It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Why Aren't There More Recognized Women Composers ?

page: 2
<< 1   >>

join
share:

posted on Aug, 30 2012 @ 07:46 PM
link   

Originally posted by ANOK

Also women that are cute, and can sing, are more likely to gain industry interest than a women who is more homely but can write amazing songs.

That's why Stefani Joanne Angelina Germanotta ditched the "singer songwriter with a piano" act and became Lady Gaga, rather like Brian Warner was an unhappy journalist poet who became Marilyn Manson and turned his poems into songs.

posted on Aug, 30 2012 @ 07:47 PM
link   
reply to post by ANOK

Couldn't have said it better

posted on Aug, 30 2012 @ 07:57 PM
link   
Great, now it looks like we are overreacting because initially the thread title was more along the lines of "Why aren't women good composers".

posted on Aug, 30 2012 @ 08:04 PM
link   

Originally posted by jeantherapy
Great, now it looks like we are overreacting because initially the thread title was more along the lines of "Why aren't women good composers".

Sorry for that. I don't think it diminishes what has been said already.

Just didn't want to come across as attacking women, which was not my intention

Some good replies so far - thanks

posted on Aug, 30 2012 @ 09:41 PM
link   

Originally posted by jeantherapy
reply to post by mythos

I love Poe and her album Haunted. Please tell me you have read House of Leaves, her brother's novel. (some of which you would already be familiar with by listening to Haunted)

i have not read House of Leaves, though i am familiar with it from her references to it on Haunted, and her liner notes. i believe the crazy poem read during the "Hey Pretty" remix at the end of the album is by her brother. i think he even reads it on the recording.

i never read the book, as the album is so rather heavy (despite being f@cking awesome), but i suppose i should check it out. thanks for the impetus!

i didn't realize it was a novel. i think i always assumed it was a collection of poems.

PS Rolling Stone gave the album 2 stars back in the day, which bothers me to this day, as i think it is one of the better concept albums ever created.

PPS i have a drumstick of POE's that an ex-girlfriend caught at a concert in Phoenix... which i then abruptly stole from her!

posted on Aug, 31 2012 @ 01:27 AM
link   
reply to post by mythos

He was actually reading an excerpt from the novel itself. I know a collection of letters pertaining to the novel was published separately (The Whalestone letters I believe) and the author's next novel was told through a series of letters or poems, I haven't read that one. House of Leaves however is one of my favorite works of fiction - it's a mystery/horror novel but it is so layered that calling it simply a horror novel doesn't even begin to cover it.

posted on Sep, 1 2012 @ 01:03 AM
link   
reply to post by jeantherapy

Lol, i just realized it said composers.. Some reason i figured that meant song writers?

Either way, i love missy!

posted on Sep, 17 2012 @ 07:14 PM
link   
"Jack Killed Mom" by Jenny Lewis just came on my playlist and I had to resurrect this here thread. Please give it a listen, as well as "Next Messiah" by Jenny Lewis, these songs are amazing!

<< 1   >>

join