It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Coal miners say they were forced to attend Romney event and donate

page: 3
<< 1  2    4  5  6 >>

join
share:

posted on Aug, 28 2012 @ 09:36 PM
link   
reply to post by AwakeinNM

Ron Paul is honestly the only presidential candidate who has never stooped to such tactics. There's also Libertarian candidate Gary Johnson, most people overlook the fact there is still a viable third-party candidate - although how viable can he be without billions bankrolling his campaign?

posted on Aug, 28 2012 @ 09:49 PM
link   
reply to post by Blackmarketeer

Knew something was very odd about this staged event. A group of coal miners acting as a backdrop for a Romney campaign stop, and yes, they are standing their with coal-smeared grimy faces and overalls even though they didn't work that day...

This is really one of the most horrible things that I have yet seen come out of the RMoney campaign....

It really goes to show you just where his loyalties LIE..... and exactly what a RMoney presidency would look like....

Decent, hard working people, forced into slavery for the benefit of Rmoney's.... well..... Money....

Absolutely despicable, they should seriously consider some sort of class action lawsuit, or something... or maybe just send RMoney some coal for Christmas... lol

posted on Aug, 28 2012 @ 09:53 PM
link   

Originally posted by frankensence
On a side note; coal is a dying industry. Most big electric utilities have been mmoving away from coal for 2 decades. Too expensive to mine, too expensive to ship. Most utilities are switching to natural gas and nuclear energy. Much cleaner, much cheaper. Natural gas has been supplanting coal by the widest margin.

Anyone thinking Obama or Dems are 'killing coal' are ignoring the bigger picture - simple economics are what's killing coal, and good riddance to it, too.

Check out the $/BTU of coal and compare it with natural gas. Real 2010 minemouth price for U.S. coal is about $1.76 per million Btu ; gas is about $2.80. Look at Powder River Basin coal mining techniques. It is not difficult to mine. Nuclear is definitely not "much cheaper" unless the plant was sold at fire sale prices during deregulation.
Coal is being killed because the idiot lawyers at EPA have somehow made CO2 a 'toxic gas.' This is the first step in forcing the move to renewables. Don't exhale.

posted on Aug, 28 2012 @ 09:54 PM
link   

Mitt Rummy just made Obama voters of the miners.

posted on Aug, 28 2012 @ 10:05 PM
link   
reply to post by pteridine

Take a look at the 'levelized' costs, on the Wiki page Cost of electricity by source

Natural gas would indeed appear cheaper. Hydro is also cheaper than coal, but obviously limited in where it can be used.

posted on Aug, 28 2012 @ 10:24 PM
link   

Originally posted by TXRabbit
Not sure what they're complaining about. It's not like anyone is holding a gun to their head and saying "you must be a coal miner. You must join the union. You must miss work when told and attend events when told."

If they don't like it - quit.

Ohh...that's right. They're uneducated imbeciles who don't know HOW to do anything else - far be it from trying to actually Learn something.

Yeah....let's feel sorry for them.
_javascript:gvid()
Booo

Hooo

You obviously didn't read the original post or look for source material.. since you're lazy I'll make it easy for you.. just watch the video.

video.msnbc.msn.com...

posted on Aug, 28 2012 @ 10:48 PM
link   

Oh never mind that Obama wants to eliminate their jobs and bankrupt their industry altogether. where do people come up with this *^$(?

posted on Aug, 28 2012 @ 11:04 PM
link   

Originally posted by Blackmarketeer

Take a look at the 'levelized' costs, on the Wiki page Cost of electricity by source

Natural gas would indeed appear cheaper. Hydro is also cheaper than coal, but obviously limited in where it can be used.

That link assumes new plants. Consider that existing coal plants produce electricity at a lower cost than new gas fired plants. Note also that the costs include incentives, tax credits, etc. so they are also skewed toward natural gas and renewables.
As a point of interest the estimate of Coal costs with CCS [carbon capture and sequestration, a pipe dream of the Congress and enviro folk] is a bit low. If you would like to know how CCS would affect your electric bill, start by doubling it. Of course, the lawyers won't let it happen, anyway. CCS is DOA because of RCRA.
The attack on coal is just the first step. Natural gas will be next as the evil, toxic CO2 is blamed for a natural climate cycle. The good intentioned pave our way to Hell. They should lead by example and be the first to go without power as they try to save the world.

posted on Aug, 28 2012 @ 11:13 PM
link   
I say this is a hoax story.

