It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Scientists Discover Method to Control Cockroaches Remotely

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Sep, 7 2012 @ 11:14 AM
link   
linky

This is disgusting. Yet the implications are crazy.
Remote spying just got creepy. Imagine taking one of these guys.
And with a strong transmitter and receiver sending in the roach to gather information.
Reminds me of that scene from The 5th Element where the guy was spying on the President.

Our aim was to determine whether we could create a wireless biological interface with cockroaches, which are robust and able to infiltrate small spaces. Ultimately, we think this will allow us to create a mobile web of smart sensors that uses cockroaches to collect and transmit information, such as finding survivors in a building that's been destroyed by an earthquake.

Their goals are noble. But I imagine the CIA using this to do espionage.

edit on 7-9-2012 by grey580 because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 7 2012 @ 11:32 AM
link   
Iether it's going to be abused by the spy organizations or it will be the weapon of choice for some crazy scientist who decides to become an evil villain. Roachman! Chasing people down the streets with hoards of cockroaches. he can give some evil speech about how everybody laughed at him etc... but nows he's going to get revenge and just as he says that the cockroach hoard engulfs the a cornered scared couple and eats them in seconds scurrying off only to leave their bones. The mad scientists cackling as he go off further into the night to find more victims. You know he could like replace the villain shredder from the ninja turtles. Give them a new twist on the plot.

Watch out though when some of the roaches touch the mutagen. Thats for season two.

posted on Sep, 7 2012 @ 11:57 AM
link   
OP, you have posted a link to the three creepiest damned words I've read in years and years...
"wireless biological interface"
Those tinfoil hat jokes aren't so funny all of a sudden.

posted on Sep, 7 2012 @ 12:01 PM
link   
reply to post by twitchy

It was only a matter of time.
Might have to make a Magneto helmet to keep them out of my head.

posted on Sep, 7 2012 @ 02:42 PM
link   
reply to post by grey580

In light of this disturbing development, I thought you might enjoy this old thread as well...
Suspect Detection Systems

top topics

join