It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Why Aren't There More Recognized Women Composers ?

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Aug, 30 2012 @ 06:44 PM
link   
Ok Ok, before you divas flame me, I recognize there are many good female musicians past and present who could write and perform great music. Artists who instantly come to mind and who I enjoy listening to would be

PJ Harvey
Dido
Janis Joplin
Shakira
Gwen Stefani
Nelly Furtado
Tori Amos
Bjork
Sia
Kate Bush

But, when you really look at the whole music scene, across all genres, it’s the guys that do most of the composing and the women do the singing. Why is this ? I have always found this intriguing.

A good example to illustrate my point is that of Imogen Heap and her former band Frou Frou. From what I can see her musical partner Guy Sigsworth wrote the music and she performed it. Amazing voice and an amazing debut album. She went solo after this and released her own album. It was good but didn’t come close to matching the quality of the other work.

Any suggestions ? I’m all ears.

I’ll leave you with a vid, to let this question sink in. Goldfrapp – Dude does most of the composing . Alison the vocals. Brilliant combo !

Peace - Ned

edit on 30-8-2012 by nimbinned because: change of subject headline to fit thread

posted on Aug, 30 2012 @ 06:47 PM
link   
reply to [url= by nimbinned[/url]

*snip*

what does negative attention do for you?
edit on 8/30/2012 by kinglizard because: removed antithesis for more negativity.

edit on 8/30/2012 by kinglizard because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 30 2012 @ 06:52 PM
link   

posted on Aug, 30 2012 @ 06:54 PM
link   
reply to post by nimbinned

In all honesty most of those women never actually wrote their music , and probably a quarter of that list dont even write their own lyrics.

Probably something in the brain chemistry that most women don't have...

And now let the hate come from my comment

edit on 30/8/12 by freedomSlave because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 30 2012 @ 06:58 PM
link   
Hmmm...

Being female, this thread does not insult me in anyway

However, I do believe that YES there are more male artists creating their own music or lyrics or what have you. Truly there are amazing female artists past and present with such a gift but I think in today's society, sex sells.

I think talented musical writers look for the next pretty face with an amazing voice to sing his lyrics and crosses his fingers in hopes that this combination sells.

But that's just my opinion

posted on Aug, 30 2012 @ 06:58 PM
link   
It all depends on your definition of good.

I can think of 100 punk rock bands with female vocalists who write their own music and lyrics. To most of the general public I assume it is just noise.

posted on Aug, 30 2012 @ 06:59 PM
link   
Sexual equality is a pretty new concept, so many fields were male dominated for much of history. I would not expect a few years of progress to nullify that.

posted on Aug, 30 2012 @ 07:01 PM
link   

Originally posted by nimbinned

Shakira
Gwen Stefani
Nelly Furtado

No wonder you think women can't write music. Two of my current favorite musicians are women, Jenny Lewis and Maria Taylor. And weren't some of Elvis Presley's songs written by women?

posted on Aug, 30 2012 @ 07:03 PM
link   
Missy elliot...she writes some good songs.

posted on Aug, 30 2012 @ 07:04 PM
link   

Originally posted by Elton
List of female composers by name

So tell me Elton, who are your favourites from that list ?

2nd.............

posted on Aug, 30 2012 @ 07:05 PM
link   
reply to post by showintail

'Elliott is known for a series of hits and diverse music videos, including "The Rain (Supa Dupa Fly)", "Hot Boyz", "Get Ur Freak On", "One Minute Man", "4 My People", "Work It", "Pass That Dutch", and "Lose Control"'

lol I especially like the song title pass that dutch.

posted on Aug, 30 2012 @ 07:06 PM
link   

Originally posted by DocHolidaze
reply to [url= by nimbinned[/url]

*snip*

what does negative attention do for you?
edit on 8/30/2012 by kinglizard because: removed antithesis for more negativity.

Not trolling. Not my scene. Simply making an observation.

If I can be convinced otherwise, I would be happy with that.

*Ned

posted on Aug, 30 2012 @ 07:12 PM
link   
there are countless talented female song-writers, which should be obvious. do some research... check out your local talent.

but seeing how the recording industry is controlled by men, of course we are inundated with a sausage fest.

anyhow, check out POE. she is bad-a$$. "Haunted" is a masterpiece.

posted on Aug, 30 2012 @ 07:13 PM
link   

Originally posted by Xquizit
Hmmm...

Being female, this thread does not insult me in anyway

However, I do believe that YES there are more male artists creating their own music or lyrics or what have you. Truly there are amazing female artists past and present with such a gift but I think in today's society, sex sells.

I think talented musical writers look for the next pretty face with an amazing voice to sing his lyrics and crosses his fingers in hopes that this combination sells.

But that's just my opinion

So do you think the music industry in general is sexist or even misogynistic, so women aren't recognized for their abilities to compose music, rather expected to just be pretty and stand in front of the band and sing ??

Peace

posted on Aug, 30 2012 @ 07:22 PM
link   
I'd blame it on them being forced to write songs that they are "supposed" to sing. Its just what mass media expects, get with the program or no play time for you. Its the same with everything.

posted on Aug, 30 2012 @ 07:27 PM
link   
reply to post by mythos

I love Poe and her album Haunted. Please tell me you have read House of Leaves, her brother's novel. (some of which you would already be familiar with by listening to Haunted)

posted on Aug, 30 2012 @ 07:28 PM
link   
reply to post by nimbinned

Note at all.

But sadly in this day and age, I find the younger generations (more so now) could care less if the artist has written his or her lyrics, as long as its a "good toon". They lack the ability to appreciate real, raw talent, as I used too. I have two teenage sons at home, who would rather watch videos of Taylor Swift and or the Pussycat dolls, instead of watching Aretha Franlkin or Celine Dion or even Lady Gaga. Lol

I can't count on my hands how often I've heard teenagers say... "this song sucks, but awe man... She's hot".

But again, these are my opinions, from what I've observed first hand

posted on Aug, 30 2012 @ 07:30 PM
link   
reply to post by Xquizit

Hey when it comes to Celine Dion I am right there with your kids... though I do get your message and agree with it. Most of this "music" ( I call it club noise) kids listen to is so overtly sexual I am glad I don't have young children. Especially Lady Gaga, whom you mentioned as well.

posted on Aug, 30 2012 @ 07:32 PM
link   

Originally posted by mythos
there are countless talented female song-writers, which should be obvious. do some research... check out your local talent.

but seeing how the recording industry is controlled by men, of course we are inundated with a sausage fest.

anyhow, check out POE. she is bad-a$$. "Haunted" is a masterpiece.

Listening to her stuff now now - Thanks, haven't heard of her before.

*Ned

posted on Aug, 30 2012 @ 07:38 PM
link   
It's not that women can't write music, they can, it's that the music industry is, and has been, male dominated.

In the late 70's women became more accepted by the music industry, but it's still male dominated and the company execs still see women as objects of desire, and do not take them seriously as writers.

Also women that are cute, and can sing, are more likely to gain industry interest than a women who is more homely but can write amazing songs.

Men do not totally escape this either. A good looking singer/songwriter will be taken more notice of than an ugly one.

new topics

top topics

<<   2 >>

join