It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

M U T A T I O N - Friend or Foe of Evolution?

page: 1
<<   2  3  4 >>

join
share:

posted on Sep, 3 2012 @ 01:44 AM
link   
Just a simple question:

If mutation is a friend of evolution why are people afraid of it?

Know what I mean?

Evolutionists keeps saying that -

"Mutations . . . are the basis of evolution,”

the raw materials” for evolution

necessary for "evolutionary progress.”

Then why be afraid of it?

edit on 3-9-2012 by edmc^2 because: hit enter too soon.

posted on Sep, 3 2012 @ 01:49 AM
link   
reply to post by edmc^2

Because it can go horribly horribly wrong, but usually its not even noticeable as a mutation.
edit on 3-9-2012 by TsukiLunar because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 3 2012 @ 01:52 AM
link   
reply to post by edmc^2

I would say we are not afraid of mutations but certain kinds of mutations. First, most cancers are caused by mutations of healthy cells. Secondly, we are afraid of viruses and bacteria mutating to become more resistant and/or more transmittable and/or more lethal. This is good for the viruses/bacteria but bad for us.

posted on Sep, 3 2012 @ 01:58 AM
link   

Originally posted by crazyguy2012
reply to post by edmc^2

I would say we are not afraid of mutations but certain kinds of mutations. First, most cancers are caused by mutations of healthy cells. Secondly, we are afraid of viruses and bacteria mutating to become more resistant and/or more transmittable and/or more lethal. This is good for the viruses/bacteria but bad for us.

OK - what mutations are you not afraid of?

posted on Sep, 3 2012 @ 01:59 AM
link   
it is as all things in nature good and bad, both in one, it can bring great
advantages and other times it can bring great disadvantage, i find it
odd that we as humans think there simply must always be semi simple
explanations for things. one of my all time favorite quotes deals with this.

"Everything is valuable under the right conditions. To a man dying of thirst,
water be more precious than gold. To a drowning man, water be of little worth
and great trouble." -Terry Goodkind.
edit on 3-9-2012 by bloodreviara because: spelling

posted on Sep, 3 2012 @ 02:03 AM
link   
reply to post by edmc^2

you are aware that mutations sometimes kill a lot of the species of animal it's mutating in. Its basically the only ones who have the correct genetic makeup to adapt correctly that survive it and sometimes it not always in the species best interest.
edit on 3-9-2012 by digital01anarchy because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 3 2012 @ 02:19 AM
link   

Originally posted by edmc^2

?

posted on Sep, 3 2012 @ 02:25 AM
link   
There are different kinds of mutations. To exemplify, one child can be born with orange eyes, and another child can be born with a third foot. The orange eye mutation will likely pass on because, let's face it, having orange eyes isn't THAT big of a deal. As for the third-foot mutation, who knows? By the process of natural selection, which we have moved beyond, perhaps the third foot gene could pass on if those with the mutant gene could surpass normal people in survivability.

Basically evolution just guesses at what will help us advance as a species; sometimes it hits, more often it misses. It's an endless process of trial an error, but it's really the only way to natural perfection and adaption.

posted on Sep, 3 2012 @ 02:26 AM
link   
reply to post by edmc^2

Because mothers and fathers, everywhere, want their children to look like them. They see "eternal life" in their children, so to speak.

Mutation, on the other hand ... makes your child, look nothing like you. And for thousands of years, parents have carried out their children who are mutated, and bashed them against rocks, and thrown into dykes. Today, they get an abortion.

It has nothing to do with, that mutation can go wrong ... it has to do with the fact, that while life seeks to evolve. We, as mankind, seek to stagnate. We seek to be what we are now, and never to change ... we seek to live forever, in the very image that we have now. Because we are afraid of change, because changes can mean, that WE are no longer at the top of the food chain.

We kill anything, we fear ...

That is why.

posted on Sep, 3 2012 @ 02:29 AM
link   

cuz it makes X-men.

and people will be afraid of x-men with big egos and a grudge.

but there will be good x-men to dampen the chaos and bring harmony.

all these superhero movies are psychologically prepping the masses for the second coming.
and christian fundamentalists are gonna prey on the mutants and mob them.
just like Christ was.

select few in the intelligence community understand that the true second coming is the coming of age of humanity where the shackles and bondage of mere flesh bodies is liberated through the planned metamorphosis into a new species with untold abilities and perceptions...

the first wave ill be the most glorious because they will have persevered the cutting edge and all it's obligatory stumblings, ostrisizations, witchhunts etc...

lol.. just think of it.. those that evolve and transcend first.. will be the victims of supposed followers of said messiah's own religion...

what a backward worlds... "you will be hated"....

posted on Sep, 3 2012 @ 02:38 AM
link   
Mutations are the building blocks for evolution (And sex and miotic recombination of course), but the bane for the individual.

It is as simple as that.

posted on Sep, 3 2012 @ 02:41 AM
link   
Evolution and mutation has always struck me as odd based on the following.

DNA and the human genome depending how you look at it can be upwards of 30 terabytes of data.

That's thirty trillion bytes.

Okay a mutation would be say one or two of those thirty trillion bytes being randomly altered.

