It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

New Oil and Tar Balls Litter the Gulf Coast After Hurricane Isaac

page: 2
<< 1   >>

join
share:

posted on Sep, 8 2012 @ 11:34 PM
link   
This may be a stupid question, and I apologize in advance if I just missed this in other threads.

From what I understand, BP did the capping of the well, is that correct? But wasn't this discussed early on, and the consensus was that the well had TOO much pressure and could NOT be capped.

So what happened to change that opinion?

Secondly, was there a non-biased party at the scene after the well was capped to VERIFY that it actually did cap that well?

Well, sorry, turned out to be more than one stupid question here...

posted on Sep, 9 2012 @ 03:07 AM
link   
New BP spokesman and motto:

Love how they are already making excuses and trying to push off the blame on "new" oil.
edit on 9-9-2012 by Lostmymarbles because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 9 2012 @ 09:54 AM
link   
How are they going to prove those are from the BP leak. Liability wise there has to be proof. There could be other wells leaking around and the companies could be using corexit to hide their problems. Can't blame everything on BP just because of that accident.

I could use some of those tar balls to redo my driveway.

posted on Sep, 9 2012 @ 10:49 AM
link   
I'm expecting that the experts will find this has NOTHING to do with the BP oil gusher.
It's amazing how the "natural oil seepage" was discovered after deep ocean drilling became possible.

I already have an image of some "expert" on the TV smirking about those "foolish tin-foil-hat conspiracy folks" without a degree in biochemistry presuming this would have anything to do with a unplugged hole in the ocean, or that the stuff sprayed on the oil was just designed to make it sink. He's got that characteristic sideways smirk that every child molester has when he's got a secret.

They'll say something about Big Foot, and then everyone will chuckle. The same way they chuckled at the people who thought the Single Shooter of JFK didn't make sense because someone was running a coverup after the man was killed by a patriot/mob patsy. The same way they chuckled about people saying 9/11 was an inside job, because fires don't make steel buildings collapse -- and if they did, not that fast. The way they chuckled that the US was supporting a torture program. Or chuckled that people thought the Banksters were rigging the game right up to the point where the LIBOR scandal was revealed and quickly ignored for the latest storm or sex tape.

I've got a bank charging me right now for "overdraft protection" where they electronically don't pay something, and then charge me $35 for automatically doing something I told them not to do -- but they've got a policy that states how they can't control these sorts of things but I owe for it, because it's a policy, you see?

Tar Balls used to show up on the coast of Savannah and we were told they were natural.

What do banks and natural tar balls have in common? Smirking little pundits with large pay checks telling you that you are being silly. Anyone notice all that news coverage that revealed the Fed printed $16 Trillion to pay out to the banks since 2008? Here we are, with Republicans acting so concerned about "deficit spending" to pay for Food Stamps so kids can eat something -- and the Fed is just printing the money in the middle of the night.

It's probably just as well we don't feed the kids, because we'll find something wrong with the Gulf Shrimp.

posted on Sep, 9 2012 @ 10:58 AM
link   
In the 60's and 70's, I never saw a tar ball or oil drop in the sand on the gulf shore from rockport to corpus christi.
....not one... ever ....at all....

posted on Sep, 9 2012 @ 11:08 AM
link   

Originally posted by rickymouse
How are they going to prove those are from the BP leak. Liability wise there has to be proof. There could be other wells leaking around and the companies could be using corexit to hide their problems. Can't blame everything on BP just because of that accident.

I could use some of those tar balls to redo my driveway.

That's why the plastics companies replaced the BPA garbage in water bottles with a slightly different plastic that ends up looking like estrogen in the blood stream. If EVERYBODY poisons us a little bit -- NOBODY is responsible.

Oil revenue goes to BP or Exxon, but Tar Balls are orphans.

posted on Sep, 9 2012 @ 11:09 AM
link   

Originally posted by GBP/JPY
In the 60's and 70's, I never saw a tar ball or oil drop in the sand on the gulf shore from rockport to corpus christi.
....not one... ever ....at all....

Yeah, but back then, nobody was drilling for oil in the oceans -- so they weren't "natural" yet.

posted on Sep, 9 2012 @ 11:20 AM
link   
reply to post by VitriolAndAngst

The oil experts won't be able to prove they are BP's oil balls is what you mean. Under the legal system undeniable proof is needed before someone is liable. In this case I do not think they can blame it on BP alone. I think the problem is way bigger than most expect. This kind of stuff has been going on for a while, many small leaks add up to a lot also. Accidents happen when acquiring oil. That is normal. If this spill would have been a hundred barrels noone would have known. Corexit is a newer chemical but similar chemicals have been used for quite a while to cover these things up. Don't worry, you can still eat shrimp once in a while and the seafood is safe if you eat it occasionally.
We need to reduce world population anyway
The earth will heal from this spill, it will just take time.

posted on Sep, 9 2012 @ 11:31 AM
link   

Originally posted by MDDoxs
I know it happens quite frequently that corporations cover up ecological damage they have been respondsible for, but i find myself thinking about how many more of these disasters have been covered up.

