It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Engineers build Raspberry Pi supercomputer

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Sep, 11 2012 @ 08:40 PM
link   
how cool is that average home users can now build their very own super computers?

Professor Cox comments: "As soon as we were able to source sufficient Raspberry Pi computers we wanted to see if it was possible to link them together into a supercomputer. We installed and built all of the necessary software on the Pi starting from a standard Debian Wheezy system image and we have published a guide so you can build your own supercomputer."

Read more at: phys.org...

using lego and rabsbery PI compunter boards a coupla scientist created an inexpensive super computer and published the results so you can build one too.

brings a new meaning to the phrase computer geek

The racking was built using Lego with a design developed by Simon and James, who has also been testing the Raspberry Pi by programming it using free computer programming software Python and Scratch over the summer. The machine, named "Iridis-Pi" after the University's Iridis supercomputer, runs off a single 13 Amp mains socket and uses MPI (Message Passing Interface) to communicate between nodes using Ethernet. The whole system cost under £2,500 (excluding switches) and has a total of 64 processors and 1Tb of memory (16Gb SD cards for each Raspberry Pi)

Read more at: phys.org...

phys.org...

xploder
edit on 11-9-2012 by XPLodER because: spelling

edit on 11-9-2012 by XPLodER because: (no reason given)

edit on 11-9-2012 by XPLodER because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 11 2012 @ 09:38 PM
link   
The system cost about $2500 which is hardly within reach of most households. I doubt that too many mechanics or cashiers will be building one. Even if they understood programming and Ethernet with computer sharing how many need a terabyte of processing speed to check e-mails or post on Fagbook?

It is a good direction to take for the computer geek that wants more control over operating systems and hardware development. Maybe it will allow more computer guys to understand the basics better.

posted on Sep, 11 2012 @ 09:47 PM
link   
Cool Experiment. You can get a Pi for $25 and build your own computer. Add them together and get a supercomputer. Wish I had toys like that growing up.

posted on Sep, 11 2012 @ 10:03 PM
link   
I own two of the 35$ Raspberry Pi's. I recommend them highly to anyone looking to learn programming or linux. Or, you can just turn one into a media center using Raspbmc,ect. They work well as a portable development platform too. You can program both Arduino, and the Parallax Propeller on it as well.

2500$ is cheaper than a Mac laptop in some cases. So it seems cheap if you ask me.
edit on 9/11/2012 by Metatronin because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 11 2012 @ 10:04 PM
link   
reply to post by XPLodER

Way cool. I'm going to show this to one of my professors tomorrow. It's right up his alley!

I was thinking about building a supercomputer recently. Not sure what I will use it for, but it's a SUPERCOMPUTER. I'll find some use for it lol. Maybe I can use it to fulfill my dream of developing a better A.I. system...

top topics

join