relatively new and inadequently secure.

posted on Sep, 16 2012 @ 09:05 AM
link   

Originally posted by CX

That's what happens when people post second hand links instead of the original articles.

Original source: The Independent.

posted on Sep, 16 2012 @ 04:24 PM
link   

Originally posted by awcgs
...I think this story tells it all... our government is corrupt. ...any one feel the same?

I have never thought anything different, I just wish those who have the votes and the power as US citizens did something about it.

posted on Sep, 16 2012 @ 07:31 PM
link   
reply to post by Aim64C

Aim64c, what are you doing here. I think you have made the most lucid post I have ever read on this site, or any other. Now please tell me you both believe we didn't really go to the moon and also that you do believe we went, and that we found alien saucers there, otherwise you will restore my faith in sanity!

posted on Sep, 17 2012 @ 04:19 AM
link   
reply to post by Aim64C

Maybe it's been a while since you have been out to protest (that comes off sounding smirky - not intended), but we are starting to get that here. Lot's of places you have to get a demonstration permit or you get removed.

posted on Sep, 18 2012 @ 05:32 AM
link   

Originally posted by CX

Last week a news report here in the UK was talking about this, they said that the fact that they were found in the supposedly secret safe house, which apparently is up to a mile, showed that there was an info leak from within the staff.

CX.

www.independent.co.uk...
Heres the link.

edit on 9/18/12 by awcgs because: updated link

posted on Sep, 18 2012 @ 07:56 AM
link   
Now it looks like the ambassador was alive when rescue arrived.

Now, what could that mean and what consequences will that have?

top topics

join