It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Labor Day Has Been Canceled

page: 1

join
share:
+3 more 
posted on Sep, 3 2012 @ 03:15 PM
link   

“Labor Day has been cancelled due to lack of jobs. Monday is now Empty Chair Day. Put an empty chair in your front yard.

12160.info...

This picture has a lot of meaning to it. This once great holiday (that we also celebrate in Canada, we call it Labour day) has gone the way of most of our other holidays, it no longer has any meaning, at least in my opinion.

Labor Day

I always considered this holiday as a time to celebrate the fruits of our labor and to give thanks for the opportunities we have been given to become providers. Regrettably, things aren't so great anymore. Unemployment is on the rise all over the world and the economy does not give much hope for the regular working person who wants to put food on the table and provide shelter and clothing and all other necessities for their family.

Whether we know it or not, we have allowed the Elite to gain a strangle hold on us so tight that there may never be any hope of returning to our illusion of freedom of competitive business.

Sorry I wish I could provide some solutions other than just provide this negative opinion of mine but I am feeling kind of defeated at the moment. I see highly skilled people who cannot find a job even though they have great work ethic and are willing to get their hands dirty so to speak and start at entry level positions.

I appreciate the intention of this holiday, but it should no longer apply until we actually fix the system and return it to what we believe it should stand for. Of course we all will have different views on how the system should be but any human with genuine, good intentions can probably find common ground when it comes to this view point.

Happy Labor Day

edit on 3-9-2012 by Corruption Exposed because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 3 2012 @ 03:20 PM
link   
And, of course, it's the Democrats' fault? I don't get it.

It's raining and I stubbed my toe! Damn you, Obama! You ruined my holiday!

posted on Sep, 3 2012 @ 03:25 PM
link   
reply to post by Benevolent Heretic

This was not a jab towards the democrats and I'm sorry that you see it that way.

This partisan divide between the people of North America is part of the problem. I can put any president from the last 50 years regardless of their party and the same could apply.

I avoid partisan debates as I consider them a waste of time and both parties represent the same evil and you will get screwed either way, but that is just my opinion right?

posted on Sep, 3 2012 @ 03:27 PM
link   
reply to post by Benevolent Heretic

It's way more simple than actually determining why you stubbed your toe and developing an appropriate response. I am not an Obama lover or hater, neither was I a Bush lover or hater. I just see the same stuff all the time.

BTW, I thought the picture was funny. Maybe if I was unemployed I would feel differently.

posted on Sep, 3 2012 @ 03:35 PM
link   
reply to post by Corruption Exposed

Unemployment rates are 8% right now, I would consider the improvement worth celebrating.

posted on Sep, 3 2012 @ 03:37 PM
link   

This was not a jab towards the democrats and I'm sorry that you see it that way.

I think, that if you don't want people to see it that way, then it would be best if you didn't explicitly single them out via the image you posted.

posted on Sep, 3 2012 @ 03:38 PM
link   
reply to post by TsukiLunar

May I please ask where you came up with this figure?

And are you aware that these figures are manipulated?

Two honest questions, no ill intentions whatsoever, I'm just curious.

posted on Sep, 3 2012 @ 03:39 PM
link   

Originally posted by Corruption Exposed

I guess it was the picture and the words that gave me that message.

I can put any president from the last 50 years regardless of their party and the same could apply.

If it was about the partisan divide, I would expect to see at least ONE person from the other party. This is the 3 top Democrats in the nation and the cancellation is signed by the president.

I don't see how I misinterpreted the photo, but I'll take your word for it.

I'm not defending Democrats, either.

posted on Sep, 3 2012 @ 03:43 PM
link   

May I please ask where you came up with this figure?

I googled it. I didn't just guess.

And are you aware that these figures are manipulated?

I am aware that there are a few ways in which to consider someone "unemployed", but traditionally people use the U3 and the U-4 and above seem to only come into play when people want to inflate the numbers with part-timers and such.

posted on Sep, 3 2012 @ 03:44 PM
link   
I can't believe you guys still believe in fake 2 parties system.

posted on Sep, 3 2012 @ 03:48 PM
link   

Originally posted by Trueman
I can't believe you guys still believe in fake 2 parties system.

