It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

FLOTUS Michelle Obama Prepares Course on How To Shop for Groceries

page: 1
<<   2  3  4 >>

join
share:

posted on Sep, 2 2012 @ 08:50 AM
link   
Seriously??? You all in the White House think grown up Americans want your instructions to us on how to grocery shop?? Who the heck do you think you are? Nanny state gone wild!

FLOTUS Prepares Course on How to Shop for Groceries

First Lady Michelle Obama wants to help Americans figure out how to navigate their local grocery stores.

As part of another initiative to get Americans to eat less and better, Mrs. Obama launched an online course called “Supermarket Shopping 101,” which aims to nudge shoppers toward more government-preferred choices.

Cookies, snacks and soda do not appear among the preferred items, as the letsmove site instructs shoppers to “steer clear” of them.

Daily Mail UK Online
CNS News

All links to the 'How to shop for Groceries' course set up by FLOTUS Michelle fail to link. I don't know if they were not there in the first place .. OR ... if the link is just a bad one and there really is a course .... OR .... if it was taken down because they realized that it was insane to be telling grown people how to shop for groceries.

posted on Sep, 2 2012 @ 08:58 AM
link   
reply to post by FlyersFan

Perhaps the Junk Food Corps that sell all this poisonous 'food' got a little upset at the Obama's attacking their bottom line?

IRM

posted on Sep, 2 2012 @ 09:00 AM
link   
Does Michelle buy Barack his smokes?

Just asking? Or is that a Secret Service task?

posted on Sep, 2 2012 @ 09:12 AM
link   

posted on Sep, 2 2012 @ 09:15 AM
link   

Seriously??? You all in the White House think grown up Americans want your instructions to us on how to grocery shop?? Who the heck do you think you are? Nanny state gone wild!

I think you are blowing this out of proportion. She sounds more like a mother trading shopping advice than some kind of dictator.

My mom and her friends do similar stuff all the time. So much so that i suspect she would hold entire press conferences, if she had the box to stand on, about her shopping habits.

posted on Sep, 2 2012 @ 09:18 AM
link   
Well, shopping instructions is surely [color=limegreen]better than what potential first lady Romney would be writing about... she would be writing about how HARD it is watching all her several paid nannys and servants take care of all her chores and parenting duties.

...AND writting about how HARD it is watching her servants do all the [color=limegreen]GROCERY SHOPPING for her!!

edit on 2-9-2012 by HangTheTraitors because: (no reason given)

link   

Are you seriously ranting about this? I don't recall Nancy Regan getting lambasted for her "just say no" campaign against drugs; nor do I recall Laura Bush being chastised for her literacy campaign. Both of which are/were good causes. Michelle Obama encouraging folks to be conscience of the foods they eat is just as worth of a cause.

However, if one chooses to get high, be illiterate and/or overweight, then all they must do is ignore the message and continue living their life as they see fit. There is no need to speak out to others about how you disapprove; what exactly do you wish to accomplish by doing so?

link   
Shouldn't she address the fact that people don't have money to buy groceries first?

posted on Sep, 2 2012 @ 09:19 AM
link   
To me this smacks of the further dumbing-down in this country.

Not content to achieve the mind-control methods in public schools...now they attempt to benignly suggest that American citizens don't know how to eat or shop.
Please

As long as Americans are told that highly-processed vegetable oils and excess processed carbs and sugars are okay....Americans will continue to succumb to dietary-related diseases and obesity.

And, far to many Americans have little time to shop or cook with their work schedules, I'm sure.

FTR, some of these recipes aren't TOO bad, though
www.letsmove.gov...

posted on Sep, 2 2012 @ 09:20 AM
link   
Looks to me like she's offering tips, not exactly standing in the grocery aisles blocking people.

Her tips seem good advice to me.

posted on Sep, 2 2012 @ 09:21 AM
link   

Originally posted by FlyersFan
Seriously???

Are YOU serious? You're ragging on Michelle for putting information out there for people who might want it on how to shop healthier? No one HAS to read it or take the course (if there really is one). It's INFORMATION! And good stuff at that.

You wouldn't believe how many people have whacked ideas about food and what's healthy and what's not. I can see young wives and mothers and single men especially benefiting from this. I can't believe you think this is a problem. I can't understand why people think that Michelle's efforts toward a healthier youth are a problem. Do you KNOW the rates of childhood obesity and diabetes in this country?

I am a great shopper. I rarely venture into the inner aisles of the store, but believe it or not, not everyone is as knowledgeable about food as you or I. And if the First Lady can help people, why shouldn't she? No one is being forced to take this course.

There are MANY people out there who put "how to" courses on the Internet. Are they part of the "nanny state", too? Is food labeling "nanny state"?

posted on Sep, 2 2012 @ 09:23 AM
link   
I wonder..... Was she buying groceries in Chicago when Barack was a US Senator? Perhaps...when he was in the Statehouse?

This 'aww shucks' routine to act like the common person is really cute, being on the eve of the DNC and the following re-election, but Michelle Obama knows as much about Grocery Shopping in recent years as I do about running the White House. Last I checked, the First Family not only never has to worry about such petty things as shopping for dinner...they don't cook it either. They have World Class kitchen staff at their disposal for whatever whims they demand any time of the day or night.

This strikes me as about as sincere as her run out to do a little shopping at Target...with photo crews in tow awhile back.

