It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Green tomato pie

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Sep, 10 2012 @ 02:55 PM
link   
Now I'm talking about the unripened, green tomatoes, not those weird tomatoes that are perfectly ripe but stay green.

If you're one of those gardeners who invariably end up after the frost with an abundance of tomatoes that aren't going to ripen, you know, you can only fry so many
Pickling is sure an option, too. But if you like a tart pie like rhubarb or gooseberry, then I think you'll really like green tomato pie. I'm all about the tart fruit pie, and I like this in the rotation.

It's basically an apple pie, only with green tomatoes. Plenty of recipes on line, but here's one I've used:

Start with 1 1/2 pounds or so of sliced green tomatoes.
Stew them 5 minutes in syrup made with 1 1/2 cups of water and 1/2 pound of sugar.
Add grated rind of 1 lemon, 3/4 tsp. cinnamon.
Cook tomatoes until getting transparent. Don't overcook, or the end product might be too soft.
Add 1/2 cup of seedless raisins or chopped figs. (optional) Cook a few more minutes.
Spread over baked pie shell, cover with stripes of fresh pie dough and bake until brown.
Time and temp depends upon the consistency of the tomato. I like them tender but not too mushy.

If you haven't ever tried this and you're a baker, give it a shot. I don't think your family will be disappointed. Served out of the oven with some vanilla ice cream

Personally, I leave out the raisins/figs.

posted on Sep, 10 2012 @ 03:07 PM
link   
reply to post by yeahright

Sounds gross but I'm sure it tastes great.

I'm just saying 'tomato pie' doesn't sound like 'apple pie'.

I tried to make a cheesecake a couple months ago and it was soooooooooo good! I made my second this past weekend and it was good but not as good as the first. (Somethings never are. like sex.)

I like trying new food recipes so I will give it a try and I'll let u know if I messed it up of if it turned out yummy.

posted on Sep, 10 2012 @ 03:13 PM
link   
reply to post by cavalryscout

I hear ya. My mom was the best pie maker like, EVER. But this particular concoction I became familiar with at a friend's house when I was growing up. His dad was a big gardener and he always made some green tomato pies at the end of the season.

Like I said, it's tart like gooseberry or rhubarb, a couple of my other favorites. Some say it isn't the prettiest pie in the world, but it says Fall to me as much as apple or pumpkin.

posted on Sep, 10 2012 @ 03:17 PM
link   

cool. I know what rhubarb tastes like but not so much gooseberry.

Like I said I may try it you just never know.

Thanks.

posted on Sep, 10 2012 @ 03:31 PM
link   
reply to post by cavalryscout

Mmmmm gooseberries.

Just some opinion, as long as I'm converting you to green tomato pie and eventually gooseberries (oh, yes... it'll happen...)

Avoid the gooseberry pie recipes that include tapioca. I mean, you can go there eventually and if you prefer that abomination then hey, your choice. But do yourself a favor and start with the pure unadulterated gooseberry pie before you fou-fou it all up and reject them under false pretenses.

posted on Sep, 10 2012 @ 03:35 PM
link   

I may have to try some new recipes this year because they look so good.

Thanx 4 the tips / info.

posted on Sep, 10 2012 @ 09:22 PM
link   

Your Pie sounds Delicious! Never heard of that one. Those little Green Tomatoes are called Tomatillos and they are quite tart. Here is a recipe for salsa verde.

its one of my favorite Mexican condiments.

Ingredients:

12-15 tomatillos, husks removed, quartered
5 cloves of garlic
1 medium white or yellow onion, skin removed, coarsely chopped
1 bunch cilantro
1 teaspoon salt
1 teaspoon vegetable oil
1 jalapeno, seeds removed
3 large Poblano chiles, roasted and skins removed
1 tablespoon lime juice

Preparation:
Roast onions, jalapeno and tomatillos under your oven broiler until skins are charred.
Add onions, jalapeno and tomatillos into a food processor and pulse 4-5 times. Add in remaining ingredients and pulse until desired consistency.

Use it for Pork Carnitas Tacos or for Enchiladas Verde or what ever you feel like...

posted on Sep, 10 2012 @ 09:36 PM
link   
I love fried green tomatoes...

so this sounds yummy to me..gonna give my wife this recipe..

thanks my friend!

posted on Sep, 10 2012 @ 10:57 PM
link   
yeahright
Thank you for posting this recipe my garden is about to the end and as usual i have a ton of green tomatoes..
Some i just set out and they ripen on there own..
But I'm going to try this green tomato pie it does sound yummy..peace,sugarcookie1

posted on Sep, 11 2012 @ 08:07 AM
link   
reply to post by Texan123

The following is my opinion as a member participating in this discussion.

Okay, just a note.

Tomatillos are something completely different, and are actually related to the gooseberry. A gooseberry is basically a miniature version of a tomatillo.

The green tomatoes in the green tomato pie are truly unripened regular old tomatoes. They're usually hard as a rock (depending upon how "green" they are), which is why it's a good idea to precook them in the sweetened water before they go in the pie shell in the oven. it's also why it's difficult to relay a precise recipe. A lot of it depends upon how young the tomatoes are in terms of cooking time, amount of sugar, etc. You sort of have to wing it. Maybe taste it occasionally and definitely keep an eye on things while you're in the pre-pie stage so it doesn't all turn to slop.

I do love me some salsa verde, and thanks for your recipe. Do a search for some threads 12m8keall2c started in the cooking forum. He's got some really amazingly good southwestern style recipes in here. Makes his own salsa, too.

As an ATS Staff Member, I will not moderate in threads such as this where I have participated as a member.

edit on 9/11/2012 by yeahright because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 14 2012 @ 12:01 AM
link   
I have never had the pie, but the green tomato cake is amazing! I have plenty of green tomatoes in the garden right now... perhaps I'll try this.

posted on Sep, 14 2012 @ 08:39 AM
link   
reply to post by jensouth31

Hey stranger! Where the heck have YOU been?
If you try this out, make sure you update us about the results. I hope you like it.

posted on Sep, 15 2012 @ 01:20 AM
link   

10-4 Roger that...how the heck are you Dear friend?

*for fear of being off of subject matter*
back to business-

If I get the chance to try this soon...I promise to report my findings on Green Tomato Pie, mean-while try the green tomato cake with brown butter icing. Paula Deans recipe is pretty darn good...except I decreased the amount of flour she sites...I believe I decreased by 1/2 to 3/4 of a cup because I thought it was too thick of batter. The cake came out beautiful...so yummy.

top topics

join