It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Mental Health in the US not taken seriously

page: 2
<< 1   >>

join
share:

posted on Sep, 12 2012 @ 02:29 PM
link   
I believe that all mental problems are the manifestations of anxiety and stress.Our minds need to find an outlet and a way of dealing with anxiety and stress, I believe mental problems are our brains way of trying to diffuse and deal with stress and anxiety.

posted on Sep, 14 2012 @ 10:36 AM
link   
reply to post by wantsome

posted on Sep, 17 2012 @ 04:03 AM
link   

Originally posted by Tardacus
I believe that all mental problems are the manifestations of anxiety and stress.Our minds need to find an outlet and a way of dealing with anxiety and stress, I believe mental problems are our brains way of trying to diffuse and deal with stress and anxiety.
Schizophrenia is more then just a psychological disorder brought on by anxiety or stress. Schizophrenia is categorized as a neurobiological disorder. There are physical changes that take place within the brain. MRI studies have shown schizophrenics brains loose up to a 1/4 of their grey matter. Schizophrenia has also been proven to cause brain damage. The mind can develop physical defects that causes it to malfunction. These changes can be brought on by our genetic make up. In the same way someones pancreas can malfunction and they get diabetes the mind can develop malfunctions too.

UCLA did a study on schizophrenia a couple of years ago. For the first time they saw schizophrenia develop through MRI. They took people that were healthy at the time but had a family history of schizophrenia. They witnessed schizophrenia develop in these people. Before the illnesses they had seemingly healthy brains. Once the illness triggered it started at the back of the brain near the brain stem and in their words "spread like a wild fire".

posted on Oct, 4 2012 @ 06:13 PM
link   
Detroit sounds awesome!

Mental institutions are a tool by the government, to maintain the status quo. You see, they practically starve you of oxygen, and all it takes is about 4-5 weeks till your permanently damaged (less neurotransmitters, awful memory, and less depth to awareness).

posted on Oct, 4 2012 @ 06:48 PM
link   
Responses to threads like these prove that mental illness is not treated enough. :/

I am sorry for what you are going through.

First, you can thank the Regean administration, for de institutionalizing mental illness, and closing down campuses all over the country, where people could live in a community with treatment.
There are now beautiful campuses rotting as a result, instead of doing what they are supposed to do. I can show you pics of one I went too recently.

instead, prisons and homeless populations have become a revolving door, with no treatment.

I have a husband who is mentally ill. I know all too much about it. And the stories here are familiar. I had to stop being a homemaker and went to work so we can afford our healthcare. (I have a chronic illness also) We have seperated, but I have not filed for divorce in order to keep him on my insurance, and keep him treated. Even with a decent insurance plan through the government, the copays for visits and meds still run hundreds a month.
Not to mention the costs associated with doctors who don't truley understand the diseases, misdiagnose, or give wrong medications. One doctor refused to listen to my husband that his med was making him manic, he is bipolar II which means he sufferes the depressive side, she made him manic for almost a year, causing so many problems.

Call your local social services office, and health departments. There are services to help people seek treatment. Some have programs that help you get a car. It all depends on the quality of services in your state. They may be able to hook you up with non profits. Don't stop searching for help. A lot of these are not made very available, so you have to dig to find them.
Call the pharmaceutical company that makes your meds, some have programs to help people afford medications.

Support from your friends and family is crucial. Educate, educate, educate, so they understand what they are dealing with.

Keep a journal of your emotions, what is going on in your life, what you eat, and your exercise. Tracking your moods and other things will help you understand any triggers. Many you may not even know exist.
I am in a support group for those with mentally ill spouses, we even keep track of the full moon, as that does affect those with mental disorders.
This is also valuable information for your doctor.

Try to keep life changes to a minimum. Changes upset those with mental disorders, and send them on a tailspin.

Diet does help. There is so much sugar, salt, and preservatives loaded in food, if it can affect a healthy person, it can affect a mentally ill person.

For example, a study a few years ago proved that is it no sugar that makes children hyper, but preservatives. I know all too well that a healthy diet is very hard, but you have to do the best you can. Excercise will make you feel better about yourself and raises endorphins.

Omega 3 fish oils have shown to help those with mental ill disorders like bipolar and schizophrenia, they don't know why, but it does.

If there is anything I can help you with, please let me know.

posted on Oct, 4 2012 @ 06:57 PM
link   
reply to post by moniesisfun

If you were able to heal yourself through a change of diet, you had a deficiency, not a mental illness.

Though whether you really made yourself better or not is debateable, because anyone who advocates eugenics is not in a right frame of mind.

if you want compassion, then instead of trying to destroy those that are less fortunate, you raise awareness, make the scientists and researchers notice, and you find a cure so these people can find their place in society where they want to be so badly.Problem solved, and nobody died.

posted on Oct, 4 2012 @ 07:06 PM
link   

Originally posted by nixie_nox

If you were able to heal yourself through a change of diet, you had a deficiency, not a mental illness.

Yea, because mental illness can't be caused by deficiency...like a deficiency of neurotransmitters in the brain.

Though whether you really made yourself better or not is debateable, because anyone who advocates eugenics is not in a right frame of mind.

An opinion only. I disagree.

if you want compassion, then instead of trying to destroy those that are less fortunate, you raise awareness, make the scientists and researchers notice, and you find a cure so these people can find their place in society where they want to be so badly.Problem solved, and nobody died.

I'd rather do both. Help those who can be helped, and rid the world of those who are simply defunct.

posted on Oct, 4 2012 @ 07:19 PM
link   
Well they don't even take physical health very seriously anymore. Sad fact is, were all just a number. If you really need help, they ignore you, tell you to take a zombie anti-depressant and come back in a few months. And that's for regular health issues, like heart problems, and high blood pressure. If you don't have the money, you're basically a 3rd world person like you mentioned.

Then if you really need calming meds like xanax, they wont give them to you. So it's no wonder so many mass shootings, and violence is happening here in the land of the free to be ignored. They threaten doctors who prescribe pain medicines, and anti anxitey meds with forfeiture of license, while the rich have an endless supply to use as "happy" pills.

It's big brother taking care of you don't you know.

posted on Oct, 4 2012 @ 07:25 PM
link   
reply to post by joe7pack

Or you could just search for a good online pharmacy from Canada for your needs.

A lot cheaper!

Just be sure to search out the site thoroughly. Most are scams, some are legit..erm, kinda.
edit on 4-10-2012 by moniesisfun because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 4 2012 @ 07:30 PM
link   

Originally posted by moniesisfun

Originally posted by nixie_nox

Yea, because mental illness can't be caused by deficiency...like a deficiency of neurotransmitters in the brain.

That is not what causes mental illness. Maybe you should actually understand the physiology before you condemn a quarter of the population to death.

If that were the case, it wouldn't be cured by diet.

An opinion only. I disagree.

People who set their own criteria on who deserves to live and who doesn't, has serious issues.

I'd rather do both. Help those who can be helped, and rid the world of those who are simply defunct.

Good, we can start with you.

posted on Oct, 4 2012 @ 07:36 PM
link   
reply to post by nixie_nox

You're basically just using circular reasoning in a weak attempt to prove your points.

At least people can see your hypocrisy in that last post.

Is that blimp soaring or just floating on the water...

edit on 4-10-2012 by moniesisfun because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 5 2012 @ 09:01 AM
link   

Trying to accuse me of using circular logic to deflect from the fact that you have nothing of value to add, is just lame.

posted on Oct, 7 2012 @ 12:18 PM
link   
Here's a good read concerning current medications and something far superior to them vs schizophrenia.

clicky click

top topics

<< 1   >>

join