If the OP statements were true, it'd be all over the MSM since the MSM only supports leftists.

posted on Aug, 28 2012 @ 11:16 PM
link   
I'm having a hard time believing this story. You mean out of all of those hardworking (and likely very moral) miners not even one bothered to express any resentment or to reveal the truth to the American people during a live event? I would have got Joe and Bubba to push Romney aside then stand up there to give an address. Others would whip out some signs, even if it meant hiding them in their pants. It's worth losing your job (you'll gain publicity from it anyway). It's worth that 1,000,000,000x over.

If this story is true then I'm not disgusted with what the Romney campaign did as much as I am of how servile, selfish and submissive our society has become.
edit on 28-8-2012 by TheLegend because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 28 2012 @ 11:48 PM
link   
Coal miners lost pay when Mitt Romney visited their mine to promote coal jobs

For those doubting the veracity of this story;

The Pepper Pike company that owns the Century Mine told workers that attending the Aug. 14 Romney event would be both mandatory and unpaid, a top company official said Monday morning in a West Virginia radio interview.

A group of employees who feared they'd be fired if they didn't attend the campaign rally in Beallsville, Ohio, complained about it to WWVA radio station talk show host David Blomquist. Blomquist discussed their beefs on the air Monday with Murray Energy Chief Financial Officer Rob Moore.

Moore said on air during the radio interview that his manager "communicated to our workforce that the attendance at the Romney event was mandatory, but no one was forced to attend."

Blomquist said that he got multiple emails and phone calls from Murray Energy workers who felt that they were intimidated into attending Romney's appearance. He said employees were told they'd have to forfeit the day's pay unless they could make up their missed hours on overtime or weekends.

In the radio interview between Bloomquist, Moore, and the workers, many of them claimed they feared they might be "fired if they didn’t" attend.

There's an extensive history between Moore (CFO of Murray Energy Company), and Bob Murray (CEO) and Romney. Murray Energy has donated more than $900,000 to Romney and Romney has also made appearances at other Murray Energy events.

This is just a simple example of powerless workers made to do their masters bidding.

posted on Aug, 28 2012 @ 11:55 PM
link   

Originally posted by TXRabbit
Not sure what they're complaining about. It's not like anyone is holding a gun to their head and saying "you must be a coal miner. You must join the union. You must miss work when told and attend events when told."

If they don't like it - quit.

Ohh...that's right. They're uneducated imbeciles who don't know HOW to do anything else - far be it from trying to actually Learn something.

Yeah....let's feel sorry for them.

Booo

Hooo

(sorry for the rant. I have nothing against miners specifically. I just can't stand it when people take anything that's totally in their own control and shift accountability when something bad happens).

It is apparent that you have never been in an underground coal mine. It would take you a while to learn how to do things without getting yourself or your shiftmates killed. You should try going down a coal mine some time and see what miners do just so that you can plug in your hair dryer whenever you want. These folks are working to survive and can't quit or their families will suffer. Maybe someday when you are done with school and have actual responsibilities you will land a job. When you have abusive bosses that force you to lose work, you can quit so nobody will Booo Hooo for you....just your wife and hungry kids you can't feed.

posted on Aug, 29 2012 @ 02:59 AM
link   
wow such a sad story, really it truly is, and now we know why they work in coal mines, small brains and no backbone (wipes tear off cheek) my employer tries to get me do stupid crap all the time, my answer is always the same, do i get paid, no? ok ill be home thank you for the invite, i do not even go to company barb -q because its on my day off lol

still got my job years later.

posted on Aug, 29 2012 @ 09:26 AM
link   
To those that are insulting the coal miners intelligence or integrity - that's pretty low and shameful.

