It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Apple unveils new iphone 5 - thinner/lighter/faster......but there is always a catch!

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Sep, 12 2012 @ 04:27 PM
link   

Apple has introduced its new iPhone 5, a lighter, thinner and more powerful version of its iconic mobile device.

"It is an absolute jewel. The software and engineering that went into this product is the most challenging our team has ever taken on," Apple marketing chief Phil Schiller told a packed launch event in San Francisco. The introduction has been among the most keenly anticipated in the tech world, with rumours and leaks over several months about the new device from the biggest company in the sector.

"It is the thinnest iPhone we have ever made, it's the world's thinnest smartphone and weighs just 112 grams," just under four ounces, Schiller said. "It is 20 percent lighter than the iPhone 4S." Schiller said the new iPhone featured a new design aimed to fit in one's hand and worked on the faster mobile internet networks known as LTE. "When you carry your phone it should fit beautifully in your hand, that is just how we designed iPhone 5," he said. "Everything you do looks gorgeous on this beautiful widescreen display."

Analysts expect Apple to sell tens of millions of the new iPhone in the coming months, luring in smartphone buyers who have been waiting to upgrade.

The Guardian
afr.com
Herald Sun

CAVEAT EMPTOR

This long awaited new tracking technology iphone 5 with it's built-in battery technology serves a purpose some of us may not be too aware of.........

Even if a cell phone is completely turned off, law enforcement authorities can still listen in on the conversations that a suspect is having. All that is necessary is for the battery to still be in the cell phone. According to CNET News, the FBI can remotely activate the microphone on your cell phone and listen to whatever you are saying....
The FBI appears to have begun using a novel form of electronic surveillance in criminal investigations: remotely activating a mobile phone's microphone and using it to eavesdrop on nearby conversations. The technique is called a "roving bug," and was approved by top U.S. Department of Justice officials for use against members of a New York organized crime family who were wary of conventional surveillance techniques such as tailing a suspect or wiretapping him.
When you make a telephone call, it is never private. The reality is that the NSA has been monitoring all phone calls for years and years. According to USA Today, the NSA intends "to create a database of every call ever made".... The National Security Agency has been secretly collecting the phone call records of tens of millions of Americans, using data provided by AT&T, Verizon and BellSouth, people with direct knowledge of the arrangement told USA TODAY

The American Dream

Similar but limited tracking technology such as Spy Bubble allows for individuals to track their "cheating partners' every move" including remote downloads of SMS messages, emails and recorded conversations.

Having access to individuals within the Law enforcement services, take the following story as personal testimony.

A friend whom is in the upper echelons of the legal game and I regularly meet to discuss topics of mutual interest. This individual will simply refuse to even utter a word unless both our phone(s) are at least 30m away - preferably housed within a sealed compartment. This individual is by no means a conspiracy minded individual but is ACUTELY aware of the remote tracking and microphone activation technology available - because this individual uses the same technology on others as deemed necessary and it does not matter if your phone is on or off or even if your battery is dead - as long as it is in the phone!

Just remember, that little chip in your passport, for instance, holds a vast amount of data, requires no power source and can be scanned from a distance - what then do you suppose your phone can hold by way of data - to be accessed remotely - and even if the battery is dead now remember that it was at one stage fully charged up!!!
link to thread

Just thought I'd give you a heads up.........more discussed about these and other little "extras" on ATS here.
edit on 12-9-2012 by Sublimecraft because: edited links

posted on Sep, 12 2012 @ 04:30 PM
link   
The CATCH?
They will try to keep their "law suit" trend for as long as they feel like it until someone puts them in their place.

SAMSUNG is already trying to suit Apple for the LTE technology and so many other companies for their "not so innovative" latest gadgets!

posted on Sep, 12 2012 @ 04:33 PM
link   
reply to post by Sublimecraft

I don't like smart phones for just that very reason, but I still have a cell phone..

I bet they could hack into mine just as easy.. It has a camera and a mic on it too. It has a unique signal that could be tracked..

It costs lots of money to invent and place bugs, why not just get the people to pay for all the cost and keep the bugs with them on purpose?

