It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Does this video show a working self propelled magnetic engine?

page: 1
<<   2  3  4 >>

join
share:
+5 more 
posted on Sep, 4 2012 @ 10:30 PM
link   
Greetings Above Top Secretions,

I have seen a worthless ton of videos showing half done attempts at this, but this is one of the few that seems legitimate. Are there any electrical engineers around here who could say if this would power a few LEDs?

posted on Sep, 4 2012 @ 10:51 PM
link   
Magnets eventually lose their charge without something to replenish them.

/thread

+8 more 
posted on Sep, 4 2012 @ 10:53 PM
link   
reply to post by boncho

The sun runs out of hydrogen to burn it dies.
/solar system

posted on Sep, 4 2012 @ 10:54 PM
link   

Originally posted by boncho
Magnets eventually lose their charge without something to replenish them.

/thread

How long would it take for them to lose their charge?
I am aware that this is not a "perpetual motion machine", but it is seemingly a very effective and cheap portable engine.
edit on 4-9-2012 by dashen because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 4 2012 @ 11:16 PM
link   
www.eamagnetics.com

A permanent magnet will retain its magnetism unless it is affected by a strong outside magnetic or electrical force, or elevated temperatures. If they are not exposed to any of these conditions, permanent magnets will lose magnetism on their own, however this degradation is very slow, on the order of one percentage point every ten years or so.

Apparently, a permanent magnet will last a long time. On the order of 1000 years, it looks like.

To the OP: You mentioned lighting a few LEDs. I wonder how much torque it will produce. Would it be enough to overcome the magnetic resistance needed to turn a generator?

posted on Sep, 4 2012 @ 11:20 PM
link   

Originally posted by dashen
reply to post by boncho

The sun runs out of hydrogen to burn it dies.
/solar system

Hence the sun is not a perpetual motion machine. The sun is quite a lot larger than the do-hickey in the video as well...

posted on Sep, 4 2012 @ 11:22 PM
link   
reply to post by boncho

Neither is the machine in the featured video, but the 1000 or so years it would take the magnet to lose its charge puts your initial comment in perspective.

posted on Sep, 4 2012 @ 11:24 PM
link   
reply to post by dashen

Modern magnets won't lose their "charge" in your lifetime, hence them always sticking to the fridge, infinitum, without needing "recharged"

It would be perpetual motion, except that thedesigned machine didn't appear to have bearings or lubricants, or any of the requesite friction disapation media necessary to keep it from eating itself alive over the short term.

However as a working, rough prototype, I say it is *snip* awesome!

I rate it 7 out of 10 on the perpetual motion scale. Very cool find op.

SnF

edit on Wed, 05 Sep 2012 15:27:00 -0500 by JacKatMtn because: Mod Edit: Profanity/Circumvention Of Censors – Please Review This Link.

link   

Originally posted by dashen
reply to post by boncho

Neither is the machine in the featured video, but the 1000 or so years it would take the magnet to lose its charge puts your initial comment in perspective.

No.

Permanent magnets are used all over the place, like in alternators and wind turbines, but they are not a source of power...

A permanent magnet synchronous generator is a generator where the excitation field is provided by a permanent magnet instead of a coil.
Synchronous generators are the majority source of commercial electrical energy. They are commonly used to convert the mechanical power output of steam turbines, gas turbines, reciprocating engines, hydro turbines and wind turbines into electrical power for the grid. They are known as synchronous generators because the speed of the rotor must always match the supply frequency.

en.wikipedia.org...

link   

Originally posted by N3k9Ni
Would it be enough to overcome the magnetic resistance needed to turn a generator?

This guy looks like he's up for the job.

posted on Sep, 4 2012 @ 11:26 PM
link   
reply to post by dashen

Making something spin and making something spin with resistance producing usable electricity are two completely different things...

posted on Sep, 4 2012 @ 11:28 PM
link   

Originally posted by boncho

Permanent magnets are used all over the place, like in alternators and wind turbines, but they are not a source of power...

No. See above.

posted on Sep, 4 2012 @ 11:29 PM
link   
It would be good to find something that runs on it's own, that could charge up your iphone. hmmm that gets me thinking...

posted on Sep, 4 2012 @ 11:41 PM
link   
reply to post by dashen

Hi Dashen,
I should warn you that this video (and the other one) was made by a russian bloke (can't remenber his name now) who is a fraud! He actually ran a scam and sold many of the big white machines to german customers, earning a lot of money. The gear obviously don't work...

I know both videos, too good to be true.
My 2 cents,

posted on Sep, 4 2012 @ 11:44 PM
link   
reply to post by LordAdef

Oh. very good then.

Deleted!

posted on Sep, 4 2012 @ 11:53 PM
link   
Ok, but one more for the road

posted on Sep, 5 2012 @ 12:48 AM
link   
reply to post by dashen

How do you not see him moving the magnet up and down? For every bit of energy you get on the repel side of the magnet you lose on the attract side. He is counteracting this by moving the magnet when the energy would be lost.

Free energy devices of this nature can never work for this very reason. Assuming zero friction you can get a wheel to spin forever, but it would have 0 energy output. That means it will spin forever as long as no work is being done. The second you attempt to use the energy for work, the wheel would stop. It. Can't. Work. How are people so easilly fooled? The method used here is so obvious as well.

posted on Sep, 5 2012 @ 01:32 AM
link   
reply to post by OccamsRazor04

In the second segment of the video though he has a cam on the flywheel which raises the magnet itself, we did somthing like this in science class in high school, the problem was alway, torque, it never had enough to do anything useful, it basically only ever mover air, and not much of that.

I wander if it was larger scale in a vacuum, with a heavier flywheel, if we could have done more, we never had the budget to test it though, I am saving if for my 12 year olds science fair experiment.

Also magnatism proves propetual motion, as does gravity, it is true, we just lack anything close to the scientific understanding to pull it off.

One day we will, IMHO have proof of concept, on a real life perpetual motion machine, sadly I will probably be dead before that happens though.

posted on Sep, 5 2012 @ 02:59 AM
link   

Dear OccamsRazor04

You might try watching the whole of the first video as your complaint has been answered.

Now as someone else suggested it is perpetrated by a known fraud.

However I am no Boffin but it looks good to me and as near as dam it a perpetual motion machine.

It is all very well to have had a bit of Physics training just so off the cuff spout the LAW of this or that. These things should be examined without prejudice by people who really know what they are talking about not just poo pooed out of hand.

With that sort of attitude the future of mankind is bleak indeed.

I would like to get Michio Kaku to look at it and see what he thinks.

posted on Sep, 5 2012 @ 03:56 AM
link   

Originally posted by inverslyproportional

In the second segment of the video though he has a cam on the flywheel which raises the magnet itself, we did somthing like this in science class in high school, the problem was alway, torque, it never had enough to do anything useful, it basically only ever mover air, and not much of that.

I wander if it was larger scale in a vacuum, with a heavier flywheel, if we could have done more, we never had the budget to test it though, I am saving if for my 12 year olds science fair experiment.

Also magnatism proves propetual motion, as does gravity, it is true, we just lack anything close to the scientific understanding to pull it off.

One day we will, IMHO have proof of concept, on a real life perpetual motion machine, sadly I will probably be dead before that happens though.

Where is the power to raise the magnet coming from? It is not coming from the device as even if it DID achieve perpetual motion there is no energy to do any work. It's a fraud. As you said yourself nothing "useful" can be achieved.

Perpetual motion without the ability to do work is scientifically factual. In a vacuum, with zero friction, you can get something that would spin forever. The second you tried to make it do work it would stop spinning.

top topics

<<   2  3  4 >>

join