It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Unexplainable "Sky" Noise in Edmonton. (Sept 1st)

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Sep, 3 2012 @ 12:05 AM
link   
Greetings ATS,

I would like to start this thread by saying that the noise that I heard last night was not like any noise I have heard before. I will try to give as much detail as possible off the start, but I anyone has further questions, please ask away. The sky was overcast, there was minimal rain falling, and a slight wind blowing the tree's outside.

Last-night just prior to midnight I was sleeping, when my husband came into the room and woke me up, he asked me right away if I could hear a high pitched humming noise. After listening for a few minutes I thought I began to hear something coming from outside the window. I moved from my bedroom to the kitchen where I began to hear the noise more clearly. When moving over to my window I was shocked as to how loud it actually was, coming from outside, it sounded like it was everywhere. I notice that our cat was looking up at the ceiling, confused and ears perked.

As I was about to go outside and investigate, my 2 year old daughter woke up crying, although she has a sound machine in her bedroom and her window was shut the sound could be heard softly in her room. At this point in time my husband decided to go for a drive to see if he could find an apparent "source". While he was gone, and my daughter was soothed back to sleep, I grabbed my camera and recorded roughly 2 minutes of the sound. Unfortunately the video does not capture just how loud the sound really was. You can clearly hear the rain coming down the drainpipe outside the window. At one point midway through the video a plane does fly by. You can hear it fade in and out. The humming sound never seemed to moved position throughout the entire event.

When my husband returned he told me that he drove to a local coffee shop, 5 blocks west and 9 blocks North (roughly) and he could still clearly hear the sound. But by the time he returned it had finally stopped, abruptly, without actually fading out. I witnessed approximately 20 minutes of the sound event, where-as he states it was more like 40 minutes from when he first heard it (before waking me up) to the end of the sound.

So tell me ATS, ever heard anything like this? What is your take on the noise, is it something that can be rationally explained or is it some bizarre phenomenon. You be the judge. Me... my husband... we can agree that we have never heard anything like it before.

A few minutes ago I visited this thread www.abovetopsecret.com... and realized that this sound does kind of remind me of these Tibetan singing bowls. Weird.

edit on 3/9/2012 by TheSparrowSings because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 3 2012 @ 12:15 AM
link   
Wow, I could definitely hear the sound in your video, nice job. Now, I just wonder what the heck it is. Did you have any physical sensations while the sound was going? How would one go about tracking that sound's source while it was active? Any sound experts around? Thanks for sharing

posted on Sep, 3 2012 @ 12:17 AM
link   
I heard a bird toward the end, I heard a gentle rain or perhaps garden waterfall (you said rain so must be rain), I heard bamboo or light wood chimes, I heard a plane, and either a Tibetan singing bowl or OTHER aircraft or table saw throughout.

posted on Sep, 3 2012 @ 12:21 AM
link   
reply to post by Gumerk

No physical sensations, just confusion on my behalf. I figure it would be hard to track the location of a sound but I don't really know if this way a "sky" sound or more localized. I asked a few friends in the building and one who lives east of me if they heard it as well. No one can confirm. One person was asleep (although he stated prior to my story about the sound that he had a rough time sleeping that night due to frightening dreams) Another was at work and unable to hear anything. The friend who lives east of me was awake and heard nothing. So it makes me wonder if it was more localized of a sound.

posted on Sep, 3 2012 @ 12:23 AM
link   

Originally posted by Trexter Ziam
I heard a bird toward the end, I heard a gentle rain or perhaps garden waterfall (you said rain so must be rain), I heard bamboo or light wood chimes, I heard a plane, and either a Tibetan singing bowl or OTHER aircraft or table saw throughout.

