It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

With landmark lawsuit, Barack Obama pushed banks to give subprime loans to Chicago’s African-Ameri

page: 2
<< 1    3 >>

join
share:

posted on Sep, 4 2012 @ 03:51 PM
link   
Reply to post by Crakeur

It usually IS the other guys fault. The republicans fight democrats on everything and the democrats fight republicans on everything, so nothing gets done. They dont know how to work together.

Posted Via ATS Mobile: m.abovetopsecret.com

posted on Sep, 4 2012 @ 03:58 PM
link   
reply to post by acmpnsfal

of course it is, and every man and woman in prison is innocent.

my point is that it's time to stop worrying about who's to blame and start fixing things.

who's the bigger hero - the guy who didn't cause the problem or the guy who fixes it.

If I were running, I'd run on a platform of "yesterday is over, let's talk about today, and tomorrow."

instead, we've got blame being tossed around to the point that it doesn't even matter if it's factual (thank you Clint, for blaming Afghanistan on Obama and, yes, I'm sure we'll get plenty of inane accusations and finger pointing from the democrats this week).

The democrats point to the republicans, the republicans point to the democrats and, in the end, it's us, the citizens, left breathing the foul stench of their collective, pants crapping, farts.

they blame, we lose.

posted on Sep, 4 2012 @ 04:02 PM
link   

Originally posted by Crakeur
reply to post by Phoenix

Therein lies one of the biggest problems we, as a nation are facing.

Rather than look back and point fingers at past administrations, deflecting blame and making this party, or that party, look like the cause of all our ills, the candidates should focus on moving forward, fixing the problems, creating solutions.

We're doomed to fail because we're governed by morons (this includes all politicians) who are too busy pointing at the other guy to notice that we're barrelling into a brick wall.

edit on 4-9-2012 by Crakeur because: (no reason given)

Crakuer, I hear where you coming from and it a solutions based answer which is good and necessary. Understanding history and how we as a poeple arrived at this point is step one in finding the solutions. One cannot operate in a vacuum as it will doom us to repeat the process. Some blame and finger pointing along with consequences are due these politicians.

It is my opinion that the more people understand history (not the legend, nor the revised) the better off they will be by seeing, hearing and understanding what actually may be a solution when put on the table.

Most of my posting actually consists of correcting revisionism as presented by our media which is swallowed hook line and sinker by a dumbed down under-educated public, sure I have conservative roots but in the main I have a thing about truth, real truth.

We are not getting that anymore and have not gotten it for several decades from the media.

Part of why I love this board.

posted on Sep, 4 2012 @ 04:02 PM
link   
Reply to post by Phoenix

Yea but the loans most people recieved, the ones that caused the housing crisis, were given to pretty much everyone. I mean lower middle class people could walk into a bank and get a loan no problem. Even the elderly retired on fixed incomes were given loans, they were a joke. There was no reason why black people should have been denied. But if the banks were denying people loans based off sound data I doubt they would have won the lawsuit.

posted on Sep, 4 2012 @ 04:04 PM
link   
Reply to post by acmpnsfal

Doubt Obama would have won it.

posted on Sep, 4 2012 @ 04:04 PM
link   
i cant believe i have to point this out,
THE BANKS,
neither dems or repubs did a thing to stop this,
WHY?

the banks owned them both,
the banks had explicit gambling rights.

politicians are the "front men" for banks,

BOTH SIDES

xploder

posted on Sep, 4 2012 @ 04:10 PM
link   
reply to post by Crakeur

On this particular subject history says bring back a version of Glass-Steagall which once again seperates banking and investments - surely all can see the error from the 1930's depression and todays results.

Secondly its time to let the so called "to big to fail, fail" the longer we prop them the worse the correction will be, I'd rather take a near fatal dose now rather than wait for the absolutely fatal dose later.

posted on Sep, 4 2012 @ 04:14 PM
link   

Originally posted by acmpnsfal
Reply to post by Phoenix

Yea but the loans most people recieved, the ones that caused the housing crisis, were given to pretty much everyone. I mean lower middle class people could walk into a bank and get a loan no problem. Even the elderly retired on fixed incomes were given loans, they were a joke. There was no reason why black people should have been denied. But if the banks were denying people loans based off sound data I doubt they would have won the lawsuit.

That was redlining back in the 70's, 80's period and really has nothing to do with todays aspect of outright greed which drove those who knew they could not afford and banks to loan to those who could not pay.

The barn door was kicked in and once banks were federally insured they also went greedy. The barn door was the lawsuits.

posted on Sep, 4 2012 @ 04:16 PM
link   
you would probably disagree with the redline policy if there was a line around your neighborhood

what else ya got ?

posted on Sep, 4 2012 @ 04:17 PM
link   
Reply to post by Crakeur

The blame game is kind of vital to politics though. I mean we cannot pretend that all politicans are good and none of them screw up. If people would take responsibility for their actions it would not be as big of a problem. But thats not the real issue, they could point fingers all day and still get things accomplished. But they are too busy trying to have everything one way instead of compromising and finding middle ground.

posted on Sep, 4 2012 @ 04:18 PM
link   

Originally posted by XPLodER
i cant believe i have to point this out,
THE BANKS,
neither dems or repubs did a thing to stop this,
WHY?

the banks owned them both,
the banks had explicit gambling rights.

politicians are the "front men" for banks,

BOTH SIDES

xploder

I agree, mother earth news had a related story on the history of banking deregulation where it listed political donations to key members of congress over the decades by banking interests.

posted on Sep, 4 2012 @ 04:18 PM
link   

Originally posted by syrinx high priest
you would probably disagree with the redline policy if there was a line around your neighborhood

what else ya got ?

