It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Governments could block protest video filming via Apple iPhones

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Sep, 14 2012 @ 11:36 PM
link   
Trying to post this from my iPod touch, but this makes my stomach churn with sickness.
Source Reuters

Apple has patented a piece of technology which would allow Government and Police to block transmission of information, including video and photographs, from any public gathering or venue they deem 'sensative', and 'protected from externalties'.

Apple patented the means to transmit an encoded signal to all wireless devices, commanding them to disable recording functions. Those policies would be activated by GPS, and WiFi or mobile base-stations, which would ring-fence ("geofence") around a building or "sensative area" to prevent phone cameras from taking pictures or recording video.

This story was listed on Reuters on 09/05/2012 and I couldn't find it on ATS, and wondered what other Apple product using members think about this! My concerns are plenty, especially with the iPhone5 coming out, and being manufactured in China, I wonder what other silly little stomping of freedom of speech and expression these phones have inside.

On the very same source page above there is a link how "Apple banned a new app called Drones+ that was designed to provide information about executions conducted by unmanned, remote controlled aircraft from high in the sky" but Apple banned that app and for seemingly no good reason.

Perhaps we'll know fifty years from now the impact on society technologies like these will have had, but I'd rather know now, and have shut the 'location services' gps locator in my iPod touch OFF, for good!

posted on Sep, 14 2012 @ 11:41 PM
link   
This is only one of the reasons that when my contract runs out with AT&T, I'm trashing my iphone and going with a droid. God I hate AT&T!

posted on Sep, 14 2012 @ 11:42 PM
link   
Well, good thing Android beats Apple in sales.

But it isn't really surprising , especially after the blocked that drone app.

Protestors will have to bring their own cameras just to make sure thy can get video. ;(
edit on 14-9-2012 by RealSpoke because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 15 2012 @ 06:14 PM
link   
reply to post by RealSpoke

Yes well my android galaxy // has me just as worried, and I've disabled that gps feature too. Maybe I post too early in the morning but I guess this type of news doesn't bother ATS'ers, either that or they're just numb to it by now, with all the bad freedom stealing news as of late

new topics

top topics

join