Anything that is digital and has an antenna or a direct line is vulnerable to the same exact tactics. For instance cable boxes are now produced by samsung and cisco. These are wireless and wired communication companies. I havew looked into these boxes and they are not just serving one function of giving me cable. The amount of heat they produce on the opposite side from the power converter is a dead giveaway for some type of radio or internet communication.

heh.. This is not the life I signed up for. gah.
edit on 9/12/2012 by Dustytoad because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 12 2012 @ 04:40 PM
link   

Originally posted by Dustytoad

This is how I feel but as long as we are all sitting on our asses I'm afraid things are only going to get worse, until we are literally living a 1984 V for Vendetta life (actually I think we're pretty much there now).

posted on Sep, 12 2012 @ 04:44 PM
link   
I got an iPhone 4 and it's a piece of garbage (I know, I should have gotten an Android, lol). I read all the articles you've posted and I need more specs other than the size and weight. How about the processor speed, camera size, any OS specs, etc. or is the new iPhone 5 just a bigger, lighter version of the iPhone 4s?

posted on Sep, 12 2012 @ 04:48 PM
link   
reply to post by Dustytoad

Watch them set up those cable boxes. Comcast techs use a freakin droid. Also....the heat is created from mpeg decoding and decryption of highly encrypted signals......... And if you have a dvr, its a complete computer inside it.....

posted on Sep, 12 2012 @ 04:48 PM
link   
Good to see that the iphone is catching up to the Androids that already had 4g lte.

IMO , I think the big benefit about the iphone is its stupidlicity. You click enough times and you end up where you want to be with its limited features.

I purchased the last new Iphone and returned it for the Galaxy note. Couldn't be happier.

IMO Iphone might have revolutionized the phone market but they are now lagging behind Android. It appears to me that Android typically utilizes newer technology ahead of Apple. Android has been utilizing 4g LTE for at least a year now if I'm not mistaken and its a big deal for the so called revolutionary Iphone?

IMO Iphone is an example of an extremely successful marketing campaign. The consumers appear to be paying more for less because of the hype.

However, I would be very surprised if Android doesn't have the same open port for 3 letter alphabet agencies to utilize. Especially, since Google owns Android.

edit on 12-9-2012 by interupt42 because: (no reason given)

edit on 12-9-2012 by interupt42 because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 12 2012 @ 04:57 PM
link   
reply to post by interupt42

Whether or not Google is cooperating with quasi government agencies remains to be seen but you can rest assured they have complete access to any and all information going through your android devices.

posted on Sep, 12 2012 @ 05:11 PM
link   
I admit I won't purchase another Apple phone. The reason isn't because of anything stated in the OP though.

Pretty simple: I'm not a fan of their proprietary approach.

example: I had a 3GS at one time and accidentally got it wet. The first thing you should do in that case it IMMEDIATELY turn off your phone and then remove the battery. The problem with that though, is that iPhones require you to turn the phone ON before you can turn it off! (you have to hit the power button which will bring it out of sleep, and then swipe the screen to turn it off!)

Also, the battery in an iPhone is a PITA to remove. It's not as simple as just removing a cover... which is also a pain in the arse because it's held on by screws the size of a grain of sand

Also, NO REMOVABLE STORAGE!

iPhones hold all your data (other than contacts) on a hard drive which you can't remove. Damage your phone or it won't charge? Too bad so sad. Your stuff is lost forever.

Apple needs to wake up and smell the competition. Their proprietary BS way of doing things is going to bury them. It already is.

oh and I didn't even mention their sh!@#Y proprietary charging cable!

It's good to see some better options emerging. Even a few years ago, there weren't.

posted on Sep, 12 2012 @ 05:32 PM
link   
That's why I hate ipods, you can't even drag and drop your files in Windows Explorer, you have to use their software, and do everything just the way they want you to. But many of the things they do make little sense to longtime pc users or software developers that are actually interested in giving you customizable functionality.

posted on Sep, 12 2012 @ 08:02 PM
link   

Originally posted by jeantherapy
That's why I hate ipods, you can't even drag and drop your files in Windows Explorer, you have to use their software, and do everything just the way they want you to. But many of the things they do make little sense to longtime pc users or software developers that are actually interested in giving you customizable functionality.

That is simply not true.

You have VARIOUS software programs that allow you to do this, outside of iTunes.

Ephpod LINK
Helium Music Manager LINK
Media Monkey LINK

...to name a few.
edit on 12-9-2012 by phantomjack because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 13 2012 @ 12:22 AM
link   

Originally posted by phantomjack

Originally posted by jeantherapy

That is simply not true.

You have VARIOUS software programs that allow you to do this, outside of iTunes.