I bought in one just fine, whats your point? Have you? did you? ever try? or are you even old enough to have had to?
edit on 4-9-2012 by Phoenix because: sp

edit on 4-9-2012 by Phoenix because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 4 2012 @ 04:19 PM
link   
Reply to post by Phoenix

Discrimination still occurs today those practices did not just magically dissapear from society after the 70s lol.

posted on Sep, 4 2012 @ 04:20 PM
link   
reply to post by Phoenix

of course you study the past and learn from mistakes but, rather than standing at a podium and saying "he did this, he did that, he didn't do this, he didn't do that" I want to hear "I am going to do this, I am going to do that and we will move forward."

I care as much about romney's magic undies as I do about obama's mistakes and missteps.

Look at it this way. when you get fired or break up from a relationship, you spend a great deal of time blaming the boss, coworker, work environment, ex-partner etc. During this time, you flounder in new relationships, have a hard time finding a new job etc.

When you stop focusing on the past and start working on repairing the present, you find new love, new work etc.

I'm sure you'll point out that it's important to blame someone somehow but you're wrong.

it's easy to use the past as a means of moving forward. you do so without spending 98% of the time talking about who put us where we are. the cold, hard truth, is that the problems we have are jointly owned by both sides and are an accumulation of decades of hubris, greeed, stupidity, ego and ignorance.

The day we, as a country, stop playing up to their finger pointing, blaming ways, is the day we, as a nation, can move forward and work towards healing the wounded country.

posted on Sep, 4 2012 @ 04:33 PM
link   

Originally posted by Crakeur
reply to post by Phoenix

it's easy to use the past as a means of moving forward. you do so without spending 98% of the time talking about who put us where we are. the cold, hard truth, is that the problems we have are jointly owned by both sides and are an accumulation of decades of hubris, greeed, stupidity, ego and ignorance.

The day we, as a country, stop playing up to their finger pointing, blaming ways, is the day we, as a nation, can move forward and work towards healing the wounded country.

110% agree. Its not really a blame game and trust me been through enough in my life to take hard looks inwards which usually result in much good later no qualms there.

Maybe what I'm saying is blame without basis which is the political norm is very bad for this country right now and some blame based on factual evidence or history is a good thing so that those looking to the media for information do so with eyes wide open and realize how badly the manipulation really is.

I offered solutions upthread but they are unacknowledged and probably will never be enacted upon in the future.

I to would love and vote for a politician who came out and said factually, heres the problem and heres the solution. He or she will never ever gain office because basically this country has been factionalized into special interest groups to an extent that nothing can get fixed without stepping on some other toes, that was by design in my view by TPTB so that control of one sort or another can always be maintained.

On topic, the banking laws and resulting fiasco were very predictable in hindsight of historical information available.

edit on 4-9-2012 by Phoenix because: sp

edit on 4-9-2012 by Phoenix because: Add to topic

edit on 4-9-2012 by Phoenix because: bad typing

posted on Sep, 4 2012 @ 05:33 PM
link   
reply to post by Phoenix

in 2004 the FBI warned of "an epidemic" of mortgage fraud from the "LENDERS",
THIS WAS IGNORED IN FAVOUR OF BANK PROFITS by both sides of the isle

by both sides,
it has little to do with the colour of skin and more to do with the COLOUR OF MONEY

xploder

posted on Sep, 4 2012 @ 07:38 PM
link   

Originally posted by XPLodER
reply to post by Phoenix

in 2004 the FBI warned of "an epidemic" of mortgage fraud from the "LENDERS",
THIS WAS IGNORED IN FAVOUR OF BANK PROFITS by both sides of the isle

by both sides,
it has little to do with the colour of skin and more to do with the COLOUR OF MONEY

xploder

Hey I agree, nothing to do with aisle or race, it was pure greed unchecked - no problem there. Its the why that I concern myself with.

posted on Sep, 4 2012 @ 08:56 PM
link   

Originally posted by MsAphrodite
reply to post by SaturnFX

Have you ever had anyone twist your arm behind your back to get you to do something that you knew was a bad idea? It hurts, but sometimes you go along to get along. Politicians in Chicago are well known for this kind of tactic.

Vaccinations, schooling, taxes that fund wars I don't agree with (people die with my tax dollars actually), opening a business requires me to let anyone come in, etc etc etc.

Actually, the typical person has tons of arm twisting to be part of society..welcome to civilization, assimilate or be destroyed. This is the nature of society, but I don't say it as if it was evil, it is a necessary evil if it is though.

posted on Sep, 5 2012 @ 03:42 AM
link   

Originally posted by SaturnFX
ok, gotcha...so...thats what the game is then
GOP = Regulate!
DNC = Deregulate.

I am down with that, and will even give support for the GOPs idea of regulations...now, which candidate is currently for regulations...because as the example you provide shows, deregulation is a disaster..lesson learned, whew..ok, lets check stances now.

Just so you are actually clear, this is not deregulation. Deregulation would be letting the banks do what they wanted. This was forcing the banks to make a certain risky investment they had been avoiding like the plague. And to Buster, you don't think the banks were doing such with the Democrats blessing and even direction? The banks are not innocent, it just happens that they had an accomplice.

posted on Sep, 5 2012 @ 01:16 PM
link   
reply to post by OccamsRazor04

That's It,,, You're Correct and you must of read the articles or knew of the situation coming into this discussion.
The Banks Were Forced,,, No Bank Wants To Purposely Loss Money, ie: Not Make A Profit.

new topics

top topics

<< 1    3 >>

join