It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Please Help:

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Aug, 28 2012 @ 05:49 AM
link   
I've unfortunately had to use Public Network (I don't do anything like (banking or paying online that require personal information) and I think I'm doing it as secure as I can, I don't go into any PDF or files or anything either.

Now I'm getting Linksys 2 Public network and it keeps giving me this message something about 2 different IP addresses, well as I don't like Google or Bing (they're too nosy) I do use a different search engine. So, now instead of getting what I used to get Radio Type 802.11n I'm getting 802.11gn and screwing with my capability to get on the public wi-fi. Due to economy I can't afford to get AT&T or Comcast internet service. My rent was just raised.

Have Acer Aspire 32 bit Windows 7 starter edition one Intel Atom Processor N 450 (166GHz 512 KB cache) 1 gb Memory Storage 160 GB HDD.) Realize this is an older model machine, can't afford any upgrades this was it, as a small luxury)

I'm getting a break every now and then when I can post or get replies would appreciate any help.
edit on 28-8-2012 by 1loserel2 because: change

edit on 28-8-2012 by 1loserel2 because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 28 2012 @ 05:54 AM
link   
reply to post by 1loserel2

the 'g' is an older spec.

posted on Aug, 28 2012 @ 06:00 AM
link   
reply to post by acacko

Yes, I understand a little bit but what is the small gn it used to be g now gn is appearing next to the 802.11g now it's 802.11gn and instead of linksys public network its linksys 2 public network. Thanks

posted on Sep, 22 2012 @ 11:45 PM
link   

Originally posted by 1loserel2
Now I'm getting Linksys 2 Public network and it keeps giving me this message something about 2 different IP addresses...

So, now instead of getting what I used to get Radio Type 802.11n I'm getting 802.11gn...

I know this thread is a bit old, but hopefully this post can be helpful to others who are having connectivity issues.

It sounds like a) the owner of the router opened a second connection on their router b) set up a new public wireless network or c) someone else set up a network nearby.
There's not much you can do about it...but it shouldn't be a problem. Can you still access the internet?

If you can't get on the internet, try the following:
1) hold the windows button down and push the r key.
2) type cmd into the box that pops up and hit enter
3) type the following and hit enter: ping google.com

If you get a bunch of numbers then go on to step 4. If not, then go to step 10.

4) Go to Start->Control Panel-> Internet Options
5) Go to the Connections tab.
6) Click the LAN Settings button
7) Make sure that the box next to "Automatically Detect Settings" is the only one checked.
8) Hit OK on both windows.
9) Try getting online again.

Hopefully the problem has been fixed. If not, tell me what results you are getting from the instructions above and I'll try and get back to you about a possible solution.

10) In the cmd window, type the following and hit enter: ipconfig /release
11) In the cmd window, type the following and hit enter: ipconfig /flushDNS
12) In the cmd window, type the following and hit enter: ipconfig /renew

new topics

top topics

join