How many spills have big oil kept quiet that have not made MSM; could the state of the natural world on our planet be more grave then we are even aware of?

Further, how many re-discoveries of past disasters will come to light through situations like Hurricane Isaac turning up the oil previously found on the sea floor.

Scary stuff
edit on 7-9-2012 by MDDoxs because: (no reason given)

In third world countries they don't even bother with a "cover up". They just leave it as is. While disastrous spills on coastlines are given lip service, those that happen inland, in poor nations, with no media are left as they are. Across the globe greed has destroyed millions upon millions of acres of delicately balanced ecosystems, poisoned countless indigenous peoples and the corporate overlords laughed all the way to the bank.

Personally I think they should all be charged with murder and executed, but I don't believe really believe in execution, (these guys bring me close tho) so I guess I would just put them in prison, maybe in one of those places that they raped and polluted, and let them rot.

posted on Sep, 9 2012 @ 11:41 AM
link   
And the Republicans want more and more drilling all over America, but when the crap hits the fan like this spill, not a peep from the cons. What a freaking disaster! Where are all the cons volunteering to clean up the mess?

reply to post by StealthyKat

posted on Sep, 9 2012 @ 12:32 PM
link   
reply to post by rickymouse

They can test the oil samples to see whats it's composition is to determine where it originated from. Similar to how they can test stuff like diamonds to see whether they came from restricted regions (blood diamonds).

There are ways to testing the oil and supposedly they already have and have found many locations to be covered with BP oil.

posted on Sep, 9 2012 @ 01:28 PM
link   

The oil experts won't be able to prove they are BP's oil balls is what you mean. Under the legal system undeniable proof is needed before someone is liable. In this case I do not think they can blame it on BP alone. I think the problem is way bigger than most expect. This kind of stuff has been going on for a while, many small leaks add up to a lot also. Accidents happen when acquiring oil. That is normal. If this spill would have been a hundred barrels noone would have known. Corexit is a newer chemical but similar chemicals have been used for quite a while to cover these things up. Don't worry, you can still eat shrimp once in a while and the seafood is safe if you eat it occasionally.
We need to reduce world population anyway
The earth will heal from this spill, it will just take time.

You get no argument from me on your post.

What I cannot stand is that we have to PROVE BEYOND A REASONABLE DOUBT some corporation guilty of killing humans. THEY do not have to prove their products are safe. So Pink Slime is used as food in schools and fast food restaurants, weird plastics can be used to contain our food because rats tested don't die -- but no mention is made of the cancers, infertility and genetic damage.

And don't get me started about GM food. A quick bit of research on the matter is that it's not all the same, but some of it is downright scary. Especially Corn, Soy and Wheat. The standards shouldn't be; "PROVE that deep sea drilling caused THIS PARTICULAR tar ball we found or this PARTICULAR hormone producing mutant gene in soy caused breast cancer." The bar needs to be set that PROVE bio-engineering pesticides into food is safe -- not only for the current rat, but the rats three generations from now.

>> We've got cloned BEEF now -- and a lot of people who think they understand and love science think it's the same thing as a regular cow. It's amazing that all the people who religiously appose "Global Warming" and strangely seem to have religious arguments against alternative energy, aren't also prompted by scripture to worry about abominations in human genes finding their way into our food animals and even spinach. A cynical person might suggest that church pulpits have people offended only at things that corporate shills want them to be upset about.

However, current METHODS of cloning are not perfect. And a cloned animal won't live as long as traditionally born creature because #1 they took the gene from an adult animal (and genes are modified after we are born, and express different aspects of the DNA) and #2, the process is not perfect and there are transcoding errors. Since the cows aren't going to be around long before slaughter, Mad Cow and bad genetic drift don't show up (yes, nobody actually CURED Mad Cow, they just slaughter cows before the Prion expresses itself -- problem solved, right?).

I don't know this for a fact, but I wonder if we clone cows now not for the readability of the fast growing steer, but perhaps the rumors that the 3rd and 4th generation of animals RAISED on GM corn becoming sterile could be influencing the traditional methods of breeding fast growing animals with each other.

However, we are assured by people who make lots of money, that there is nothing wrong with GM food, and so we aren't allowed to know what has been modified and what hasn't, and we have to spend our own money to run studies and prove beyond a reasonable doubt that whatever particular allergy, brain damage, chromosome damage or cancer was ONLY CAUSED BY THIS ONE SOURCE.