Ephpod LINK
Helium Music Manager LINK
Media Monkey LINK

...to name a few.
edit on 12-9-2012 by phantomjack because: (no reason given)

I said I wanted to drag and drop with Windows, browsing the device like any other plug and play device. You ever browse an iPod as if it were a hard drive? All the music you put on it shows up garbled, spread across folders which do not represent albums. And the way they index these files makes them susceptible to corruption. Sometimes I even think Apple purposely programs bugs and things into iTunes for Windows to punish people for not using their computers, too.

posted on Sep, 13 2012 @ 06:07 AM
link   
Before we deploy we are briefed about the risks of mobile phones OR ANY MOBILE DEVICE ( think 3G iPad )
Most countries don't allow their troops to take mobile phones
We are told how pakistan and china can :-
Listen in to your phone calls
Access the camera for stills and video
Access your contact list/phone book
Stream your display
Check software used
See your texts
And see your recent calls, these are just the ones I can remember off the top of my head

All with the power off, even in "aircraft mode"
We can even turn your phone on and off remotely

So if they can do that to us
What do you think your own gov can do to you

Something to ponder over
Have any of you ever sent your phone to one of these mail company's for cash ?

Wanna guess where some of those phones end up ?
It's nowhere nice
And once any remaining usefull data is taken from the phone it ends it's life as the receiver on a IED

We find the IED's, and exploit them for any intel,
and trace the phones history by serial numbers on the phone and components

You get $$
Someone gets blown up ( and you may find yourself subject to identity theft )

edit on 13-9-2012 by Neocrusader because: Corrected

posted on Sep, 13 2012 @ 10:47 AM
link   
Our phones are getting smaller, thinner, and smarter...

Our people are getting bigger, fatter, and dumber...

Is this the future we envisioned for ourselves? I like useful technology as much as the next person, but not at the cost of our physical independence and intellectual integrity. If this is what we're like now because of how technology takes care of us, imagine our great grand children.

Wall-E, anyone?
edit on 13-9-2012 by AfterInfinity because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 13 2012 @ 04:04 PM
link   

Originally posted by Neocrusader

You get $$
Someone gets blown up ( and you may find yourself subject to identity theft )

edit on 13-9-2012 by Neocrusader because: Corrected

When we pay our taxes little children overseas get blown up because the grown ups can't settle their arguments in an intelligent fashion.

posted on Sep, 13 2012 @ 05:00 PM
link   
reply to post by jeantherapy

Agreed
Everyone's to blame in one way or another, just thought I'd point out something not many know

posted on Sep, 20 2012 @ 05:50 AM
link   

Ohh but it is.

Approximately 300, 000 years ago you decided to come here, to be 'thrown behind the curtain' into this wonderful game we like to call Earth.

posted on Sep, 21 2012 @ 08:17 AM
link   
You might think that just removing the battery is enough. Most newer phones starting about 5 years ago have another hidden battery that you cannot access unless your pull the entire phone apart. I decided to take an old V710 apart to see what was inside. To be honest I was shocked at what I found.

posted on Sep, 24 2012 @ 01:35 AM
link   

Originally posted by Kluute

Ohh but it is.

Approximately 300, 000 years ago you decided to come here, to be 'thrown behind the curtain' into this wonderful game we like to call Earth.

Why??

I don't want to do this.
How sublime must it all be?

Seriously, I must be here for something, but what the F ??
edit on 9/24/2012 by Dustytoad because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 24 2012 @ 02:05 AM
link   
Is it presumptious to assume we are decades behind the technology thats being tucked under our noses. People get really REALLY excited about these 'upgrades' and really its just another phone. Aren't we due to break from conventional phone technology? Where are my sleek multi=layer sliding all in one computer/phone/E-readers? I believe capitolism is ritualistically slowing down our economic structure and physical well being.

I would love to be smart enough to take on new breaking edge tech to the world but why give people the future when they can have the present over and over again....applaud it, and then pay for it.

I hate (actually i dont) to always bring Tesla into everything but the genius knows no bounds: and i quote

“If the genius of invention were to reveal tomorrow the secret of immortality, of eternal beauty and youth, for which all humanity is aching, the same inexorable agents which prevent a mass from changing suddenly its velocity would likewise resist the force of the new knowledge until time gradually modifies human thought.”

Take a minute to chew on that quote. No preservatives i promise!

Were all just bound to a failing system. A system that has us all pre-conditioned to follow a set of rules. And it is these rules that manipulate mankind into thinking he or she is free to do with his or her life as they please. But in reality...At this point in time, were all owned.

Unfortunately we can't all go off the grid
edit on 24-9-2012 by Whatifitdidhappen because: (no reason given)

top topics

join