And evolution would be those one or two byte of 30trillion causing an advantageous reaction instead of a horrible birth defect, say like what happens in numerous genetic defects.

Kinda strikes me as a freaking miracle we are even here and intelligent enough to even question it.
edit on 3-9-2012 by benrl because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 3 2012 @ 02:42 AM
link   
Mutation is a propaganda to support nuclear and bio weapons.

Wanna see real mutation ?

Search about agent orange , depleted Uranium used on Iraqis in the Gulf war.

Search about the consequences of Nuclear attack on Japan.

here is about agent orange :

www.abovetopsecret.com...

Good mutation is a Myth.

The people who feel that they have failed because of their lack of ability , follow this propaganda.
edit on 3-9-2012 by mideast because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 3 2012 @ 02:49 AM
link   

Just a simple question:

Know what I mean?

Evolutionists keeps saying that -

"Mutations . . . are the basis of evolution,”

the raw materials” for evolution

Why are you applying anthropomorphism to a theory? Evolution relies on mutation, yes, but mutation is also not its "friend" as neither are sentient beings.

Why fear mutation? If it gives you a benefit, cool. If it #s you over, not so cool. Read this for a primer, or better still seek the references.

en.wikipedia.org...

But as it lists: beneficial mutations and harmful mutations.

So for humans one beneficial mutation was Lactose tolerance, coupled with domestication of cows = food that you did not have to kill each day.
While one harmful one would be Haemophilia.

Perhaps this clears up your misconceptions?

posted on Sep, 3 2012 @ 03:29 AM
link   
I had to contemplate the question a bit, as I am not aware of being afraid of mutations of any kind!

Looking at the responses, I guess some might be afraid of mutations such as cancer, because it could lead to death of the biological container.

But even that, doesn't seem scary......unless every body had it and that meant no more containers would be available.... on earth... we'd have to go another planet.....

If some people are afraid of mutation, perhaps they are just afraid of change in general?
Or unaware of their being more than physical? Their connection to collective consciousness is sub-conscious?
I don't know. I am guessing.

posted on Sep, 3 2012 @ 03:46 AM
link   

Originally posted by mideast
Mutation is a propaganda to support nuclear and bio weapons.

Wanna see real mutation ?

Good mutation is a Myth.

Wow.. Talk about ignorance.. O_o You really need to learn about basic public school level genetics.

posted on Sep, 3 2012 @ 04:03 AM
link   
reply to post by bjarneorn

Mutation, on the other hand ... makes your child, look nothing like you.

Generally not. Hundreds of mutation take place between every generation and the next. All the time. Most of these mutations don't 'do anything' of any consequence. Occasionally a mutation will make the individual who carries that mutated gene unviable, either killing it before it can breed, or making it less successful at breeding. Occasionally a mutation will make the individual who carries that mutated gene more successful than its generational siblings who do not carry the mutation.

Sometimes those many many mutated genes that don't 'do anything' stay in the gene pool for many generations not doing anything, and then an environmental change suddenly makes it useful.

It is very seldom that a mutation, harmful or not, makes your child look radically different to you - at least more different than we are used to. Sure, once in a while, it does happen, but it is very very rare. Those tradgedies are no reason to 'fear' mutation. It is not something to be afraid of, it is just something that is, and you can't do anything about anymore than you can stop the tides.

Perhaps the 'fear' comes from the fear of birth defects that are caused by toxins like radiation, cigarette smoke, or powerful drugs damaging large sections of DNA, not changing a little bit here or there. Such environmental damage to the DNA is not 'mutation', that is gamete poisoning. Of course such environmental damage may present itself as a harmless mutation, or a tragic defect. That is certainly something to fear.

posted on Sep, 3 2012 @ 04:10 AM
link   
reply to post by edmc^2

Simply put, we should be afraid of the "bad mutations". Evolution only works because some mutations are beneficial... but most are bad. That's why it takes so long, over many generations. The "good mutations" obviously aren't things anyone should be afraid of.

posted on Sep, 3 2012 @ 04:13 AM
link   
"Mutation" can be something subtle as bringing about a darker skin color, different hair color, bigger head, lighter/brighter fur, larger eyes, more/less hair ETC ETC ETC. thousands of smaller things.

It's elementary for evolution.

I don't know what you are talking about when you say "why are you afraid of mutation?"...unless you think about Hollywood horror movies when you talk about mutation.

posted on Sep, 3 2012 @ 04:33 AM
link   
If I were Mr. Evolution....

Lets say, I run Walmart... but instead I also manufacture all the goods as well. I'm sitting here, business as usual... making the same old crap that just adapts to the market. Every once in a while, introduce a new product line. Then all of a sudden, some idiot down at quality control allowed one to get by him. There is your mutation... that brand new TV with a broken button, an extra button or maybe some crazy programming.

Foe of Evolution!

Now... I have to pay for customer service employees to fix the mistake with either a new TV or a refund and a smile!

Now the question is:

E V O L U T I O N - Friend or Foe of Universe?

Or better yet...

U N I V E R S E - Friend or Foe of Man?
edit on 3-9-2012 by FractalChaos13242017 because: additional comment

top topics

<<   2  3  4 >>

join