It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Boone County homeowner shoots, kills intruder

page: 2
<< 1   >>

join
share:

posted on Sep, 3 2012 @ 09:57 PM
link   

Originally posted by kennylee
reply to post by Kryties

The situation may have been resolved without shooting, but it's been instilled into the American population, cops included, to shoot first and ask awkward questions later.

Please tell us how you would have handled this situation. You are alone and a 92 year old man. You live way out in the country where the nearest policeman is at least 20 minutes away. You hear someone break into your basement and then come up the steps that lead inside your home. It is dark and you can barely see. You hear the door open and can just barely make out a dark figure coming towards you. You have a gun. What do you do?

1. Start singing kumbaya and hope they join you in a chorus.

2. Shoot the intruder before they can harm or kill you?

3. Point gun at intruder and demand he drop any weapons he may or may not have or be shot. If intruder fails to comply, or points a weapon, then shoot (unless, of course, the intruder is making an escape then I would not agree with shooting him in the back).

See? Not hard to figure out is it?
edit on 3/9/2012 by Kryties because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 3 2012 @ 09:58 PM
link   
reply to post by Aliensun

For those that decry the killing of the intruder, simply decided what you think the three would have done to the old gent had he been unarmed.

The burglar in this situation that I knew personally, would probably have not wanted to leave any witnesses that could ID them and put them away. All of his life he was taught to always take what you want. He was raised with no conscience and no sympathy for anyone.

I really believe that the old man wouldnt be here today to tell the story if he hadnt been armed. That is a fact.

edit on 9/3/12 by kennylee because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 3 2012 @ 10:06 PM
link   
reply to post by Kryties

Point gun at intruder and demand he drop any weapons he may or may not have or be shot.

In your scenario, the old man would have startled the burglar causing the burglar to start shooting in his direction, probably hitting and killing the old man.

Why does the old man have to try and handle the situation peacefully when he is in his own home, his own sanctuary that should be his safe place from the world?

Like I said earlier, lets get people to not break into someones house and they will not get shot. People like you are unbelievable. Just makes me shake my head. You would rather blame the old man, the homeowner who has the right to be there and defend his home, than to blame the guy that shouldnt be there in the first place. Unbelievable!

posted on Sep, 3 2012 @ 10:19 PM
link   
reply to post by kennylee

You are posing lots of maybe's and possibilities - none of which you can be sure of because the old man shot first and the awkward questions are being asked later.

posted on Sep, 3 2012 @ 10:28 PM
link   

Originally posted by Kryties
reply to post by kennylee

You are posing lots of maybe's and possibilities - none of which you can be sure of because the old man shot first and the awkward questions are being asked later.

So are you but I have an advantage over you. I know the mindset of one of the burglars. I know the things he was taught while he was growing up. I know things that he saw while growing up. I know what made and makes him tick.

So my maybes and possibilities are a lot closer to reality than yours is. If the old man would have not been armed and decided to shoot first and ask questions later, then more than likely, the old man would be dead today and they would be trying to figure out who killed him. The burglars in this case would not have played nice like you want to believe.

posted on Sep, 4 2012 @ 09:31 AM
link   

Originally posted by Dogdish
Home invasion has become the preferred method of, and I don't use the term lightly, terrorizing - innocents out of their belongings, sense of security, and I'm sure much more that you'd take for granted until it's taken away.

The plan was obviously to sneak up on an old man, subdue him in some fashion, take all that he had, and leave him unable to call for any assistance.

There is no other deterrent. Is there?

The old man was completely justified in this shooting. The 3 guys in this case were clearly going to subdue the man or worse, harm or kill him. If you fear for your life, and you have a gun, it is the only sensible deterrent.

top topics

<< 1   >>

join