Whoever thinks working in a coal mine is "easy" or "simple" must really be living in la-la land. So their job doesn't require knowledge of C++, open heart surgery or commodity leveraging ... but these guys are not stupid. Proof? They're still alive. Also you can bet they have more balls almost all of us tapping away away on our keyboards put together.

Not to mention the job they're doing is powering almost all of our lights, refrigerators and computers. Show a little appreciation.

Another thing - it might be epic to "stick it to the man" and walk off the job while flipping your boss the bird, but easier said than done when you have a family to feed and a mortgage to pay. You'd show up at the BBQ if it meant your job ... besides, only anti-social morons would pass up free BBQ with their co-workers - unless you must be so far above them. Why are you even working there?

You are not better than these people. You sound like elitist @ssholes when you insult them.
edit on 8/29/2012 by RedParrotHead because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 29 2012 @ 09:35 AM
link   
reply to post by RedParrotHead

but i'm pretty sure the ceo and the board sure got their pay check that day.

posted on Aug, 29 2012 @ 09:47 AM
link   
Romney Hood now needs a theme song. Any suggestions?

Ron Paul is honestly the only presidential candidate who has never stooped to such tactics. There's also Libertarian candidate Gary Johnson, most people overlook the fact there is still a viable third-party candidate - although how viable can he be without billions bankrolling his campaign?

In the information age he can become very viable if he is genuine. In the future one might consider the possibility that the PTB will have to resort to voting fraud if the role of money in an election dimnishes.
edit on 29-8-2012 by Cassius666 because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 29 2012 @ 09:55 AM
link   

Thank you pteridine, from the daughter of blacksmiths, who put horseshoes on the mules in the mines.

It always gives me pleasure to sing the praises of the hard workers on whos backs this country was built, many who worked to supply electricity to homes while having no electricity themselves.

I encourage everyone to read the history of the Appalachians, where they settled from and their contribution to this country, and their contribution to fair labor laws, that people that criticize them enjoy today, that the miners fought and died for.
Including the rich history of their music.

God bless them.

youtu.be...

posted on Aug, 29 2012 @ 10:05 AM
link   

Originally posted by pteridine
It is apparent that you have never been in an underground coal mine. It would take you a while to learn how to do things without getting yourself or your shiftmates killed. You should try going down a coal mine some time and see what miners do just so that you can plug in your hair dryer whenever you want. These folks are working to survive and can't quit or their families will suffer. Maybe someday when you are done with school and have actual responsibilities you will land a job. When you have abusive bosses that force you to lose work, you can quit so nobody will Booo Hooo for you....just your wife and hungry kids you can't feed.

You are 100% correct my friend. I have never been in an underground coal mine nor do I have plans to visit one anytime soon. I decided in my early 20's that I didn't want to spend the rest of my life coming home from long hours and having to wash grime off of my hands before eating dinner with my family, so I decided to pick up some books, learn some skills in current-trending careers and take it upon myself to improve my quality of life.

I didn't finish college. I have a GED from high school and currently work in a technology field making close to 6 figures a year with a huge house, a wonderful family, 3 cars and nobody telling me I have to donate to campaigns or attend rallies.

So yes - I do have responsibilities and yes, I have landed a job. I don't use a hairdryer but if powering my wife's becomes a concern, I'll take it upon myself to create a solution.

Coal is soooo 1920's anyway..

posted on Aug, 29 2012 @ 10:17 AM
link   
West Virginia's Mine Wars

www.wvculture.org...

In the largest uprising in the United States outside of the Civil War, thousands of miners waged armed warfare in Logan County, West Virginia against mine owners, the sheriff and federal troops in an effort to unionize the mines in 1921.

The battle marked the first time U.S. troops were ordered to bomb civilians. The United Mine Workers (UMW) enjoyed widespread support among the general population and were the first industrial union to admit African Americans on an equal basis.
youtu.be...

What would you be willing to fight and die for, I often wonder .

posted on Aug, 29 2012 @ 10:19 AM
link   

Originally posted by TheGreatDivider
I'd blame the unions.
That's the only reason they don't have a voice.

I'd say this has less to do with the unions and more to do with the employer. No union would ever stand behind Mitts way of doing business. It isn't in their best interest.

top topics

<< 1  2    4  5  6 >>

join