Imelda Marco.....err.....Michelle...Can at least stop insulting us by acting like she's 'just like us'. We can't take multi-million dollar junket trips on a whim as an Official "Ambassador" of the United States, as the First Lady Officially travels as when on business. We can't take multi-million dollar vacations whenever the mood strikes us or take a different flight for hundreds of thousands of dollars to the same vacation because her and Barack's schedules conflict by a whole day.

At least Marie Antoinette didn't play like she was a commoner...As I understand my history, she was fairly up front about living a life few 'subjects' could ever dream of knowing. Michelle lives the same...just acts like we're too simple minded to realize it.
Insults don't win re-elections for her Husband, IMO.

posted on Sep, 2 2012 @ 09:24 AM
link   
reply to post by DontTreadOnMe

To me this smacks of the further dumbing-down in this country.

I am sorry, but the first lady writes articles about shopping, stuff almost no one will read unless you happen to be interested in that sort of thing, and its an example of "the dumbing-down of this country"?

edit on 2-9-2012 by TsukiLunar because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 2 2012 @ 09:24 AM
link   

Originally posted by Benevolent Heretic

Originally posted by FlyersFan
Seriously???

Are YOU serious? You're ragging on Michelle for putting information out there for people who might want it on how to shop healthier? No one HAS to read it or take the course (if there really is one). It's INFORMATION! And good stuff at that.

You wouldn't believe how many people have whacked ideas about food and what's healthy and what's not. I can see young wives and mothers and single men especially benefiting from this. I can't believe you think this is a problem. I can't understand why people think that Michelle's efforts toward a healthier youth are a problem. Do you KNOW the rates of childhood obesity and diabetes in this country?

I am a great shopper. I rarely venture into the inner aisles of the store, but believe it or not, not everyone is as knowledgeable about food as you or I. And if the First Lady can help people, why shouldn't she? No one is being forced to take this course.

There are MANY people out there who put "how to" courses on the Internet. Are they part of the "nanny state", too? Is food labeling "nanny state"?

Its just Right-winger-desperation at FULL THROTTLE. They KNOW they are GONNA LOSE this November and are trying EVERYTHING to smear their opponents side including the UTMOST OF SILLINESS in hopes of swaying anyone who is on the fence of who to pick this November.

This nonsense from these Right-wingers is getting more HUMOROUS and SILLIER by the DAY.

posted on Sep, 2 2012 @ 09:25 AM
link   

Originally posted by HangTheTraitors
Well, shoopping instructions is surely [color=limegreen]better than what potential first lady Romney would be writing about... she would be writing about how HARD it is watching all her several paid nannys and servants take care of all her chores and parenting duties.

...AND writting about how HARD it is watching her servants do all the [color=limegreen]GROCERY SHOPPING for her!!

I saw an interview last night - she (Mrs. Romney) HAS NO SERVANTS OR NANNIES - never has. Even during the roughest of times when her health was failing her - Mitt pitched in as did the boys..............do your homework please.
edit on 2-9-2012 by de_Genova because: add info

posted on Sep, 2 2012 @ 09:27 AM
link   

posted on Sep, 2 2012 @ 09:31 AM
link   

posted on Sep, 2 2012 @ 09:37 AM
link   
Unfortunately...there are many people who really do make poor food choices... and really don't shop wisely.

I applaud the First Lady (Michelle Obama) for trying to help.

posted on Sep, 2 2012 @ 09:40 AM
link   

Originally posted by de_Genova

Originally posted by de_Genova

Well, shoopping instructions is surely [color=limegreen]better than what potential first lady Romney would be writing about... she would be writing about how HARD it is watching all her several paid nannys and servants take care of all her chores and parenting duties.

I saw an interview last night - she HAS NO SERVANTS OR NANNIES - never has. Even during the roughest of time when her health was failing her...............do your homework please.

That.

Is.

Incorrect.

Try again.

YOU ARE A SMEAR ARTIST
You are making stuff up - as in liar..............and that's something Mrs Romney surely is not !!!

Oh really?

How about asking some of their domestic helpers about that then? Ask Rosania, or Kelli, or Susan or Valerie or...

Are you saying these ARE FAKE PEOPLE? His 2010 disclosure says you are WRONG!!!!!

Wonder why he isnt releasing THE REST of his recent years???? You'll find MANY more I am betting...

posted on Sep, 2 2012 @ 09:43 AM
link   
I don't think I have ever said this before on ATS, but I take offense to this personally.

I'm an Executive Chef for a Hotel/Conference Center and I also do all of my purchasing from a wide variety of vendors. So I know a thing or two about buying food, how to get your best deal for a buck and what's in most of the food.

There are so many choices at the stores these days that you have to know where to look for the best deals, the healthiest alternatives and the best time to get such items. If you are serious about eating healthy and saving money, then knowing your local shops is very important.

Side note: Saving money is my motivation. I don't eat as healthy as I should.

So I think it is pretty cool that MO is taking her position as first lady and using it to pass along knowledge that matters to the everyday American. She's not spending her time trying to save the planet from some "evil Republican plot".....she's showing people how to do something tangible.

Just because Obama is the president and we may disagree with him, does not mean we have to nit-pick every action to death. They are human as well.

new topics

top topics

<<   2  3  4 >>

join