The bird was most likely my cat, who jumped up in front of the camera. A Tibetan singing bowl, interesting analogy, their are multiple sounds throughout which include a plane but the one that is questionable is the high pitched hum.

posted on Sep, 3 2012 @ 12:34 AM
link   
TheSparrowSings
Very interesting video i have no idea what the humming sound is but its very eerie..There is so many things going on in the world right now..I heard a sound one time were i live and it sounded like a low vibration similar to a truck that was idling it went on for about 10 mins and i live way out in the woods no trucks out were i am..Maybe its just the earth trying to give us some kind of warning..peace,sugarcookie1 S&F

posted on Sep, 3 2012 @ 12:45 AM
link   
reply to post by sugarcookie1

Thanks for the reply. It must have been strange hearing a noise out where you live, if you are in the middle of nowhere-land. Do you live near a seismically active zone? If I ever heard a low rumble where I live I would probably freak out. Because there would be absolutely no reason for a earthly growl to come from under my feet here. We are seismically stable. I have been wondering if there is a correlation between some sounds and the Earth's electromagnetic field. Looked to see if there was a geomagnetic storm last-night but levels where low. Higher tonight.

posted on Sep, 3 2012 @ 01:16 AM
link   
reply to post by TheSparrowSings

TheSparrowSings
It was very strange to hear that noise out here I'm not in a seismically active zone just like you..What i heard sounded like it came from the sky it went on to long to be a plane and i live so far out in the woods there is no truck engines anywhere near me not like this anyhow this engine noise sounded like it would have to be a huge truck..
My take on it its a bizarre phenomenon and many have heard the same thing around the world and i find it worrisome,But i only heard this one time and never again since that time and I'm glad of it
peace,sugarcookie1

posted on Sep, 3 2012 @ 01:41 AM
link   
I live in Edmonton and was awake at that time, that evening, and didn't hear anything (Had my window open as well). I would suggest it was probably some sort of industrial equipment within your area.

posted on Sep, 3 2012 @ 02:05 AM
link   

Originally posted by DeadSeraph
I live in Edmonton and was awake at that time, that evening, and didn't hear anything (Had my window open as well). I would suggest it was probably some sort of industrial equipment within your area.

Industrial equipment at 1 am? I guess it is always possible but I would assume bylaw prevents the use of such devices at night-time. I would have had to have been pretty close by, somewhere within a 10 block radius each direction. I will have to look into potential construction in the area.

posted on Sep, 3 2012 @ 02:15 AM
link   

Originally posted by TheSparrowSings

Originally posted by DeadSeraph

Industrial equipment at 1 am? I guess it is always possible but I would assume bylaw prevents the use of such devices at night-time. I would have had to have been pretty close by, somewhere within a 10 block radius each direction. I will have to look into potential construction in the area.

There is no such bylaw that I know of (in regards to workers). I live close to the CN rail station and the municipal airport and there is constantly loud industrial type sounds where I live late at night. Nothing really unusual about it. Perhaps in your area, that is not the case. But that doesn't necessarily mean it was coming from the "sky". It could just as well be equipment running nearby for a temporary project of some sort.

Not trying to say you didn't hear what you think you did, I'm just implying that I didn't hear anything unusual that evening so whatever it was, it was localized to your neighborhood.

posted on Sep, 3 2012 @ 02:45 AM
link   
reply to post by DeadSeraph

Thanks for your opinion. I don't really know if it was coming from the sky either. Which is why I put it in quotations. Sounds like you don't live far from me. I actually had thought it might be coming from the direction of CN Rail at first. So you say you hear alot of industrial noise, does this one remind you of any you have heard? I am just really curious, not claiming it was some bizarre phenomenon, just looking for some rational answers.

By talking with you, and others from Edmonton, plus given the location my husband traveled to and still heard the noise it seems logical to deduce it may have been somewhere in the Greisbach area. And although it didn't seem like it was coming from the North, I won't rule out the base either.

posted on Sep, 3 2012 @ 02:59 AM
link   
Don't know if it's the same but iv'e heard electrical sounds like a transformer, very noticeable late at night,a very low decibel humming noise that pulsates..
edit on 3-9-2012 by all2human because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 3 2012 @ 03:02 AM
link   

Originally posted by TheSparrowSings
reply to post by DeadSeraph

Thanks for your opinion. I don't really know if it was coming from the sky either. Which is why I put it in quotations. Sounds like you don't live far from me. I actually had thought it might be coming from the direction of CN Rail at first. So you say you hear alot of industrial noise, does this one remind you of any you have heard? I am just really curious, not claiming it was some bizarre phenomenon, just looking for some rational answers.

