It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

FBI Clears Halliburton Crew in Loss of Radioactive Tool

page: 2
<< 1   >>

join
share:

posted on Sep, 16 2012 @ 02:29 PM
link   

Originally posted by BriGuyTM90

Originally posted by Rockpuck
reply to post by BriGuyTM90

Well.... that was anticlimactic? I was really expecting a bright glowing green rod like from the Simpsons.. I imagined it bouncing around town. That just looks like a metal ...... thing.. nothing special, no light effects.. boorrring..

Its not my fault you have a false impression of what nuclear material looks like. I wasn't expecting to see a green glowing rod because I'm aware of the fact that nuclear material doesn't actually glow. With a little research we can find out that the only time there is any kinda of glow involved with radioactive material is when nuclear fuel is undergoing nuclear fission or is newly spent and even then it isn't glowing the material around it is glowing from being ionized. Its called Cherenkov radiation. Also not all nuclear material is nuclear fuel.

www.britannica.com...

So sense the headline never mentions nuclear fuel being involved I don't know why any one would be expecting to see anything glowing. And the article isn't even about the visual description of the item that was lost, I don't know why that was what was important to you. That's like me saying a story about a bus drive kidnapping a bunch of kids is boring because the guy didn't look Otto.

edit on 15-9-2012 by BriGuyTM90 because: (no reason given)

So, I am guessing that the Cherenkov phenomenon is only possible when the fission is submerged in water...since the effect is mentioned as a result of the electrons traveling faster than the speed of light in water (75% slower than in a vacuum)? Enjoyed your responses btw.

posted on Sep, 16 2012 @ 03:19 PM
link   
reply to post by davidmann

It doesn't have to be water, as long as it is a electrically polarized medium and as long a the charged particles are travailing faster that the phase velocity of light in that medium. Its like seeing the water vapor condensation when an objects travels faster than sound. Same concept different mechanism. Glad you liked it

posted on Sep, 19 2012 @ 04:17 AM
link   
I'm still puzzled how such a large tool just up and disappears, while sounding no alarm (literally or figuratively) and I have still yet to see this covered on the news. It Seems to have been swept under the rug, like most news stories that aren't politicians mudslinging. What a strange group the media are.

posted on Oct, 6 2012 @ 03:10 PM
link   
reply to post by BulletsCantSilenceIdeas

Just an update they found the tool.

A small radioactive cylinder that went missing from a Halliburton (HAL) truck last month was found on a Texas road late Thursday, the company said, ending a weeks-long hunt for the device that involved local, state and federal authorities.

Source

posted on Oct, 13 2012 @ 01:28 PM
link   
reply to post by muzzleflash

Read the book "The Radioactive Boy Scout".

new topics

top topics

<< 1   >>

join