It's really impossible. The "secret ingredients of Core Exit" in the Oil mutating Gulf Shrimp, the estrogen-like plastics in the BPA free containers, and the hormone-like structures in Corn and Soy are all having an impact so there isn't ONE BULLET and there isn't ONE GUN and so nobody is guilty.

Everyone just look surprised when diabetes, obesity, mental problems, ADHD, sterility, cancer, and genetic mutations become more and more common.

WE can all live in fear, and be TOLD to worry about Terrorist X, Drug Dealer Y, and Enemy Z -- and they don't need any proof about the unexamined threats we spend Billions on. Pay not attention to the untested food and drugs we consume on a regular basis -- it's not been proven to KILL YOU immediately, so feed it to your kids.

posted on Sep, 9 2012 @ 03:29 PM
link   

It's not even the fact that the GM soy is being utilized instead of regular soy products. It is the fact that we started consuming more soy that is the problem. We didn't eat much soy at all before, just in Soy sauce where the fermenting broke down the estrogen. Now it's in just about everything. Evolution of the diet over many generations is necessary to properly be able to process these things. Whoever started pushing soy into all our foods should be hung. The Chinese and Asians may have a better tolerance for soy but not the Europeans that live in this country. The Chinese know well about the health effects of too much soy in the diet, genetically engineering the plant could help a little but then it may not be recognized by the body right and body chemistry will go astray. We are not gods, we can't eat everything. What fools we are to let these people seeking profit ruin our health and thinking. We must put an end to their reign in this country.

posted on Sep, 9 2012 @ 03:35 PM
link   
reply to post by Lostmymarbles

That's interesting, will it stand up in court? Funny that anyone will say definitely BP when BP has funded so many environmental labs and organizations after the spill. Hmmm..... those labs won't be getting future jobs from the oil industry or their subsidies, I hope they understand that. I hate to see good businesses crumble by getting involved in things like this, personally I would have said I was too busy at the time.
edit on 9-9-2012 by rickymouse because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 9 2012 @ 05:26 PM
link   
reply to post by rickymouse

Thankfully that's why we have Universities with their own labs and private donors such as their alumni. Otherwise then yeah, those other research labs would be bought up.

As for it being able to hold up in court, I'm sure it can. The area's where BP drills for oil will probably have a certain type a composition that would be unlike other areas. It'd be a slight difference but enough of one to know the general area of where it is from and then with that knowledge they can look to see which oil drills are in the area and who owns those drills.

posted on Sep, 13 2012 @ 04:56 PM
link   

It's not even the fact that the GM soy is being utilized instead of regular soy products. It is the fact that we started consuming more soy that is the problem. We didn't eat much soy at all before, just in Soy sauce where the fermenting broke down the estrogen. Now it's in just about everything. Evolution of the diet over many generations is necessary to properly be able to process these things. Whoever started pushing soy into all our foods should be hung. The Chinese and Asians may have a better tolerance for soy but not the Europeans that live in this country. The Chinese know well about the health effects of too much soy in the diet, genetically engineering the plant could help a little but then it may not be recognized by the body right and body chemistry will go astray. We are not gods, we can't eat everything. What fools we are to let these people seeking profit ruin our health and thinking. We must put an end to their reign in this country.

I agree with you that there is a HUGE issue with genetic background. Having Irish blood in me, I'm immune from being incapacitated from alcohol until I'm actually unable to stand, and as a european blood line, certain lung and poisoned food ailments make me merely sick, but they will kill a Latin American or Indian. We know however, that Malaria will destroy a european, while someone with the "sickle cell gene" from Africa, will be better able to deal with it.

Along with too much soy (because it's a cheap replacement for good protein), and the "urban legend" that it's better quality protein (no, there's stuff in their you won't even digest), the GM soy really, really is different.

The process of genetic modification is changing a lot more in the DNA of food than can be predicted. If you follow the principle of "first do no harm" -- we've broken the rule to begin with.

Depression and a whole host of ailments start in the stomach. We are inundated with "estrogen like" chemicals in Corn, Soy, and plastics. The other anomaly from GM foods and all the sugar substitutes but Stevia, is that it thickens the stomach wall. This reduces what we absorb and causes a host of other problems, including food cravings.

I'm pretty sure that following the diet of what industrial farmers use to fatten cattle is not the best way to go.

posted on Oct, 14 2012 @ 02:41 PM
link   
Some excellent replies here! No, it's not just BP who should be held accountable....but it's thier deceptive ads that anger me. Please excuse all the typos in my last post
I had just got back from the dentist and was pretty loopy
I guess you can still get the idea of what I was saying ...I hope

edit on 10/14/2012 by StealthyKat because: (no reason given)

new topics

top topics

<< 1   >>

join