It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Learning a new Language

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Sep, 14 2012 @ 08:13 AM
link   
Was hoping to seek the wisdom of my fellow members in the experiences of learning a new language.

Can anyone offer any tips to an a good learning method.

Even detailing your past experiences would be much appreciated.

Thanks in advance.

MDDoxs
edit on 14-9-2012 by MDDoxs because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 14 2012 @ 08:20 AM
link   
reply to post by MDDoxs

Can I ask what language you would like to learn as some languages are a lot easier to learn than others....

posted on Sep, 14 2012 @ 08:22 AM
link   
reply to post by davethebear

Native speaking English

Want to learn:

French
Spanish
German (eventually)

I know French and Spanish are somewhat similar.

posted on Sep, 14 2012 @ 08:23 AM
link   
learn in your sleep

posted on Sep, 14 2012 @ 08:25 AM
link   

Originally posted by haven123
learn in your sleep

Funny you say that, i actually considered looking into that because i just lack enough time in my day.

However, from limited research i have done in the past, learning while sleep is not a proven method.

posted on Sep, 14 2012 @ 08:37 AM
link   
The best way, (apart from learning the basics from a book or a class) is to be constantly around it, may it be among people who speak that language, a TV-channel, radio channel..

posted on Sep, 14 2012 @ 08:44 AM
link   

Originally posted by Consequence
The best way, (apart from learning the basics from a book or a class) is to be constantly around it, may it be among people who speak that language, a TV-channel, radio channel..

Yeah, that is totally one way to do it...................a friend of mine from the UK, knew no other language apart from English..........he met a woman from Chile, moved to Chile and a year later was fluent in Spanish and he didn't even pick up one book/tape or have any lessons.......

posted on Sep, 14 2012 @ 08:45 AM
link   
reply to post by Consequence

That's what I've heard from native Spanish people who want to learn English. One guy said listening to English music was very successful for him. But I would probably take a course.

posted on Sep, 14 2012 @ 08:47 AM
link   

Originally posted by Consequence

Unfortunately i lack the opportunity for complete immersion. But i have heard that is a great way to learn, because it forces you to

posted on Sep, 14 2012 @ 08:48 AM
link   

Then its settled i must find a foreign exotic women from a country that speaks my desired language and move there

I wish

posted on Sep, 14 2012 @ 08:49 AM
link   
reply to post by Benevolent Heretic

Again, timing is difficult. If i had a lot of free time i would for sure take a class. Right now, its me at my desk for a hour prior to bed.

posted on Sep, 14 2012 @ 08:49 AM
link   

Originally posted by Benevolent Heretic

That's what I've heard from native Spanish people who want to learn English. One guy said listening to English music was very successful for him. But I would probably take a course.

With a course (in any format, really), you will get the basics (Hello! How are you? Can I have your apple please, because I'm hungrier than you. etc), and you will most likely need the basics to learn more, unless you're going to move to that country.

But in order to really learn the language, nothing else than being surrounded by it will do.
And oh, English is my third language and I do not live in an English speaking country (and never have).
edit on 14-9-2012 by Consequence because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 14 2012 @ 08:55 AM
link   

Originally posted by MDDoxs

Then its settled i must find a foreign exotic women from a country that speaks my desired language and move there

I wish

Yeah MDDoxs, you never know what's around the corner, it may happen tomorrow....................I wish also......haha

posted on Sep, 14 2012 @ 09:02 AM
link   
Radio/web-tv from your target country so you get used to the sounds and also spot the spaces inbetween words and also sentence breaks will make understanding the verbal side much easier, i cant speak more than a few words of greek but due to the mrs listening to it and talking in it to me when she's not happy i can split the words up but its just i need a better buffering system as by the time i've worked out the first word or two they're onto the next paragraph

posted on Sep, 14 2012 @ 09:23 AM
link   
Thanks for the input guys and gals.

Currently i am using Rocket Language Progam. Its pretty easy, and just covers the basics.

Also i have a work book with exercises.

Anyone have an experience learning a different language that they did not grow up with?

posted on Sep, 14 2012 @ 09:50 AM
link   
I have a degree in Romance Language (concentration in Spanish and a minor in Latin). For my degree I also had to take 4 semesters of French, and I also took some beginning Italian and Catalan.

Immersion IS the best way to learn quickly, but it's not always an available method. I have used the "Teach Yourself" series for many of my independant study classes, and they work pretty well for an in-class substitute. It sounds as if you are already using a book and audio set, and I can't imagine there being that much difference between most of those. I'd say you are on the right track!

Even if you can't immerse yourself in the language, you may be able to find a native speaker who would be willing to work with you/tutor you a little bit. Practicing spoken conversation is extremely important in learning a foreign language, and remember that it is definitely one of those things that you "use it or lose it" very rapidly.

If you have any questions or problems, let me know and I would be happy to help you...

Oh, and have fun with it!
A new language can open up whole new worlds!

posted on Sep, 14 2012 @ 10:01 AM
link   
reply to post by DustbowlDebutante

Thanks very much for sharing. I am excited to learn and i know if i can stay motivated I will accomplish my goals quickly.

Maybe i should take some time off and head up to quebec. However sometimes they dont take to kindly to us anglophones

posted on Sep, 14 2012 @ 10:05 AM
link   
Total immersion is the only way. I learned more Spanish on a trip to Argentina than YEARS of schooling, and YEARS living in Miami where there is a lot of Spanish going on.

In Cancun you can always find someone who speaks English. In Argentina, NO ONE speaks English. I had to learn it, so I did.

posted on Sep, 14 2012 @ 10:12 AM
link   
reply to post by MDDoxs

Do you use Skype or a similar service? You could possibly use something like that to practice... But you would need to know someone who speaks which ever language you are wanting to practice.

Another thought that comes to mind is finding a college student at your local university who would practice with you for cheap. If you can find someone who is working towards a language degree it would be mutually beneficial because you get to learn and they are getting to practice what they already know

I actually did this when I was working toward my degree. I tutored a math professor who was auditing some spanish classes (he just wanted to learn something new) and in exchange, he tutored me through my required math classes (my worst subject).

If you get creative, you can find all kinds of help out there

posted on Sep, 14 2012 @ 10:43 AM
link   
reply to post by CaptChaos

If i could justify a reason to move to a certain area to be immersed in a language, i would in a heart beat

Thanks for sharing mate

top topics

<<   2 >>

join