It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Police Embrace Social Media As Crime Fighting Tool

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Aug, 30 2012 @ 01:55 PM
link   
Greetings, ATS!

Just in case you needed another reason to drop the facebook and twitter accounts, here's something to consider.

Police look at what information is public and sometimes create fake online identities to befriend suspects and view their private information. Authorities also can request private data directly from social networks with subpoenas or warrants, or make an emergency request for user information if they think there's an imminent threat of danger.
These techniques are slowly catching on across the country. According to a recent survey of 1,221 federal, state and local law enforcement who use social media, four out of five officials used social media to gather intelligence during investigations. Half said they checked social media at least once a week, and the majority said social media helps them solve crimes faster. The online survey was conducted by LexisNexis Risk Solutions and had a 2.8% margin of error.
The survey found that Facebook is the most fruitful social network for law enforcement, followed by YouTube.

Now I actually don't have a problem with this, it sounds like smart investigation tactics to me. If someone is fool enough to post incriminating statements and photos online, then they forfeit all expectations to privacy.

I still use my facebook to keep in touch with friends and family around the world, but I never put anything on there I wouldn't be comfortable seeing on a billboard. So far that policy has served me well.

Thoughts?

posted on Aug, 30 2012 @ 03:36 PM
link   
I agree. Any time I get on the net or use my phone I do it under the premise that it can be and probably is monitored. I think it is only nessasary for law enforcment to do this if they want to stay on par with the criminal industry. If the information is posted publicly then they wouldn;t even need a warrant. Also seizing ones online activity with a warrant is no different than seizing someones books/records in any other criminal investigation. Anyone who posts their criminal activity online deserves to get caught in my opinion.

posted on Aug, 31 2012 @ 12:05 PM
link   
I think people have to be stupid to sign up for facebook or twitter in the first place- no exceptions. But to broadcast your criminal activity over it that is just over the top stupid, like the should not be allowed to breed kind of stupid.

posted on Aug, 31 2012 @ 02:00 PM
link   
I agree, it is a good tool. Always assume you're being monitored.

I don't have Facebook, but i do have Twitter to drop a line to my kids who are currently spread far and wide.

I figure, don't post anything online my mother would be embarrassed to see or read and i'll be alright.

If someone is stupid enough to post something incriminating, then they get what they deserve.

posted on Aug, 31 2012 @ 02:30 PM
link   
reply to post by smyleegrl

Here in Australia they are pushing for tougher laws on internet trolls...

The NSW police commissioner says it's not easy for authorities to pursue and punish so-called trolls who post abusive, bullying comments online under the cover of anonymity.

Andrew Scipione says online wars of words, like the vicious Twitter exchanges that have put TV personality Charlotte Dawson in hospital, can be devastating to bullying victims and their loved ones.

No doubt when a TV personality if affected, we must get tougher on this type of behavior. Give me a break

'We've been watching this happening over recent years, we know that this does cause enormous grief to families, to those that are the subject of attacks,' Mr Scipione told reporters in Sydney on Friday.

The incident has led the national crisis support service Lifeline to question the diligence of social media in monitoring cyber-bullying, and the federal coalition has called for changes to laws to better protect people from harassment.

I have a better idea. 1) Block the people who are doing it. 2) Stop crying like babies and grow some balls..

As for that TV personality, All I can say is, Must be a weak minded person to allow a social website to put you in hospital regardless of what is being said.. If you can't handle it, then get off it.. Watching this woman on the news was truely sickening... But also funny for some reason.

www.skynews.com.au...

posted on Aug, 31 2012 @ 02:37 PM
link   
I'm torn on this issue. On one hand, I'm all for the police using Facebook to get the bad guys. There's something wrong with the majority of bad guys. They have this compulsive need to brag about their crimes. They even video tape themselves committing crimes. If the police can use this to sweep 'em up, I say go for it.

Problem is, once this starts then it won't stop. They will expand it to cover everyone and George Orwell wins. If the police were confined by the Fourth Amendment then maybe it won't be as bad as I think. But then again the government doesn't seem to be bothered by the Fourth anymore. So honestly, I don't know which way to go.

posted on Aug, 31 2012 @ 02:40 PM
link   
reply to post by Foundryman

The fourth amendment has NOTHING to do with this, if you publicly announce things you have no right to privacy as there is no search or seizure.

top topics

join