Yes, yes, we are all sheep. This is repeated in every thread that is even remotely political. Baaah

posted on Sep, 3 2012 @ 03:54 PM
link   
reply to post by TsukiLunar

Thanks for the response

The "official" unemployment rate as of July 2012 was 8.3 percent, which is national. The individuals states obviously fluctuate. The same thing happens here in Canada, as our rates are also manipulated to influence public opinion around election time.

Take it for what it's worth:

'Real' Unemployment Rate Shows Far More Jobless

While the national unemployment rate paints a grim picture, a look at individual states and their so-called real jobless rates becomes even more troubling.

he government's most widely publicized unemployment rate measures only those who are out of a job and currently looking for work. It does not count discouraged potential employees who have quit looking, nor those who are underemployed — wanting to work full-time but forced to work part-time.

For that count, the government releases a separate number called the "U-6," which provides a more complete tally of how many people really are out of work.

The numbers in some cases are startling.

Consider: Nevada's U-6 rate is 22.1 percent, up from just 7.6 percent in 2007. Economically troubled California has a 20.3 percent real rate, while Rhode Island is at 18.3 percent, more than double its 8.3 percent rate in 2007.

Those numbers compare especially unfavorably to the national rate, high in itself at 14.9 percent though off its record peak of 17.2 percent in October 2009.

Only three states — Nebraska (9.1 percent), South Dakota (8.6 percent) and North Dakota (6.1 percent) — have U-6 rates under 10 percent, according to research from RBC Capital Markets.

Election battleground states paint a picture not much more flattering. Florida's U-6 number is an ugly 17 percent, though Pennsylvania and Ohio are both around 14 percent, below the national U-6 average.

posted on Sep, 3 2012 @ 04:11 PM
link   

Originally posted by TsukiLunar

I googled it. I didn't just guess.

Did you notice that Google has only a small American flag at the bottom of its homepage, which doesn't link to information about the holiday like usual? They made a bigger deal out of Picasso's birthday than Labor day!

posted on Sep, 3 2012 @ 04:18 PM
link   

Those numbers are still misleading. A stay at home mom would be counted among it. Part time workers, who are employed, but not full time workers would be counted. I assume that this would apply to even students. People who work under the table, like i do, would also be counted. It seems a bit odd to me to start using the u-6 because there is no telling what any of the data actually says.

It just gets messy when basing "unemployment rates" off of the U-6 data.

I am comfortable with the U-3's definition. People who are looking for work, get counted. I might be persuaded to count the u-4, but i think that is it.

posted on Sep, 4 2012 @ 12:39 AM
link   

I think George Ure has some interesting data to toss on this fire, pointing out what's been happening since 2008 when the "recession panic" gave employers an excuse to reduce labor, cut expenses and bank huge cash reserves.
urbansurvival.com...
The chance of companies voluntarily reversing this trend if or when the economy "recovers" are exactly zero. They are getting more for less.

posted on Sep, 4 2012 @ 01:58 AM
link   

Yeah I don't necessarily disagree with you but the picture is misleading. You could of picked MANY other pics that better represented the message you were trying to get across. As soon as I saw the pic, I thought it was going to
be an Obama-bashing thread. Not that there's anything wrong with that.
You have the right to talk about whatever you want to talk about.
But that's obviously that's not what you were doing.
Just throwing that out there

posted on Sep, 4 2012 @ 03:43 AM
link   
So has Thursday

posted on Sep, 4 2012 @ 06:24 AM
link   

Originally posted by Benevolent Heretic
And, of course, it's the Democrats' fault? I don't get it.

It's raining and I stubbed my toe! Damn you, Obama! You ruined my holiday!

This from someone who spent many, many years blaming everything on Republicans and Bush. You do know Democrats have been in charge, right? You do know Obama has been the president, right? That means they're to blame for what happens. I know your media covers up this fact, but try not to be so deluded.

top topics

join