By talking with you, and others from Edmonton, plus given the location my husband traveled to and still heard the noise it seems logical to deduce it may have been somewhere in the Greisbach area. And although it didn't seem like it was coming from the North, I won't rule out the base either.

I've definitely heard some really loud, seemingly strange sounds coming from the rail station. I even thought about recording some of them and making a "strange sounds" video to post on youtube, just to poke fun (I'm a skeptic on the issue). I have definitely heard things like this coming from the rail station late at night that can last for quite some time.

posted on Sep, 3 2012 @ 03:18 AM
link   
reply to post by all2human

I listened to some videos of electrical transformers after your post and it does kind of sound like that, without the crackling mind you, it has a sort of high voltage ring. Interesting comparison and probably one of the best logical explanations given my position in the city. Thanks for the reply and your insight.

posted on Sep, 3 2012 @ 09:55 AM
link   
It sounded creepy! I just wanted to let you know that if I heard that then I would've been freaking out too. It must've been strange in person, to send your husband out looking for a source. I live a few blocks from a train station so I hear all kinds of bangs and other spunds, but nothing like that, NOTHING AT ALL.... Hey, deadseraph, I'd love to hear a video of your train station sounds, you know, for scientific purposes. It might help some people rule out some things if they have a "strange sound" encounter...

posted on Sep, 3 2012 @ 12:51 PM
link   
reply to post by TheSparrowSings

Talk to your neighbors, see if they heard anything similar. If they heard something similar to what you heard, then you can communicate with eachother and work together to figure out what it is. Im sure they are just as curious as you.

posted on Sep, 3 2012 @ 08:27 PM
link   
Smart thinking getting this sound captured
If it was me I would take this to a local TV station and see it they would put it on the evening news as I'm sure others would have the same question as to what it is / was. If this is a man made sound someone knows exactly what it is and will probably not have an issue commenting on it. It has to be a pretty weird unsettling experience but also exciting at the same time to hear something like that live.

posted on Sep, 4 2012 @ 12:54 AM
link   
Well I haven't been talking to many neighbors. Just several friends and a few people I am familiar with in the building. According to the people who live east and south of my location heard nothing. According to my husband the sound was just as loud where he went as it was hear. And he was further north-west than I was. About 7 blocks west and 9 blocks north. Everyone in my building who I spoke to heard nothing, because they where asleep.

Tonight I had my father listen to this. After hearing it he told me that it sounded vaguely like what it sounds underneath high voltage lines. Believe me, there are none of those over my head. My husband is a truck driver, has worked road and construction sites, and has been around lots of heavy loud machines. My father works for a gas company and has spent many years out in the fields. Dealing with gas leak emergency. Now, both of them said that the only noise they could liken it to was a hydro-vac truck. But having been around those trucks many times the sound, to continue for 40 mins straight, would mean they where running it FULL REV for that long. Most times you run that truck you run it full for 3-4 minutes then let off. My father's final answer was it sounded electromagnetic.

Because I am a wee bit OCD when it comes to information, I am going to make a general map image of how far I believe the sound traveled and try to figure out a source point. I will post when done.

ps- I am loving to feedback everybody. Thanks.

posted on Sep, 4 2012 @ 01:02 AM
link   

Originally posted by 3n19m470
I live a few blocks from a train station so I hear all kinds of bangs and other spunds, but nothing like that, NOTHING AT ALL....

I actually live just south of the CN rail-line here and I have heard trains shunting. The screeching, banging noises they make. Sounds nothing like this, I completely agree,

top topics

<<   2 >>

join