It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

World's largest cosmic ray observatory to be built in Siberia

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Sep, 2 2012 @ 05:48 PM
link   

World's largest cosmic ray observatory to be built in Siberia

rt.com

Russian and German scientists have kicked off an ambitious plan to create a massive Gamma Ray Observatory in the heart of Siberia in hopes of unlocking the manifold secrets of the Universe.

The cost of the new observatory is estimated at $46.5 million, and will take an estimated 10 years to complete.
(visit the link for the full news article)

Related News Links:
www.newswhip.com

posted on Sep, 2 2012 @ 05:48 PM
link   
This is all to study cosmic radiation, to get new information about the past, present, and future of the universe.

What can we learn about our past? What will we find out about our future?

Interesting to those who like reading about space, and physics. Thought I'd post this because it will be the LARGEST cosmic observatory.

rt.com
(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on Sep, 2 2012 @ 06:04 PM
link   
Interesting news. Also a great location. Away from the EM of modern society's power grid and other interferences. Also the Price is right for what it will consist of. I wouldn't doubt thought that there will be massive Cost overruns in a project of that nature.

posted on Sep, 2 2012 @ 06:25 PM
link   
reply to post by Pegasus2000

Arguchintsev said. He expects one square kilometer to be covered in 2013-2014, over 10 square kilometers by 2016, with the project’s expansion to move along at a similar pace until its completion.

Continuous growth over the years. I believe this observatory will be around for much longer than the one before it (Tunka-133 telescope.)

posted on Sep, 2 2012 @ 06:26 PM
link   
That is very exciting to hear. Two reasons, really... First, it's always good news to hear about another major piece of equipment being built which stands separate from existing control and networks. I mean it's not merely another element to the VLA or the like, so sounds like a source for new data and independent confirmation or..when needed..debunking of something the other sites may see in the future.

..and I can't help this observation (no pun intended) but if Putin is willing to support this in a nation where they don't have a flood of spare rubles, it means he's thinking well beyond the immediate world concerns. Given the uncertain nature, without detailing what isn't this thread....It's just reassuring to see the direction of thinking, in at least this much. Indeed... The more the merrier is my feeling for the great sky watch!

Maybe they find the big "OH!" of whatever it turns out to be for the first discovery in that direction.

posted on Sep, 2 2012 @ 06:35 PM
link   
reply to post by Wrabbit2000

To bad it will be a few years before we get any information out of the observatory, From here on out its just construction. Can't wait until its finally finished, and the expedition begins.

posted on Sep, 2 2012 @ 07:03 PM
link   
Glad to see nations are investing in projects such as these, reminds us of our nature born state of curiosity.
We are destined to unlock the secrets of the universe.

posted on Sep, 2 2012 @ 08:50 PM
link   
reply to post by Arnie123

The advancements in technology will only bring us closer to what we really want to know.

Time will tell.

posted on Sep, 3 2012 @ 12:32 AM
link   
reply to post by A51TR3B

Yeah...or maybe somthing we did'nt wanna know, *shudders*

join